Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 AM

50 posts, read 190,563 times

Advertisements

In this day and age, most parents are afraid to hit their kids in public because the parents could get in trouble for child abuse. There are, however, quite a few parents who are not afraid to use corporeal punishment in public. Last night, I was shopping at Foodland, and as I was standing in line to pay for my groceries, I noticed a boy touching the cash register after his father told him not to. The father slapped the boy's hand to make him understand that he is not to touch the cash register. That is what my father would do anytime I did wrong in public. IMHO corporeal punishment is much more effective than just talking when it comes to teaching right from wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
"I beat you because I love you." That's what my parents used to say to me. I bet it's funnier when the husband says that in court. "I couldn't make her underwstand with WORDS your honor! She needed an ass whoopin'!'Or verbatim "IMHO, your honor, corporeal punishment is much more effective than just talking when it comes to teaching right from wrong." The judge - nodding approval - would then ask you to soundly thrash her in court. "NO! NO! Hit her HARDER! She's NOT LEARNING!"

Old 02-04-2008, 04:30 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBadget View Post
IMHO corporeal punishment is much more effective than just talking when it comes to teaching right from wrong.
I disagree, and will leave it at that.

As for hitting kids in publilc, I have seen it and the worst part I think is not even the hitting, but the humiliated look on the child's face - that has to sting worse than the actual slap.

No, it's not for me.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
"I beat you because I love you." That's what my parents used to say to me. I bet it's funnier when the husband says that in court. "I couldn't make her underwstand with WORDS your honor! She needed an ass whoopin'!'Or verbatim "IMHO, your honor, corporeal punishment is much more effective than just talking when it comes to teaching right from wrong." The judge - nodding approval - would then ask you to soundly thrash her in court. "NO! NO! Hit her HARDER! She's NOT LEARNING!"

Wha????

Put down the crack pipe, and step away slooooowly.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Corporal punishment...depends on the child. For one of my children, the mere threat of a swat on the behind was enough to make her behave. For the other one, even the swat wouldn't work and I found other ways to get him to comply.

I'm not against that little smack on the hand or behind, if it's used properly. If my child were reaching for something dangerous, yes they'd get that hand-smack.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Corporal punishment...depends on the child. For one of my children, the mere threat of a swat on the behind was enough to make her behave. For the other one, even the swat wouldn't work and I found other ways to get him to comply.

I'm not against that little smack on the hand or behind, if it's used properly. If my child were reaching for something dangerous, yes they'd get that hand-smack.
Agree. That swat on the hand hurts a LOT LESS than their fingers/hand getting caught up in something that could really hurt them. Or the swat on the behind is MUCH LESS painfull than how their head will feel if they fall out of the cart and onto the floor.

I like the parents that just stand there and say, "no-no" over and over while the kid totally ignores them. Then the kid gets hurt and mom is all upset the store did nothing to protect them. Or the parents that diss "corporal punishment" but scream instead..........

As for the OP, a toddler is NOT going to usually understand "no" at first when they see something that may look like a toy they have at home. They can not always make a distinction between the two. The father told him no, he continued to do it and the father swatted his hand. Bet the boy did not do it again. He also kept his fingers attached to his hand along w/ not pushing any buttons that may have messed up the cash register.

I've swatted my kids hands and behinds in public. Let some busy body call the police to report "child abuse". I've yet to see a parent get arrested or fined for such. In MOST cases the police will side w/ the parent that did the swatting.

BTW, this thread is almost along the same lines as one other recently about "employees correcting kids".

Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
BTW, this thread is almost along the same lines as one other recently about "employees correcting kids".
I noticed that, too. I also noticed that the OP didn't give the age of the child and other details that would be necessary for me to respond appropriately.

Public awareness of such issues has been raised. Perhaps too high, jmo.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We had a friend who was a very good parent. She was in a grocery store in Ca and her kid kept pulling things off the shelf and breaking them on the floor. She told him if he did it again he would get a spanking. He did and he did. (Not a harmful spanking, but a few swats). A lady in the store followed them home and called CPS.

CPS showed up with warrants and took the kids away with no explanation. They then searched the house, inventoried all the food and made a huge mess. they interrogated the parents as if they were criminals and discovered that they were just good parents. They finally returned the kids at 11 p.m. (on a school night). No apology, nothing more was ever said about it.

People keep trying to push their values on others, especially where they do not know anything about the situation at all. Yes call CPS if the kid is bleeding or mommie is kicking their knees (I did - they did not come). But a swat on the bottom? The lady that followed them home should have gone to jail as far as I am concerned and CPS should have civil liability for acting without investigating. They should also get a dose of common sense from somewhere.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I noticed that, too. I also noticed that the OP didn't give the age of the child and other details that would be necessary for me to respond appropriately.

Public awareness of such issues has been raised. Perhaps too high, jmo.
Re the age. If it is a toddler a lite swat on the hand or behind usually gets their attention if "no" did not work. If it is a teenager (say 1-14), might have to call in backup w/ those attitudes The way I've heard some kids in that age group talk and treat their parents I surprised the parenst did not backhand them. That is what can happen WHEN a child has been lead to believe they can get away with everything, they have no respect for their parents.

I think too many people are too concerned over things that they should not be. If a parent has found that the only way to get their childs attention to correct bad behavior is with a swat at least they are doing SOMETHING to be a parent and not letting the child become a little monster that soon becomes a big monster. There are little kids being killed everyday by parents, step parents, etc that are literally BEATEN. A loving parent correcting a child w/ a swat on the hand or behind is TOTALLY different.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We had a friend who was a very good parent. She was in a grocery store in Ca and her kid kept pulling things off the shelf and breaking them on the floor. She told him if he did it again he would get a spanking. He did and he did. (Not a harmful spanking, but a few swats). A lady in the store followed them home and called CPS.

CPS showed up with warrants and took the kids away with no explanation. They then searched the house, inventoried all the food and made a huge mess. they interrogated the parents as if they were criminals and discovered that they were just good parents. They finally returned the kids at 11 p.m. (on a school night). No apology, nothing more was ever said about it.

People keep trying to push their values on others, especially where they do not know anything about the situation at all. Yes call CPS if the kid is bleeding or mommie is kicking their knees (I did - they did not come). But a swat on the bottom? The lady that followed them home should have gone to jail as far as I am concerned and CPS should have civil liability for acting without investigating. They should also get a dose of common sense from somewhere.

I would have found out who the lady was that caused that and sued them or filed some kind of charges. They totally disrupted a household, put the KIDS in turmoil. Can you imagine a small child is going to feel if they are suddenly whisked away for no reason from their home and out of their parents clutches, spent hours in some uknown place w/ total strangers. I feel soooooo sorry for those kids. That woman should be whipped in public for doing that to those kids and their parents. What if the parents lost a job over something like that too. I'd be LIVID!!!!! Ruined their reputation, kept from from volunteering at their childs school. I'd sue that woman and I would not call her a "lady" as that is NO LADY! A lady has class and true lady would have not liked for a child to behaving as such in a store.

My youngest is a handful. She is VERY ACTIVE!!!! When she was about 3 I had been up w/ her all night w/ her not being able to breath. Her doctor had already seen her several times for the same thing but did not want to check for asthma or allergies. I took her in that day and the ONLY thing the doctor was concerned about was a VERY SMALL bruise on her arm that was about the size of the tip of your finger. He looked at me, "WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!?!?!" in a very harsh tone. I was like, "I dunno know" (I'm a mom that is going on zilch sleep dealing w/ a very sick baby). He looked at her and asked her in the same threatening way. She did not know either. The kid has bruises all up and down her legs as she is just ACTIVE!!! This is the kid that will go up a few steps and as your walking by w/ an armful of stuff turn and as she leaps say, "CATCH". Meanwhile your diving to catch her (another heart attack for mom). So the doc then asks if she goes to preschool. Yes, she does. He wants to know if she got it there. WE DO NOT KNOW!!!!!!!! He did not get this nor did he end up doing ANYTHING about the fact the child was having a hard time breathing. He turned in the preschool to the state and us to CPS. They investigated the school and interogated the teacher. I let them know ahead of time what was going on and aplogized profusely. I felt HORRIBLE for her teacher. CPS called us but I NEVER made an appointment with them. I refused flat out. Who knows where it could have come from???? She could have been dashing out from me in a busy parking lot and I could have grabbed for her to keep her from getting hurt or hit by a car. I'd done that many times for sure w/ her. Sorry but I'll put a death grip on my child to keep them from getting hit by a car or someone snatch them. It could leave a bruise, WHO KNOWS!!!! The school got cleared and CPS never bothered to call again even after sending us this whole packet of stuff they wanted (THEY DO NOT NEED MY FINANCIAL INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!). In the meantime my child ended up IN THE HOSPITAL with an asthma attack. You better believe we switched doctors, I turned him in and got my entire file from his office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting