U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:52 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Not always. First, whuppins don't work for all (seriously, they do work for some though and as I mentioned, you need to see what works for your children). This isn't about "ritlan and all that stuff." It's about parent training. The 8 year old I just told you about wasn't mentally ill, she was manipulative, very smart, and knew how to get what she wanted. Her parents needed strategies for managing her. Again, some people can do this on their own which is great, but others really need help and I think it invalidates their need to say that they should be able to handle it themselves. It's a fact that these programs can help to prevent abuse/re-abuse, so those who NEED them should take advantage of that. Those who can handle things on their own should.
There are some kids who need those drugs, but no where near the number that are on them. (Look it up). It has become babysitter in a bottle. Is your kid difficult? Just drug them into a zombie state and parenting becomes an easy job. Difficulties with children are the norm. Chemical imbalance to the extent that they need mind alterng drugs is a rare exception. However you would never know it if you took a poll. Dr.s have prescribed Ritalin and other similar drugs for various of our children at different times. After some research we threw the pills away. Guess what, our kids are awesome and turning out great in every way. One of them did need some medication for a while, but it turned out the Ritalin and the similar drugs were not what were needed. those drugs only created a zombie state. ultimately we found the right medication at the right dosage, but we weaned her off it as quickly as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM

934 posts, read 931,803 times
Hell hath no fury like a two year old who wants a cookie....lol

love how they spend all this money to prove points moms and dads have been saying for years.

mediactions are WAY overused. I do vaccines, but keep meds to a minimum ( daughters severely allergic to some plant in our yard and we have prednisone on hand for that, but thats about it) the baby (20 months) has never had a prescription med.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,118,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are some kids who need those drugs, but no where near the number that are on them. (Look it up). It has become babysitter in a bottle. Is your kid difficult? Just drug them into a zombie state and parenting becomes an easy job. Difficulties with children are the norm. Chemical imbalance to the extent that they need mind alterng drugs is a rare exception. However you would never know it if you took a poll. Dr.s have prescribed Ritalin and other similar drugs for various of our children at different times. After some research we threw the pills away. Guess what, our kids are awesome and turning out great in every way. One of them did need some medication for a while, but it turned out the Ritalin and the similar drugs were not what were needed. those drugs only created a zombie state. ultimately we found the right medication at the right dosage, but we weaned her off it as quickly as possible.
This really doesn't need to be a debate about overdiagnosis. I don't need to look it up. I'm in the field. Yes, I know that ADHD/bipolar disorder, etc are overdiagnosed and that medications are overused. I'm not arguing that. I've worked with many children who were on meds that didn't need to be and worked to get them off of them. On the other hand, I've worked with children who really do need meds....we aren't just talking Ritalin here (I actually advocate for use of stuff besides Ritalin if absolutely necessary!). I'm not sure why we are discussing the use of meds. I said that the use of parenting programs can help children/parents even who don't have severe mental illnesses. Parenting programs are didactic in nature and don't involve medication. BTW, the last place I worked at required that EVERY parent who brings their child in participate in a 6 week parent training program because it was proven to 1) reduce the need for meds, 2) reduce parent stress, 3) increase effectiveness of therapy. This is not the debate about use of meds, as we are probably both on the same page. I am arguing with the OP which states that parenting programs are NOT effective when they ARE. BTW, as I mentioned programs such as parent training can help to reduce the use of medication! So, if you are against meds, then I think you would be for parenting programs!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,239,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Children are amazing. They can see through walls to know you're on the phone or on the way to the bathroom by yourself. They have super-power hearing that can detect the change in your breathing that occurs when you wake up just to roll over to go back to sleep on the weekend and then and only then do they scream "MMMMOOOOOMMMMMM" to let you know they are awake and NOT rolling over to go back to sleep. No other creature in the world, other than that slimy little tubish water filled toy you used to play with that would keep falling out of your hands) has the ability to liquify every bone in their body so that an able bodied, full grown human, cannot hold them, make them sit, lay down, stand, etc. They use their jedi-like minds to know when you're thinking, "Please God just let me get out of this store without her screaming for the Cinderella doll by that register-please please please", and then look right at the doll then you with that Chucky doll look letting you know that they know what you're thinking. Until an expert develops a way to combat the skills and powers of these little people, NOTHING will prevent a tantrum....NOTHING!!!!
SO true! I swear they know it is Sat or Sun & parents just want like an extra 30 mins.

That being said...children are children. As parents, it is up to you to determine what your discipline will be & be consistent with it.

Some tantrums are actually age appropriate & are going to happen with each & every child. Other tantrums are just plain nasty & need to be nipped in the bud right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or