Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 06:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times

Advertisements

For the first time in many years, I'm living alone again at age 52.

Both of my children are now living with their significant others at their respective SO's parents' homes. Such is the reality of the Los Angeles economy and insane rents coupled with stagnant wages! My daughter is 30 years old, and my son is 27. My son was the last one to leave.

This feels weird. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the quiet now has a different feel to it. I'm glad I have my two cats as company!

As a mom/parent, I'm happy. We hopefully raise our kids to be independent, functioning adults! It's just that this is an indication of how quickly the time has passed. When you're in the middle of raising your kids, it seems like it'll never end - especially when they're little and very demanding. Seriously, though, if you blink you miss it!

By the way, my daughter is applying to graduate school to become a speech therapist. My son is trying to get promoted at Ralphs (local supermarket chain owned by Kroger). He currently makes $15/hour, which is nothing here.

My children took very different paths; my daughter is all about education. My son saw that she couldn't get a decent job (she graduated in 2009, so you can just imagine...), and he decided not to go into debt with tons of student loans. I still wish he had at least completed his AA, because a high school graduate just doesn't have many career options. He's lucky to be working at Ralphs, which is union; he has great benefits.

We had many challenges as a family, and I raised them by myself from 1997 on (they were 11 and 8), and yet somehow I've raised my kids to be amazing, wonderful people. It can be done, so everyone hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 07:00 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
Thank you for the encouragement; I'm definitely "in the weeds" with a 7 and 13 year old. But with each passing year I'm reminded that although the days (and nights!) can be long; the years fly by faster than I could have ever imagined. I can imagine being an empty nester is bittersweet; and that silence for you may at times be deafening. Best wishes as you move on with the next phase of your life; don't worry, no matter how old they get, they'll always need their mom!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:23 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Welcome to the Empty Nesters Club!

DH and I have adjusted well. But we DO miss them every single day.
We now have the time and money to do things that we put off while having kids in the house.

The thing I did not consider was how much I would miss their friends and the flurry of activity in our house. And we now have things in our pantry and fridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
. My son saw that she couldn't get a decent job (she graduated in 2009, so you can just imagine...)
Sorry to hear it was bad in your area.
My son and his wife graduated in 2009. They and all their friends got jobs, in their majors, right out of college.
Did she not want to relocate?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:13 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Pitt Chick, I don't think she ever seriously considered relocating. Most of her friends and family are here, after all.

Give me a couple of weeks to get used to it, and I'm sure I'll be fine. Helping my daughter plan her court house wedding on December 4th will help distract me, too. (She needs at least a dress and a small bouquet, right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting