Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 11:16 PM

158 posts, read 215,652 times

Advertisements

It's birthday season here, my 5YO has 6 invites on my fridge. I've just picked her up from a party. No pressies opened, Of course. IT'S NOT RUDE! It's not the done thing here. Sheesh people. Just because something is different doesn't make it rude! Maybe in your social circle it would be & that's what you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 12:22 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
I can understand when you have a large party and are maybe at a place where you only have rented a few hours. But if you have a small party and are at home/have no time limit, why not? I like seeing kids faces when they open a gift you give them!

Old 11-08-2015, 04:44 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
Kids love to see the birthday child open the present they got them. I say open them at the party.

If you're worried about one kid being jealous about what the birthday boy/girl got, well they'll have to learn to suck it up. Life isn't all fair and equal.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,033 times
My kids always enjoy watching the birthday kid open presents. It seems most kids do.

Like others have said, sometimes it's a matter of time, though. If it's a big party at a venue, with a 1.5 or 2-hour time period allotted before the next group moves in, you might not make it. I play it by ear, when hosting at these types of places. If the kids are bored or done with the activity (jumping on inflatables, for example) and there's an hour left, bring out the presents. But, if they're all engaged and happy, leave them be, and take presents home. I've done both, depending upon how party is flowing. Neither is rude, IMO.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:50 PM

162 posts, read 212,779 times
My rule of thumb is over 10 guests, open later, under 10 guests, open at the party. I don't think it's rude either way, just a preference. Small children get bored when too many gifts are opened.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:10 PM

155 posts, read 233,884 times
Growing up it was normal to always open at the party, half the fun is seeing the reaction, right? Always did it right around cake time, I can't remember if it was before or after, but probably after?

With that said, in some cultures, its considered rude to open at the party.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:57 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,902,753 times
where I live, it's very rare to have kids open gifts at a party. Between my kids, I've probably been to 50 parties and I've seen presents opened at maybe 5. It seems to be either there is no time, kids want to keep playing, or parents don't want to invite the situation where some presents are deemed cool by the kids and others aren't. I get that.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times
I really prefer them not being opened. That way you don't have to worry the child won't like it, or will get 2 of them, etc. They can just quietly exchange.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
I don't think either is rude per se but I do understand why parents will choose not to open presents in front of friends, even beyond the reason of venue or timing. My best friend is wealthy and has friends (and her children have friends) or all incomes. Her daughters bestie, I will call her Anna, is very nice child whose parents are struggling since the recession. I know the mom of Anna (appreciates it greatly when presents are not opened at parties. She is no longer able to put in as much monetary value to presents and some parents are super catty about those types of things (though I have never seen the kids do it). Besides, as has been pointed out, it puts the emphasis back on the celebration of the event and less about the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting