Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:38 PM

165 posts, read 118,497 times

Advertisements

I will be seeing my parents and relatives next week and I know they're going to make comments about me not calling / visiting enough. My mother has already started saying things via text so I know it's coming.

They are older and perfectly nice people and I love them but I have not felt like visiting (it's the longest I've gone without visiting actually) for several reasons even though I live fairly close. I really don't want to hear it and feel uncomfortable even though I know they're entitled to feel how they feel.

I wont' be able to just ignore it because they will say it more than once. So I want to have a few phrases or something so I don't overreact or react in a negative angry way or get defensive and then put a negative spin on the visit. Especially with the holidays coming.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
How about telling them the truth!
So..
Why don't you visit them?

Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
You can also remind them that visiting goes both ways, especially if they live that close. Why can't they come over? Are they too lazy to make the drive?

Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 PM

Pitt Chick

Because the truth is complicated, it's partly about them, and I don't feel like sharing it with them.

I was never much of a visit type person but did so more often than I would like to because I know they enjoy the visits.

But lately I have not pushed myself and so some time has gone by.

Falconhead

They would have no problem visiting if I invited them...I don't necessarily want them visiting me either.

I just don't feel like visiting, or being visited.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:52 PM

I'm realizing it may be hard to give ways to deal with the bombardment without judging whether the fact that I am not visiting enough is right or wrong.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:58 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Deal with it, or visit more often. Somehow, I don't think "I don't feel like visiting with you" is going to be well received, even if it's the honest answer. There's always the old standby "I've been busy".

Old 11-05-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Somehow, I don't think "I don't feel like visiting with you" is going to be well received, even if it's the honest answer.
No...otherwise I would have already said it.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:26 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Default Here's an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
I'm realizing it may be hard to give ways to deal with the bombardment without judging whether the fact that I am not visiting enough is right or wrong.
If you can find it in your heart to do it, when they have begun the 'bombardment', say something like this:

"Please forgive me for disappointing you, it was not my intention to hurt you."

And the pleasantly go on speaking of other things. If they go back to the topic, say it Again. And Again, as long as they bring it up. Don't you bring it up again. And change the subject each time right after you've said it.

I'm guessing you'll be going through this exchange a few times, but hopefully sooner or later they will accept what you're saying.

You know, in every relationship in our lives, we inevitably fall short of the other person's expectations. It can be such a healing step to ask for forgiveness.

(BTW, I'm certainly not judging you....)

Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Just smile and say you have been very busy and you are glad to spend quality time with them. Stress the quality over quantity.

Say...I'm so glad we get to spend quality time together. It really makes me treasure the time we spend together, because we aren't in each other's pockets all the time.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Deal with it, or visit more often.
Somehow, I don't think "I don't feel like visiting with you" is going to be well received, even if it's the honest answer. There's always the old standby "I've been busy".
Can you say something specific, like "Since my job promotion I have had to work a lot more weekends" (or I have had many more responsibilities, more paperwork, whatever) or "Now that I am volunteering for Save the Whales (whatever) it is difficult to find time to do everything that I want to do" or "I'm taking a college class which takes up a lot of my free time" or something else that is the truth (even if you have to stretch it a little)?

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-05-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting