Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 AM

16,542 posts, read 10,595,320 times

Advertisements

Seems way too excessive for me, and it seems like a good way to create spoiled children. But I don't know her or her family, so I have no way of knowing what the kids are really like, and if this will spoil them (or spoil them more) or not. I did notice that the article said that she accrued no debt, so apparently she's able to do this and still live within her means.

So, I'll just say "merry Christmas" and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,455,093 times
Hey money, her family. She can do whatever she wants.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 AM

16,065 posts, read 21,110,681 times
I don't think it's so much the money as the sheer numbers. One hundred presents each means each kid faces nearly two solid hours of unwrapping gifts, that's nuts. It definitely gives me the impression that this is way more about mom than it is about the kids.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,876,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't think it's so much the money as the sheer numbers.
I agree. I commented on this in the other thread too.

Everyone can spend their money as they see fit, but 300 gifts is just nutty. Even if there are boring, regular products in there, what could they be?

3 kids? Each kid would get:

20 pieces of clothes
20 toys
20 books
20 games
20 um... school supplies? decor or furnishings for their room? food? toiletries? what?

Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,873,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't think it's so much the money as the sheer numbers. One hundred presents each means each kid faces nearly two solid hours of unwrapping gifts, that's nuts. It definitely gives me the impression that this is way more about mom than it is about the kids.
I agree. It looks like it's more about the mom then the kids.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:51 AM

4,021 posts, read 2,709,273 times
At first glance, I'd say 'excessive', but I'd also be inclined to say, "Not my business."

Given that it's said she does 'extreme coupining', maybe it's a family that fell on hard times a while back and there were a few lean Christmases (where the gifts were essentials, rather than wants), and now maybe things are better and this is to make up for those years? Who knows?

Not my money, not my kids.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:21 AM

714 posts, read 746,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I already posted this on another thread. $2000/3=$667 per child

That is not a huge amount of money. Buy your kids a cell phone, tablet or laptop and you're close to half of her cost. I wouldn't buy my kids that many gifts, but it doesn't bother me that she did. I don't know what is in the presents. Different people spend money differently and as long as her and the kids aren't a drain on society and are not negatively affecting others, then I'm content to let those presents be their business with no concern to me.

I never could have dreamed of getting any of those as a gift, period.

Not saying anything against the lady in the story, but my family wasn't poor and $667 would have covered me for Xmas+birthday for 3 years at least. Most expensive gift I ever got was a Super Nintendo and that was shared with my sister.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:21 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,843,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
she does 'extreme coupining'
So each of her kids got 47 purple Gatorades, 13 gallons of Valutime Fabric Softener, 78 slices of American Cheese-style food product, 162 expired Snickers Bars?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:26 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
I never could have dreamed of getting any of those as a gift, period.

Not saying anything against the lady in the story, but my family wasn't poor and $667 would have covered me for Xmas+birthday for 3 years at least. Most expensive gift I ever got was a Super Nintendo and that was shared with my sister.
Different times I'm guessing. You need at minimum a home computer if you have school aged kids, if your kids are old enough to need a laptop and/or a phone, giving it to them at Christmas is the smart idea. The laptop is a gift, instead of a $600 purchase in March for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting