Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 12:34 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

I think it sounds fair, and esp. if you break it down like that, it makes it clear that you are being quite reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I expect the sitter to be straightening up after the kids if the kids are napping, having her lunch, etc.

Now that we just get date night sitters, I don't expect her to be able to put them to sleep so it's a non issue.

I knew a woman who worked overnights at a half way house. Nearly every night she watched tv and went to bed. Rarely had to work. But she made less then the day time workers.
Good Grief! When my kids were young enough to still be napping, many was the day that I collapsed in a heap myself after I got them down. Surely you've read the advice in parenting books to "sleep when the baby sleeps"? I'm not advocating the sitter sleep, but I do think it OK for him/her to have a little break, read a book, do some homework, etc WHILE THE KIDS ARE SLEEPING during the day. When my oldest was a baby, my mother's group had a teacher from the babysitter prep program at the Y come talk to us. She sressed the students were taught to focus on the kids, not the housework.

I'm not sure what a halfway house has to do with babysitting. Aren't the residents of those houses adults? Nurses who work nights usually get an hourly premium, even though the patients are asleep for much of the shift.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluva4eva04 View Post
OK how about this?

$12/hr is what I am normally paid. $3/hr per kid over 2. So that would be $18/hr for 4 kids for waking hours. So, if I'm babysitting 48 hours that would be 28 waking hours and 20 sleeping hours. So, $18 x 28 waking hours = $504. And let's say I do half price for sleeping hours. That's $9 x 20 sleeping hours = $180.

So the total would be $684 for 48 hours with 4 kids. $342 per family. Averages out to $14.25 an hour for me and a little over $7/hr per family. Does that sound reasonable?
More than reasonable from the parents' side of it.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:59 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Good Grief! When my kids were young enough to still be napping, many was the day that I collapsed in a heap myself after I got them down. Surely you've read the advice in parenting books to "sleep when the baby sleeps"? I'm not advocating the sitter sleep, but I do think it OK for him/her to have a little break, read a book, do some homework, etc WHILE THE KIDS ARE SLEEPING during the day. When my oldest was a baby, my mother's group had a teacher from the babysitter prep program at the Y come talk to us. She sressed the students were taught to focus on the kids, not the housework.

I'm not sure what a halfway house has to do with babysitting. Aren't the residents of those houses adults? Nurses who work nights usually get an hourly premium, even though the patients are asleep for much of the shift.
I never had sitters until my kids could talk. And on,y rarely. When they napped, I cleaned up after them, got in a shower and ate some food. If my sitter got that done (well not the shower), I wouldn't mind if she kicked back some. But...still, it's only an hour and a half. Not 10 hours

That half way house is an example where sleeping doesn't get you paid as much as being awake. They were special needs adults...it's like adult babysitting

Nurses work over night, not sleep.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:00 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
My mum used to be a care worker, sleeping overnights (there as an extra person for emergencies) weren't as well paid as working overnights so lowering rates for night time makes sense.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:21 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Quote:
OK how about this?

$12/hr is what I am normally paid. $3/hr per kid over 2. So that would be $18/hr for 4 kids for waking hours. So, if I'm babysitting 48 hours that would be 28 waking hours and 20 sleeping hours. So, $18 x 28 waking hours = $504. And let's say I do half price for sleeping hours. That's $9 x 20 sleeping hours = $180.

So the total would be $684 for 48 hours with 4 kids. $342 per family. Averages out to $14.25 an hour for me and a little over $7/hr per family. Does that sound reasonable?
That sounds reasonable.

You realise that as a kindergarten teacher you're the top pick as a babysitter?

Old 11-21-2015, 07:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Your plan sounds fine. I was going to say $600 total, if the kids are relatively easy together. Definitely more than $400 total.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 AM

8 posts, read 8,464 times
I do realize this but also realize as a kindergarten teacher, I don't make that much money and could really use this job. I don't want to go in asking for outrageous amounts of money that no one in my area would pay and have them find someone else.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I do realize this but also realize as a kindergarten teacher, I don't make that much money and could really use this job. I don't want to go in asking for outrageous amounts of money that no one in my area would pay and have them find someone else.
Perhaps you should find out the going rate for this type of babysitting in your area. That would give you a starting point.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:15 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
I am so rethinking my career right now. I make roughly $20hr cleaning houses. I'm convinced I should be going the kid route. Curious to know if any of the proposed rates correlate with the recent thread about stay at home moms value. Pretty sure according to this thread that I'm way underemployed in terms of being a mother and wife.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting