Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Scratching my head. Why are the fruit, vegetable, grain, nut, dairy and egg dishes already prepared for the meal (or on a restaurant menu) not acceptable to him? No additional dishes are required. If vegetarians eat these, they get all their nutrients.

I just made a full traditional Thanksgiving menu and ate everything but the turkey.
The op's daughter only lets her son eat organic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The op's daughter only lets her son eat organic.
I wasn't responding to the OP.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I wasn't responding to the OP.
Well who one earth were you responding to? This thread is about the op

Old 11-26-2015, 10:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
We don't accommodate food fussiness in our house. Our rule is, Mom prepares ONE meal. The kids can either eat it, or make themselves a sandwich, or go hungry. Period. (And they don't get any dessert unless they eat Mom's meal.)

This is my opinion too. If you don't like it then don't eat it. I would not invite vegetarians to my house as that is not our lifestyle. They can keep their politics and hang ups in their own home, don't want them in mind. I make an exception for those who have medical reasons for avoiding certain foods, that is entirely a different matter. I am so tired of hippies and all their nonsense creeping into every part of our lives

Old 11-26-2015, 11:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Personally, I'm sick of the food police and I have several of them with increasingly bizarre restrictions in my family. I solved my problem by sending out the following via E-mail:

"People have traditionally come to my house to eat because they think I'm a good cook and they don't seem to want to host a family meal. If you don't like/approve of my food, but still want to come to family gatherings, then feel free to bring your own food and I will provide plates and utensils. But I'm not changing my menus or cooking style to accommodate dietary restrictions that change every time I see you. Also, no food lectures at my table and if you are going to sit there and pout because I didn't serve a gluten-free birthday cake, Buddhist-approved brown rice, or tofurkey "bacon," then feel free to come for a glass of water after dinner is over."

Sounds like your daughter would be OK to eat at my house as long as she doesn't burst out with a lecture on how her snowflake is going to die because he looked at some GMO salmon or tell us why she is not having him vaccinated. Feel free to share my edict with great-grandma so she doesn't feel all alone.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
... I am so tired of hippies and all their nonsense creeping into every part of our lives
Many of the people I know with weird dietary ideas are conservatives with a lot of money, not hippies, although I'm sure they are some. When I drive past the Whole Foods in my neighborhood the parking lot is packed with cars bearing Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi logos, not usually vehicles driven by hippies. Just the other day a rich Republican told me her husband got prostate cancer because he ate sugar.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:26 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I have to wonder why the OP is more concerned about the 2 yr old's healthy food than she is about all the junk the other kids are eating. Maybe when they get cavities in their baby teeth she'll change her outlook.

I'm only concerned about the 2-year-old because he is my grandson. The junk food eating cousins are not related to me (my daughter's husbands relatives), and what their mother lets them eat is their mother's business, as are their teeth.

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner. Nana didn't say anything about the organic squash, quinoa and coleslaw my daughter brought for my grandson, and she even let him sample some of the other foods (stuffing, potato filling, cranberry relish) because he's older now, and it was a special occasion. He was a little fussy, though, and wouldn't eat much except a little squash, cranberry relish, lots of coleslaw, and romanesco (sp?), which is a cross between cauliflower and broccoli. He really liked that (but it wasn't organic). Needless, to say, he had the "toots" later on in the evening from all the cruciferous stuff he ate. We all had a great time, and his Nana (great-grandma) was really happy he was there. He's her only great-grandchild. She even compromised and made her specialty stuffing with vegetable broth, to accommodate my vegetarian daughter who ate everything but the turkey (she's a vegetarian, not a vegan, so she eats foods with eggs, milk, butter, etc.) It's nice to see compromise on both sides. Nana is puzzled at vegetarian/organic people's eating, given my daughter is the only one in the family, but she respects the fact that my grandson is so healthy and growing like a weed, so she acknowledges my "health nut" daughter must be doing something right.

Hope everyone had a terrific Thanksgiving!!!!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-27-2015 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
I'm glad it worked out well for the greater good

Old 11-27-2015, 08:02 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
This is my opinion too. If you don't like it then don't eat it. I would not invite vegetarians to my house as that is not our lifestyle. They can keep their politics and hang ups in their own home, don't want them in mind. I make an exception for those who have medical reasons for avoiding certain foods, that is entirely a different matter. I am so tired of hippies and all their nonsense creeping into every part of our lives
What difference does it make to you what someone else eats?? We hosted a holiday one year, and a somewhat distant relative came. She was a vegetarian, but didn't expect any special foods be made for her. I did make a couple things with her in mind, but it was no extra trouble. I used water instead of broth in one dish, for example. She also brought some of her own food. I would never have dreamed of excluding her because of what she eats. How would that conversation even go? "Oh, you don't eat meat, sorry, you're not welcome! Have a nice holiday by yourself!"

Old 11-27-2015, 09:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:

We have quite a few vegetarians in my immediate and extended family and holiday meals have never been a problem. They just eat the vegetables, bread, dessert, fruit and various side dishes and end up being pretty full & happy.

Unless you put bacon on every vegetable, turkey in all of your fruit dishes, fish in your dinner rolls, and ham in every pie & cake that you make there is always plenty for a vegetarian to eat at a typical meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting