U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 PM

1,368 posts, read 5,878,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We had a friend who was a very good parent. She was in a grocery store in Ca and her kid kept pulling things off the shelf and breaking them on the floor. She told him if he did it again he would get a spanking. He did and he did. (Not a harmful spanking, but a few swats). A lady in the store followed them home and called CPS.

CPS showed up with warrants and took the kids away with no explanation. They then searched the house, inventoried all the food and made a huge mess. they interrogated the parents as if they were criminals and discovered that they were just good parents. They finally returned the kids at 11 p.m. (on a school night). No apology, nothing more was ever said about it.

People keep trying to push their values on others, especially where they do not know anything about the situation at all. Yes call CPS if the kid is bleeding or mommie is kicking their knees (I did - they did not come). But a swat on the bottom? The lady that followed them home should have gone to jail as far as I am concerned and CPS should have civil liability for acting without investigating. They should also get a dose of common sense from somewhere.
My friend's mom used to beat him and his sister. He was finally able to move to his father's, yet his sister lived in near constant abuse. CPS did nothing. Continually did nothing.

I have another friend who lives in NZ and works for child services there, mostly with foster families, etc. Children who have suffered through physical and emotional abuse are extremely fragile, and we should all beware the affects of such.

I was never hit as a child, but there were times where I felt pain because I was lifted while in a fit from a public place and taken back to the car, etc.

The difference between corporal punishment and abuse is a line that I believe is different for every action, child and parent combination. And as such, I will hesitate to use such force against my children (when/if I have them).

That being said, if the force is necessary and prudent, then I see no problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 03:24 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,059,763 times
I'd have no problem correcting my child in public. However, just because we are in public doesn't mean the correction has to be public. I'd calmly take the child somewhere so as not to embarass them and let them know in no uncertain terms what I expect of them.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM

11,456 posts, read 8,133,032 times
I was a bit confused by the thread title. Coporeal relates to the physical body--to threaten that, you would have to turn them into a ghost or spirit...to make them non-coporeal.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:36 PM

560 posts, read 1,966,830 times
I swatted my 5 year old on the bottom during a basketball game the other night. This was after asking her numerous times to stop running up and down the bleachers and to stop screaming. I told her to come and sit by me or in front of me and she refused. I have to say, I really got the impression from the parents around me that they were glad that I finally put my foot down and swatted her. She sat next to me the rest of the game.

It has always driven me crazy that as a parent I am held accountable for my childs actions, yet society wants to condemn you as a parent when you try to discipline your child. I have always believed in spanking my children, always as a last resort, never as the first. I have slapped my 13 year old across the mouth for back talk and I will continue to do so. I also put soap in my childrens' mouths if I feel the situation warrants it. I love my children more than life itself, this is why I will continue to discipline them and not raise spoiled self-centerd little brats.

Each child is different, my middle child has rarely been spanked, she responds quickly to a raised voice. My oldest needed to be swatted more often and my youngest rarely requires the discipline to raise to that level. It is knowing who your child is and the type of discipline they require that allows you to become an effective parent. I am not afraid to discipline my child in public and they know it. When they act up in public they are embarassing me so what do I care if I embarass them back by disciplining them in public?? I always tell them, you don't embarass me and I won't embarass you.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBadget View Post
In this day and age, most parents are afraid to hit their kids in public because the parents could get in trouble for child abuse. There are, however, quite a few parents who are not afraid to use corporeal punishment in public. Last night, I was shopping at Foodland, and as I was standing in line to pay for my groceries, I noticed a boy touching the cash register after his father told him not to. The father slapped the boy's hand to make him understand that he is not to touch the cash register. That is what my father would do anytime I did wrong in public. IMHO corporeal punishment is much more effective than just talking when it comes to teaching right from wrong.
I have taken off my belt and handed out a whuppin in public. It doesn't matter to me where I am- if a whuppin was needed, it was given.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,798,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have taken off my belt and handed out a whuppin in public. It doesn't matter to me where I am- if a whuppin was needed, it was given.
Wow -

Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,651,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This must have been a long time ago?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,696,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I was a bit confused by the thread title. Coporeal relates to the physical body--to threaten that, you would have to turn them into a ghost or spirit...to make them non-coporeal.
I thought about pointing that out, as it is a very interesting misuse of the word. Didn't say it though, not here to pick apart spelling because if I were...I'd be here 24/7.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
This must have been a long time ago?
A long time? Depends. My kids are all older now. 3 of them are adults. My youngest is 16. I would look pretty silly whuppin them now!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 PM

170 posts, read 525,449 times
I think corporal punishment serves its purpose at a certain time and certain place. Nothing wrong with a good ole fashion a** whipping once in awhile. *I* would not use corporal punishment in public. I just read some more posts. I mean spankings......ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting