U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:44 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,062,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I paid for the premium one. It has naughty, nice and in between

How did your kids take being on the naughty list or Inbetween? My kids would be devastated and I think that the holiday would be ruined for them. I think if they were naughty enough to warrant a naughty list placement, I'd just not do much with Santa at all. It seems ...mean.
I cannot imagine PAYING to have some automated device tell my child whether they will be receiving gifts that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 AM

2,084 posts, read 793,432 times
This is abuse of a child causing deep shame the youngster will internalize for life. It affects self-esteem to such a degree that the child does not mature mentally past the time the shame first took place.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Are you kidding me? The kids who do daycare and preschool are the more well rounded kids as they learn how to interact with people sooner and have a better understanding of it. My daughter has been in school since 10 weeks old and she was just accepted to the GT program at her school. In Kinder, she tested out of 2nd grade. We did not advance her, but I think she should have gone to at least 1st grade, but my husband was against it. She's been twiddling her thumbs ever since.

My "problem" son has been reading since he barely turned 4 years old. He did it on his own. I didn't push it. Kids who are exposed to learning early tend to like learning and enjoy the knowledge. Kids who don't go to school until Kinder or 1st are way behind the other kids and play catch up for years. Believe me, I was one of the parents who the teacher would call to come into the classroom and help the other kids catch up and while there I would then watch my daughter roll her eyes from across the room as I worked with these other kids. And the constant, "Can you believe So and So doesn't know this and that."

Total disservice to your kids to not expose them to learning. There's a big difference between letting them being a kid with playing, and not teaching them that it's fun to learn.
What kind of school are you talking about here though? Kids who are in a high quality play-based environment do better than kids who are in academic centres from an early age or are at home (unless they have good parents who expose them to learning through play). But kids absolutely need to play before 6 or 7 years old, that's how they learn, naturally, not 'sit down and learn'. 2-7 is called the 'play age' in Finnish, not toddlers and preschoolers, just play-age because that's what they're supposed to do.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nah. LOL I troll my kids from time to time.
Me too, we must be raising good troll kids

Old 12-17-2015, 06:58 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I cannot imagine PAYING to have some automated device tell my child whether they will be receiving gifts that year.
I am so sick of judgement on how I spend my money. It's mine....you don't have to spend yours.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:03 AM

11,229 posts, read 9,228,214 times
I am trying to understand a discipline method that involves threatening your children. Do people really do this?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:08 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,019,005 times
I was threatened with the naughty list but never actually on it.

Oh man, I loved those childhood Christmases.

Sanny Claus rocks!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:46 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Good grief.

I guess I'm the wrong person to ask. I never fooled my kids into thinking that Santa Claus was actually real, and therefore the "naughty list" was never anything but a joke.

There are much better ways of handling bad behavior and poor choices than using fictional characters and a fictional "naughty list" as forms of actual discipline.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good grief.

I guess I'm the wrong person to ask. I never fooled my kids into thinking that Santa Claus was actually real, and therefore the "naughty list" was never anything but a joke.

There are much better ways of handling bad behavior and poor choices than using fictional characters and a fictional "naughty list" as forms of actual discipline.
That's why this post was directed at people who did do the Santa tradition.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Are you kidding me?...Kids who don't go to school until Kinder or 1st are way behind the other kids and play catch up for years.
I disagree. Vehemently. I did not have any sort of school before 1st grade. I had no issues and soon outpaced my classmates, and I was reading (and learning) at an adult level in the 3rd grade. A smart kid is a smart kid. Putting too much pressure on too early will cause the kid to rebel...and smarter kids are much better at rebellion (I certainly was). Due to his age and lack of experience he is limited in his ways of demonstrating his rebellion, this may change as he gets older and more experienced...and not in a good way. I really think that that may be the root cause of the issue, but that's just my opinion, you aren't obligated to consider it.

A smart kid, if pushed too hard may push back. I did, and I know I exasperated many people. The more they pushed, the more I pushed back. Eventually I was uncontrollable, I did what I wanted and no one could make me do different. Things might have been different if I had received some gentle direction and guidance along with rational, logical reasoning instead of "You have to do 'this', because we say so." I became resentful of people telling me I had to do what they wanted me to do, because they wanted me to do it. No, I *didn't* 'have to', and the more they pushed the more I demonstrated that they were wrong, and that they wouldn't 'win'.

Maybe, just maybe, that is what is going on in his head too, even if it is simply from an emotional level and he doesn't [yet] understand why he is behaving the way he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting