Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:05 AM

217 posts, read 247,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You know what? If I went to an upper dining place and they handed me a "please remember" card about how they expect my children to behave, I'd be fine with it. It wouldn't be an insult. But to be so condescending and make it for the kid...that's offensive. You don't get to talk to my kid. Or make the rules. Or get to me through them.

How stupid are some people?

P.s. The restaurant in question is not so great. Been there. I should send some note cards to their wait staff and servers on how to do their job. Clearly, the owners don't like kids. Bottom line.

Pps when you mock us by calling our children our special snowflake you lost the battle. Go home.
I'm sure they LOVED getting advice from you. You seem like a real hoot to be around. (sarcasm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
I'm sure they LOVED getting advice from you. You seem like a real hoot to be around. (sarcasm)
I didn't give them advice. I said they need it. Thanks for the insult.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:33 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The card is addressed and written to the child in order to get to me through them. No, that's not ok. Hand me a adult, non-condescending version and I am fine with it. I am not ok with the way they went about it.
I still don't understand why you are all bunged up about this card. I read it. If you want to take it as speaking directly to the child, even so, all they are saying to your children is how children will behave on their property. Why do you have a problem with people telling your children the rules on their property ?

When teachers explain rules (are they even allowed to HAVE rules anymore ?!) to your children, do you jump all over them for "talking" to your children rather than you ?

Old 11-16-2015, 02:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Since I nearly never notice a child misbehaving, I think more people need to get zen about it and stop being so uptight. The only person who is ruining your meal is yourself if you allow yourself to get hot and bothered about kids being kids.
This has to be one of the parents, that are causing problems in restaurants. That kind of action by kids, is unacceptable and disrespectful to the other customers.

Quote:
I've been to this eating establishment. It isn't "all that". It clearly has an owner easily annoyed by children.
No it is an owner, that is trying to protect his other customers from noisy and upsetting conditions that are ruining there meals. He is annoyed that any parents are not keeping their kids under control. I say this as a parent, grandparent, and great grandparent.

I remember being in a restaurant years ago. A real upscale restaurant. Two couples with bratty kids, were really upsetting the customers. People at a group of tables called the manager over, and informed him that they were all going to walk out and never come back if he did not get those kids quieted down and under control. It involved well over 50 people.

It is too bad, that restaurant owners finally after lots of complaints from other customers, have to take steps to require them to make rules for children. It is not the restaurant owner is upset by kids being kids as the two people above say, but is upset by the complaints that customers are passing on to him when kids ruin their dining experience. As a father of 5, and a grandfather of 12 I am speaking as a restaurant tenant. We took our kids to restaurants, and our grand kids to restaurants, and we never allowed them to have anything but what we called Sunday Best Manners. We taught them social graces before we would take them out in public.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
As I have said like 100 times, my kids are quite well behaved in restaurants. I get regular compliments on their behavior. Still I hardly notice kids acting out without the parents trying to fix the problem urgently.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,683 times
Maybe they have your child's safety in mind as well. ^^^

Old 11-16-2015, 05:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We are in the Parenting subforum. Use your imagination.
From jannd:

Quote:
I think you should read your posts, seems you are the one carrying on a pissing contest..maybe less personal..more on topic..just a friendly suggestion, jannd
Kindly address me in the forum on the topic and not through reputation comments. Thank you.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:58 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
If this place doesn't want to outright ban kids, my suggestion would be to provide crayons and coloring sheets for them. That has worked to get some kids from running amok.
It is the obligation of the parents, not the restaurant, to prevent the children from misbehaving.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This has to be one of the parents, that are causing problems in restaurants. That kind of action by kids, is unacceptable and disrespectful to the other customers.

No it is an owner, that is trying to protect his other customers from noisy and upsetting conditions that are ruining there meals. He is annoyed that any parents are not keeping their kids under control. I say this as a parent, grandparent, and great grandparent.

I remember being in a restaurant years ago. A real upscale restaurant. Two couples with bratty kids, were really upsetting the customers. People at a group of tables called the manager over, and informed him that they were all going to walk out and never come back if he did not get those kids quieted down and under control. It involved well over 50 people.

It is too bad, that restaurant owners finally after lots of complaints from other customers, have to take steps to require them to make rules for children. It is not the restaurant owner is upset by kids being kids as the two people above say, but is upset by the complaints that customers are passing on to him when kids ruin their dining experience. As a father of 5, and a grandfather of 12 I am speaking as a restaurant tenant. We took our kids to restaurants, and our grand kids to restaurants, and we never allowed them to have anything but what we called Sunday Best Manners. We taught them social graces before we would take them out in public.
Yup. When I was a kid, my brother as well, my parents didn't take us out to eat until we were old enough and disciplined enough to behave in a restaurant. If we misbehaved or were disruptive, we were removed immediately. But we rarely ever misbehaved when out to eat, because I actually had good parents. Seriously though my parents have always said my brother and I were very good in restaurants and other public places, because they wouldn't allow it any other way. If we ever threw tantrums at a store or something as toddlers or really young kids, my mom would place everything she intended to buy down and walk us right out.

Great post overall. I have also been to restaurants where little kids run amok. I've had them barreling into the back of my chair as they anxiously/while bored walk or run around their table, I've had them appear next to me and rest their chins on our table or peek up at our food or suddenly appear right beside me interested in what's going on at our table, I've had them constantly kicking my chair or me, through the chair. It's not common but when it happens it's a nuisance and I always shoot glares at the idiot parents who seem to be blind to their angels' misbehavior.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:43 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
What is the big deal? I cant imagine why parents of behaved children would find that offensive. Very simple solution-discipline your kids. If they can't behave in public then they stay home. I hated taking my daughter out anywhere when she was little because she was a p.i.t.a. Do we need to "talk" in the restroom worked pretty well for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting