Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 10:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,461,760 times

Advertisements

Kids in restaurants are a contentious issue. Some people have no problem bringing tiny infants to very posh fine-dining restaurants, while others seem to be of the opinion that no person under the age of 18 should be allowed in a restaurant that does not have a singing mouse on staff. But now one Texas restaurant has struck for a middle ground with a set of “rules cards” telling kids in the restaurant how to behave.

Texas Restaurant Hands Out Rule Cards For Children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 11:01 PM

158 posts, read 214,978 times
It's a sad reflection on society that a restaurant has to resort to this! I've read about a couple of Cafes that have either shut down completely or closed their kids area because of the disgusting behaviour of parents & their uncontrolled kids. (in Australia)

Kids in any restaurant, be it Maccas or somewhere more 5* should sit & eat & not annoy other patrons. That goes for adults too! Of course kids should eat out with their families, at any restaurant they please, save the 'special occasion' ones.
If I'm having a nice dinner with my family I don't want to be drowned out by screaming kids or drunks alike.

If we're eating out with the kids we tend to eat early though, like 6pm, when kids & a bit of noise can be expected.
There is no excuse to allow your child to wonder around a cafe or restaurant, scream at the top of their lungs, visit other tables (urg!) etc. It's just rude. Parents who do nothing to rein in their kids behaviour are the worst! Sure a kid may talk too loudly or cry, it's expected at a certain age. But it's also expected that a parent would help to minimise this.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,136,173 times
This story has been making the local news here in Houston the past week or so. Obviously, handing out a "rule card" is largely symbolic and essentially a gesture that says the establishment has low tolerance for misbehavior. I presume they are prepared to follow through and remove patrons who have kids out of control.

Last night we went out to dinner at an expensive steakhouse and our kids (8 and 5) were with us. We started taking them to nice restaurants about a year ago. Their behavior is very good. On those occasions where their voices carry without them realizing it, or if they attempt to get out of their chair, they get reminded not to do that. We take them outside if need be, but it's been a couple of years since we've had to even do that.

I can't even fathom allowing my children to even stand adjacent to our table for any period of time (let alone someone else's), or to go anywhere in the restaurant unaccompanied (like the bathroom). I agree it's rude.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 11-08-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,216,630 times
I think its sad that a restaurant has to remind people what is acceptable behavior but I also thinks its sad the number of parents who don't teach their children how to behave and who don't see anything wrong with letting their kids disturb patrons and pose a danger to servers.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,538,935 times
This isn't a new issue. I grew up in the 50's. I remember 2 times when restaurant managers commented to my parents about how well behaved we kids were in comparison to many other kids. I also remember seeing the huge messes some kids left on the table and floor and seeing them make every sort of commotion. So it's not just parents of today; even the "greatest generation" had some parents who did poorly.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
Wondering if they have a similar attitude toward adult misbehavior. ...loud cell phone conversations, profanity loud enough to be heard by other tables, inebriated patrons and the like. Children aren't the only ones who can forget their manners. I have no issue with businesses politely requesting disruptive patrons (of any age) adjust their behavior or leave.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,918,608 times
I think the gentle reminder is a wonderful idea!
I wish more places did it.
If you want to let your little darling run wild, take them to Chuckee Cheese. It is expected there.
If you want to go to Pizza Ranch, or Red Lobster, or Olive Garden, teach your kids to behave properly. If you haven't been able to teach them proper etiquette at the dinner table at home, don't bring them with you. The rest of us who patronize the place don't want to hear them or see them, except sitting quietly in their seats.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:56 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,676,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
This isn't a new issue. I grew up in the 50's. I remember 2 times when restaurant managers commented to my parents about how well behaved we kids were in comparison to many other kids. I also remember seeing the huge messes some kids left on the table and floor and seeing them make every sort of commotion. So it's not just parents of today; even the "greatest generation" had some parents who did poorly.
Yes, this is nothing really new...but I do think it's seen more because people in general go out to eat more than they did.

I remember going out with some of my parent's friends families in the 70s....their kids were horrible.....loud, running around....pounding on the fish tank in the lobby. We never went out to dinner with them again that I recall.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:07 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,836,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I think the gentle reminder is a wonderful idea!
I wish more places did it.
If you want to let your little darling run wild, take them to Chuckee Cheese. It is expected there.
If you want to go to Pizza Ranch, or Red Lobster, or Olive Garden, teach your kids to behave properly. If you haven't been able to teach them proper etiquette at the dinner table at home, don't bring them with you. The rest of us who patronize the place don't want to hear them or see them, except sitting quietly in their seats.
Red lobster and Olive Garden (no idea what pizza ranch is) are NOT fine dining...or even slightly upscale. They are average family restaurants. Not that kids should run wild but those places have to expect some variation in children's manners and behavior.

Since I nearly never notice a child misbehaving, I think more people need to get zen about it and stop being so uptight. The only person who is ruining your meal is yourself if you allow yourself to get hot and bothered about kids being kids.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,836,601 times
I finally read the article. If I walked in and someone handed me that card, I'd be offended. My kids have very good restaurant manners. But the part that bugs me the most is parents have to attend their child's bathroom breaks? Really? Seriously. Both my kids started going on their own when they were 6, rarely asking for me to tag along. They walk to the bathroom, use the toilet, wash their hands and walk back. How is that bad manners or offensive?

I've been to this eating establishment. It isn't "all that". It clearly has an owner easily annoyed by children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting