Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM

586 posts, read 830,562 times

Advertisements

My son just turned 3 last month, so he wouldnt qualify for pre-k until next year. I have looked into schools for him though, and most of the schools said he would be with them for 2 years up until kindergarten. His little brother would be a school year behind him. I was pondering on whether I should keep him home and home school him (teach him to read, write, count, abcs etc) until they both can go to pre school together (although he would only be able to take advantage of the second year) or if I should just enroll him the upcoming spring.

I want to buy some learning materials, and have did so in the past but he wasnt interested in learning anything and just played with the flashcards and scattered them everywhere. I also feel that he is very energetic. I do discipline him but sometimes he acts up that I cant get anything done with him. Strangely, he is well-behaved in public and I have had people come up and say how quiet he is (for example, if we are standing in a long check out line at a store, he would quietly stand beside me).

His ped doesnt think he has a problem, not autistic and she doesnt suspect ADHD either since he does have his calm moments she just thinks he's acting his age and has bursts of energy.

Given his energy, would he benefit from going to a pre-school or would it be ok for me to home school him? I know the main purpose of going to a pre school is to take advantage of the social setting. Enrollment period will be opening up soon and I just cant decide. Would like insights on both groups of parents and how it worked out for you, or those that just skipped the learning altogether and waited for kindergarten. No one in my family was sent to pre-school, we just went straight to kindergarten without any background (didnt know the abcs, numbers or anything) but we ended up fine. I am assuming preschoolers would have a better start though?

Thanks for any feed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Preschoolers get a better start, and kindergarten has changed a lot since we were kids. I guess I don't understand your hesitation. I wouldn't keep him home just so he can go with his brother. They are 2 different people and 2 different ages.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:30 PM

483 posts, read 654,760 times
You could always do a half day program. I would suggest mornings, and pick him up at noon. He will get all the social stuff + get to take advantage of special programs the school may have in place(I know at the school I worked at we had music, computer and special guests weekly)

He needs to get used to being without his brother. At a year apart they won't be in the same class once they hit school age anyway and some preschools will divide them by age as well.

Kindergarten is very different now. I was working with kids who the district expected would come to come to school with basic writing, reading and math skills. Most of our kiddos were "writing" on their own(sounding out the words, the spelling wasn't correct) by the time they left for summer.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:35 PM

912 posts, read 914,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Preschoolers get a better start, and kindergarten has changed a lot since we were kids. I guess I don't understand your hesitation. I wouldn't keep him home just so he can go with his brother. They are 2 different people and 2 different ages.
I was about to type the same thing. Unless there's a real strong reason either way, I'd say get him acclimated. Could you send him part-time? Mine isn't 3yo yet by a long shot, but he started 2 half-days and now goes 3 half-days and has learned a *ton* (on top of what I teach him at home and what he learns at speech therapy, through Infants & Toddlers, etc)!

I hadn't planned to send him so young (he's still 1yo), but his speech therapist recommended it. Unless there's a strong clear reason not to send him (or to send him), why not opt for part-time and get the best of both worlds, school for him and more time with him before he goes full-time for you?

The sibling should have zero impact on what is right for this child.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
You could always do a half day program. I would suggest mornings, and pick him up at noon. He will get all the social stuff + get to take advantage of special programs the school may have in place(I know at the school I worked at we had music, computer and special guests weekly)

He needs to get used to being without his brother. At a year apart they won't be in the same class once they hit school age anyway and some preschools will divide them by age as well.

Kindergarten is very different now. I was working with kids who the district expected would come to come to school with basic writing, reading and math skills. Most of our kiddos were "writing" on their own(sounding out the words, the spelling wasn't correct) by the time they left for summer.
lol Great minds. We had the same suggestion.

Agreed. Kindergarten is very different now. They are writing, reading, know basics like ABCs, counting, can draw a circle, etc in pre-K. We have a very well-respected pre-PreK and children are leaving pre-K with these skills and are expected to have them for kindergarten. I am told by teachers themselves that not having these skills takes the kindergarten teacher away from what she should be teaching the class to help the students that are struggling with the more basic skills they didn't come prepared with.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:43 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Have you looked into "Mothers Day Out" programs? Very often run by churches and just a couple of half days a week.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Have you looked into "Mothers Day Out" programs? Very often run by churches and just a couple of half days a week.
It is my understanding that they aren't preparing them for school but are just watching the kids and doing more controlled free-play, often volunteer or parent co-op based vs a degreed teacher, or am I wrong?

Old 12-08-2015, 08:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
It is my understanding that they aren't preparing them for school but are just watching the kids and doing more controlled free-play, often volunteer or parent co-op based vs a degreed teacher, or am I wrong?
Depends entirely on the school. Preschool teachers don't need degrees, but they often have them, IME. They do teach them a lot. It isn't just a few hours of babysitting. Few in my area are co-ops that require parent participation. The ones I'm familiar with are 2 half days/week for 3 year olds and 3 half days/week for 4 year olds. There are other options, but that's pretty standard.

Most families I know did 2 years of preschool. Some did more. Some did only 1 year. This child will be almost 4 by the time he would start. He ought to be ready by then.

ETA - I just realized you were talking about a MDO program. The MDO programs I know about are one day/week, mostly for kids that are too young for preschool (1-2 year olds. This child should be old enough for preschool a few days/week IMO.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:11 PM

He'll be going M-Thurs for a half day, done by 1230. I didnt know kindergarten has became so different. During my time, it was mostly play based and we began learning the abcs, writing our names, and some numbers. It was more relaxed.

How does everyone feel about the new system? I heard there's hw too and math? I dont know much so I cant judge, but I'm assuming kids in this generation may be smarter since they will be more advanced, but does it take away from them enjoying their childhood? We didnt have basic hw until 1st grade, so just a thought.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:16 PM

The brother is probably an excuse to keep him home longer since I want to keep him with me a little longer. He'll have to grow up at some point, and since a lot of responses have said that the education system has became more advanced, I'm less hesitant to send him. I thought it was like back in the day where it was optional and kids came in to play and get used to the social setting and didnt really impact them academically when entering kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting