Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:15 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,059,268 times

Advertisements

I do not allow ANY child to call me by my first name. EVER. They are not equal to me in any way. Other adults do, but no child does. I don't even like it if a very young adult (20s) do. I most often insist they don't. No child has the right to assume that kind of familiarity with me. When I'm old enough to be someone's parent, they best be respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 AM

756 posts, read 2,215,749 times
I don't let my kids call adults by their first names. Doing so, puts them on the "friendship" level and I think respect is lost. I have some very close friends that are "family" and my kids are allowed to call them Aunt first name and Uncle first name. So, I do make occasional exceptions.

We recently moved from the south to the northeast and you should hear some of the reactions my kids get for answering "yes, sir" and "yes, mam"! Another measure of respect and manners slowly disappearing from society!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 AM

261 posts, read 952,972 times
My son calls all of our neighbors, Mr/Mrs so and so. As do their children do to us. I want my son to respect the adults in his life. He doesn't call his teacher, Vicki, why call our neighbors, Bob and Sue? We do have 1 family that we are close to that he calls them by their first names. But we made an exception to them, as their son also calls us by our first names. I don't know the neighbors well enough to have them call me by my first name. Maybe in 10yrs, we'll see, but probably not.

I am almost 40 and I still call my Preschool Teacher Mrs. so and so. She helped to remind us of our manners when we were 4. I say it like that becuase, she did not teach me my manners, they were learned at home, from my parents. But what I did learn from her, I have I tried to keep with me my whole life and to pass to my children.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Hey, I keep trying to get people to refer to me as Goddess, but those rude people just won't do it.
I do not have this problem with my children at all. They are always calling me "Oh God Dad!"

To which I respond in a booming voice "Yes? God Dad has heard you, you may bow and present your request at any time"

Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,723,123 times
I don't care to be called by my last name, Mrs... I do prefer to be called Miss (first name). But now moving up here to Virginia, my kids friends tend to just go on a first name with me, don't really care for the sound of it coming from a child. My children call their friends mom/dads, Miss or Mr (first name)...

Now growing up, there were certain parents that I called Mr and Mrs and certain ones I went by their first names...not sure why. My best friend's parents, I've known them since I was teeny tiny, I've always called them Mr and Mrs, even when I grew up and got married...then my other best friend, her parents I called by their first names. I don't know which is right. I've always had good manners and my children do to.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,059,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
I don't let my kids call adults by their first names. Doing so, puts them on the "friendship" level and I think respect is lost. I have some very close friends that are "family" and my kids are allowed to call them Aunt first name and Uncle first name. So, I do make occasional exceptions.

We recently moved from the south to the northeast and you should hear some of the reactions my kids get for answering "yes, sir" and "yes, mam"! Another measure of respect and manners slowly disappearing from society!
Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
I am almost 40 and I still call my Preschool Teacher Mrs. so and so. .
I do the same thing, and I've been out a LOOONNNGGG time. I cannot bring my self to call my elders by their first names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not have this problem with my children at all. They are always calling me "Oh God Dad!"

To which I respond in a booming voice "Yes? God Dad has heard you, you may bow and present your request at any time"

*bows humbly* Didn't know God lived in Michigan.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,227,111 times
An adult child relationship is usually a formal one and therfore the child should use Mr or Mrs or Miss etc.

I have a friend who teaches at the local school. Her child is in her class. During school hours the child has to call her Mrs X.

Our children call us mum and dad. Not by our first names.

We have instructed our kids that when our kids visit other peoples houses, they must call the adults Mr & Mrs/Miss X. If they do not know the persons last name, they use sir or mam. Even if the adult tells our kids to call them by their first name, we have instructed our kids to use Mr & Mrs / Miss.

There are a couple of adults that our kids do use first names with. Because it is a casual long tern friendship. For example, the youth paster at our church.

They also use Uncle / Aunty followed by a first name to refer to adult relatives.

I think kids need to show respect and this is one way to do this.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,698,202 times
Am I the only who finds it hilarious that parents who are insisting that their kids say Mr./Mrs. regardless of the other adult's wishes are being just as rude as they don't want their kid to be???

Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,223,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Am I the only who finds it hilarious that parents who are insisting that their kids say Mr./Mrs. regardless of the other adult's wishes are being just as rude as they don't want their kid to be???

I was just thinking that. I am not comfortable with children or anyone calling me Mrs. BLANK. . . . As long as I am treated with respect by anyone regardless of age, they can call me by my first name.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,851,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
No you are not the only one. I do have my children call a person Mr./Mrs./Miss surname at the beginning, but if the adult to whom they are speaking to asks to be called by something else then that is how my children should address them from then on. By having your child disregard the adult's wishes is just as rude as not having them call them Mr./Mrs./Miss surname to start with. If a person to whom my children speak to doesn't ask them to call them by something else, then they continue to address that person as Mr./Mrs./Miss surname.

Personally I really do not care what a child calls me as long as I am not called late to supper, or some foul word or by my ex's last name, which is almost like like calling me a four letter word. LOL!

No seriously, there are times when I have asked a child or have given permission to a child to call me by my first name because they have called me Mrs. ex's surname and that is one name I just do not ever want to be called by again. The only thing I do not like almost as much, is being called Miss my first name here. I know it is common down South for people to do this, but to me, born and bred in the Northwest/Western states it just sounds so phoney and fake and all of this ooey, gooey stuff. It to me is almost as bad as being called Sweetie, Hun (short for honey) and Sug (short for sugar). My Brother-n-law's ex girlfriend from TX used to call me Miss my first name here and so did her kids. It just made my skin crawl when they did and I asked them time and time again to please not call me by that, but they never did stop. I was never so glad when my BIL and her broke up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting