Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,779,122 times

Advertisements

I LOVE THIS!!! I received this the other day and we got a good chuckle out of it and SOOOOO believe it.

"A Different Kind of Drug Problem"

original author unknown

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a met amphetamine lab had been found in an old farm house in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ”Why didn’t we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?”

I replied: ”But I did have a drug problem when I wuz a kid growing up on the farm.” I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for
weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher. Or if I didn’t put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me. I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four letter word. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom’s garden and flower beds and cockleburs
out of dad’s fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline or chop some fire wood. And if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the wood shed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin, and if today’s children had this kind of drug problem, America might be a better place today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 06:46 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,226,181 times
I love what you wrote. hahahaha How true it was to get 'drug' around.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,919,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
I disagree, and will leave it at that.

As for hitting kids in publilc, I have seen it and the worst part I think is not even the hitting, but the humiliated look on the child's face - that has to sting worse than the actual slap.

No, it's not for me.
Humiliation is a really effective way of encouraging people not to do something again. Our society would do well with more low level humiliation.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:11 AM

7,997 posts, read 10,378,641 times
Would you be OK if you saw someone hit their spouse in a store? Why is it OK to hit kids but not OK to hit anyone else?

There is not one, single study that shows corporal punishment has any benefit. Not one. There are plenty that say it does more harm than good.

https://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/r...by-researchers

http://www.apa.org/pi/prevent-violen...-behavior.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/

Old 10-02-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiam View Post
What about a 21 year old male who was caught by his mother in an eating establishment in his bare feet during noon hour lunch time. This happened to me just over two weeks ago. The bottoms of my feet were black from walking around on pavement outside and I had been in a few retail stores before lunch for about a couple of hours. While eating my lunch I decided to naughtily put my feet up on the seat in front of me while I ate lunch at my table. I noticed several other patrons saw my dirty feet on the seat and reacted with disgust while I snickered. Unfortunately for me, my Mom walked in a few minutes later and caught me red handed. She came right up to my table and in a loud voice ordered me to get my feet down. I swallowed hard and immediately brought my dirty bare feet down to the floor. She proceeded to lecture me in front of everyone about being in bare feet in an eating establishment and putting my dirty feet up on seats and a older lady piped up and said, "And he was laughing about it too" and my already red face turned even redder and I gulped uncontrollably while Mom's stare went right through me. She told me to get up off my chair right now and after I did, she slapped my backside right in front of everyone. I had thin gym shorts on and you could hear the noise of a bare hand spanking a bottom. I froze in utter humiliation and Mom proceeded to march me out of the facility by the ear and slapped by bottom hard all the way out while I hollered ow and this continued all the way down the hall way of the small mall where the eating facility was located. Other shoppers and store workers saw it all and when we reached her car in the parking lot, she took me into the back seat, put me over her knee and spanked my bare bottom fully with her hand. Then I got another long and hard one on the my bare bum cheeks at home with a wooden backed hair brush. I cried hard and kicked my black bottomed bare feet in the air like a 6 year old.
If corporal punishment works so well, you wouldn't be an adult behaving this way. You would have learned better behavior as a child.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 AM

6,282 posts, read 4,166,669 times
I raised two children and never spanked them. They misbehaved there were immediate consequences, like the time they wouldn't keep their seat belts buckled, I didn't say a word just got off the freeway and parked and said we are not moving until you buckle up. The second time they did it I parked till they buckled up and then drove home and the ice cream trip was done. I suppose I could have smacked them into compliance which is easier, but I just didn't feel hitting was going to have long term benefits for us as a family.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:20 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I raised two children and never spanked them. They misbehaved there were immediate consequences, like the time they wouldn't keep their seat belts buckled, I didn't say a word just got off the freeway and parked and said we are not moving until you buckle up. The second time they did it I parked till they buckled up and then drove home and the ice cream trip was done. I suppose I could have smacked them into compliance which is easier, but I just didn't feel hitting was going to have long term benefits for us as a family.
That works great, until you are gong to visit Grandma and they do not really want to go so they are happy to just sit ont he side of the freeway and laugh at you or go home - which is what they wanted to begin with.

I read some of the books on never spanking kids. Tried some of their stuff. Found it to not work at all. Watched some friend raise their kids according to those books and saw their kids turn out to be disrespectful, lazy disobedient, and narcissistic even by today standards. I also found out many of the authors have kids who are now in jail, or in rehab, or living in their parents basement at 30 and not really doing anything at all. Not for me. It does not work. Beating your kids - that is a crime. Swatting them at a certain age when that is the only thing that will get them to cease a certain behavior, absolutely necessary. When they are older, you can reason with them, but for a time - no.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That works great, until you are gong to visit Grandma and they do not really want to go so they are happy to just sit ont he side of the freeway and laugh at you or go home - which is what they wanted to begin with.

I read some of the books on never spanking kids. Tried some of their stuff. Found it to not work at all. Watched some friend raise their kids according to those books and saw their kids turn out to be disrespectful, lazy disobedient, and narcissistic even by today standards. I also found out many of the authors have kids who are now in jail, or in rehab, or living in their parents basement at 30 and not really doing anything at all. Not for me. It does not work. Beating your kids - that is a crime. Swatting them at a certain age when that is the only thing that will get them to cease a certain behavior, absolutely necessary. When they are older, you can reason with them, but for a time - no.
Never hit my kids. They are both honor students. My youngest just won a citizenship award at school. My brother and I were never hit either. I have 2 college degrees and have been pretty successful. My brother is an attorney and doing well and very happy. There are anecdotal stories for everything. Doesn't change the fact that every single, long-term study has shown that corporal punishment does more harm than good.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 PM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times
I've never hit my kids either. I really tried to convey my philosophy that I AM ON YOUR TEAM. That doesn't mean I'll take your side against a teacher if you're wrong, but I AM ON YOUR TEAM means I'll teach you better how to follow the rules in the school so you can succeed.

I don't see how you can convey that philosophy to a child if they have to fear you'll get frustrated with them and pound on them a little and bruise them up.

They're adults now, and I can't tell you how many people have said "your kids are so kind. So nice and caring".

Yes, they are.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 AM

835 posts, read 524,673 times
Forget the kids, the real questions is, what to do with those who harm them?

I vowed several years ago to do unto parents what I see them do to their kids. Usually that just means scolding them but I have throttled fathers who violently shook their kids in front of me. I've called the police on mothers who I saw slap their young kids in the face. I don't know if that accomplishes anything but I'd like to think that too many visits from the police would affect their ability to retain custody. I pray that other total strangers would do the same if they ever saw my kids being struck.

There are no young kids who deserve to be hurt, only adults who don't know how to communicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting