Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:32 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times

Advertisements

This post is probably...

Anyway, maybe OP is concerned about the boy's health? Or weight? Or sedentary lifestyle?

My kids are very bright, and we have no expectations for them play competitive sports, but we do enroll them in a physical activity every season. They get to pick it from a list we give them. We change it up to try to find something they really enjoy.

To me, it's not about being a jock, or bragging rights, it's about installing a lifelong love of physical fitness. Teaching them to value their brains and their bodies. Running, tennis, golf, swimming--these are lifetime activities. Sports can be a great outlet for high-achieving, bright kids.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Honestly, let your kid be who he is meant to be.
He sounds like more of a book-worm type...with the robotics and gaming.
And that's perfectly fine! Not everyone has to play sports.

I work at a school and see all different kinds of students and the important thing is your son is keeping the straight As. What more could you ask for? His happiness and his grades are the most important thing and if athletics is not part of his happiness or grades....then let it go.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:56 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
Forcing a child to participate in something they don't enjoy or want to do will only cause resentment. It sounds as though he's got enough on his plate to keep him busy and challenged. If it's exercise that you're concerned about, make sure he gets out on his bicycle, goes for a walk, plays outside with his siblings etc. rather than sitting around all day.

I wouldn't force the issue. Let him choose his extra curricular activities.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:09 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The time to expose him to sports has come and gone. The way it worked in our house is we encouraged (required) our kids to do at least one season of every available sport..baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, etc. starting in kindergarten. They were not allowed to quit mid season. Most of the kids took to one or two sports, and kept at them through high school. The only one who didn't was my daughter, who was the most studious child. We respected her decision, because she kept up her grades and stayed out of trouble.
The basic function of sports in school, IMO, is to keep kids busy and out of trouble, and to learn teamwork. If OPs son is staying out of trouble and doing his school work, he should be able to opt out of sports. Work on your 7 and 9 year olds.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:34 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
Make sure to keep stressing that he's not a real man unless he plays sports. Also make sure to deride his educational accomplishments and his work with the robotics team. Use the word "sissy" a lot. Tell him gamers and programmers don't get girls. Everyone knows only team athletics are appropriate for teenage boys. Lots of guilt and shame. That should do the trick.

Or leave him alone and he'll probably grow up to be a software developer who makes a good salary....but since you seem to have some kind of weird hangup about him not playing sports, the above advice should work wonders.
+1. I couldn't have said it better. But I will add a salient point. Nerds rule the world!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote from my son "I am a gamer, not a jock. I am good with that." That said, he does do fitness activities like martial arts and weight lifting with his Dad. And he runs, runs track in the spring. Team sports just are not for some people.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 AM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
By this age, it's over. Let it go for your kid's sake and yours. Not worth the energy.

However, if the husband is adamant, then how about he and your son pick up golf. Go to the range, hit some balls, bond, etc. It's a useful sport later on in life in terms of business. A lot of deals happen on the course.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:29 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The time to expose him to sports has come and gone. The way it worked in our house is we encouraged (required) our kids to do at least one season of every available sport..baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, etc. starting in kindergarten. They were not allowed to quit mid season. Most of the kids took to one or two sports, and kept at them through high school. The only one who didn't was my daughter, who was the most studious child. We respected her decision, because she kept up her grades and stayed out of trouble.
The basic function of sports in school, IMO, is to keep kids busy and out of trouble, and to learn teamwork. If OPs son is staying out of trouble and doing his school work, he should be able to opt out of sports. Work on your 7 and 9 year olds.
Excellent advice!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Smart kid.

Hope for the future....one child at a time.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
I never liked team sports as a child either and hated being forced to play sports during PE

I dont mind jogging, working out, but dont like being on teams or group sports, I always preferred being left alone to do my own thing.

leave him alone and let him decide, you dont need to play on a team to get in shape

cant stand watching football, basketball, baseball, I always turn the channel to something more pleasant like the history channel , food channel, old movies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting