U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:07 PM

912 posts, read 593,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
After retiring after 39 years and teaching in a middle to upper middle class area , I agree. I don't need any candy ( however, the homemade stuff is really GOOD, LOL) or coffee mugs or other stuff. A note of thanks is sufficient. :-)
I love hearing I'm right. Thank you. To those that poo-pood my food idea (can't remember who), looks like you are in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 04:34 PM

194 posts, read 163,885 times
Give nothing.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:07 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I love hearing I'm right. Thank you. To those that poo-pood my food idea (can't remember who), looks like you are in the minority.
How does one person's opinion prove you are in the majority? It is one person. I'm not saying you were wrong, just that this doesn't prove anything.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:04 PM

912 posts, read 593,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How does one person's opinion prove you are in the majority? It is one person. I'm not saying you were wrong, just that this doesn't prove anything.
I guess you missed all the other posts before this one in agreement that food is preferred (and all the people that told me personally throughout the years). That's okay. I already know people like food. It's just a matter of picking the right food, which I'm very good at.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:37 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,402,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You know what? You teachers who poopoo gifts from your students are ungrateful jerks! They love you. They think of you as an important people in their lives. They love Christmas and want to include you in their lives.

You don't have to keep it. Frame it. Or even write a freaking thank you card. Just be the person our kids think you are. Be gracious. Not greedy. Be kind, not grinchy. Enjoy that your student (or their parent)thinks well enough to add you to their gift list.

Good lord. Some people.
Yep. I agree with this^^ I don't LOVE every single gift I've ever been given, but I certainly appreciate that someone thought of me with love when they selected it! Wouldn't most people, including teachers, feel this way?

We spent WAY more on teachers this year than EVER before. Quickly adding it up, I'd say about $250 on teacher gifts. Did NOT plan on spending that much, by the way. But you know what? My kids all have AMAZING teachers this year--teachers that obviously love their job, that are warm and funny and caring, teachers that challenge and excite my kids. My kids are happy. And they spent a LOT of time thinking about what gifts they wanted to get their teachers, or, in some cases came upon "the perfect thing!!" Thinking of others is a trait I want to foster. Showing appreciation is a trait I want to foster. Some examples:

One teacher loves Star Wars. My daughter (who also love Star Wars) was adamant about getting this teacher a Star Wars "figure". I told her that she probably already had all the stars wars "figures" she could want. Then my daughter explained that she wanted a bobble head character because the teacher uses them as "temporary trophies" and was missing my child's favorite character So she got an $8 bobble head and $40 gift card for movie tickets (to see the new movie!) Who's going to poo poo movie tickets?! Jerks, that's who!

At an arts festival another kid came across these BEAUTFUL hand-bound journals made with book jackets. One happened to be The Hobbit, a book my child loves and her class is going to be reading this year. She "had to get it!" That teacher was working the carpool line on Friday and when she saw my kid get in, I'm not exaggerating, she RAN to my car to tell me how much she loved her journal--how beautiful and perfect and unique it was. I told her I wasn't even there when my daughter found it and purchased it. My daughter positively radiated joy as she heard how much her gift meant to her teacher.

So, sorry teachers. If my kids love you, I'm going to love you, and you're going to get gifts at Christmas. And the end of the year. Maybe not your birthday and teacher appreciation week--I just don't have the organization skills required to be THAT on top of things What you do with those gifts is up to you.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:41 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,402,331 times
But to the OP...

NO. I would not bother contributing to the "class gift fund" for a teacher I didn't like.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:54 PM

17,181 posts, read 22,217,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
She a teacher, why buy anything for someone that just doing a job. A paycheck all they need
and they have every summer off!!! that's a gift ive never had!!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:17 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
and they have every summer off!!! that's a gift ive never had!!
My friends who are teacher are required to do tons of training over the summer. Many of them also take summer jobs to help offset the low income of being a teacher. They are only paid for the months they work. It's just decided into 12 instead of 9.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:27 AM

17,181 posts, read 22,217,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My friends who are teacher are required to do tons of training over the summer. Many of them also take summer jobs to help offset the low income of being a teacher. They are only paid for the months they work. It's just decided into 12 instead of 9.
low income being a teacher??

hey I love the work teachers do, but I don't buy this

teachers work about half the days a year,, from weekends to summers, to every holiday off

what other vocation gets all these holidays?? and weeks off and weekends?? and summers??
most working folks are lucky to get one vacation during the summer

if you back out all these days off teachers make a hell of an hourly rate,,, and yes most of the working class brings home work to do also

try working retail,,getting paid by the hour..

again..i respect the work teachers do,, but if most go to college and from college to teaching, they have never worked in the private sector,,, never had to make a payroll, or know what competition is ... not a well-rounded experience of how most of people work in the competitive marketplace(which drives the economy)

I have 4 best friend teachers,,, they live in an ideal world because they are insulated and comfortable,... most people work at 5-6 employers thru their working life,,teachers are fortunate they do not
and because of being quite comfortable they can live in idealism which equates to being very left leaning.. (my 4 friend teachers)

if I had to do it again,,,yes, id think about being a teacher,,,, (as long as I could discipline the kids, and tell the parents what I really think)

Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,512,408 times
Ask one teacher how many hours of work they do an evening after they go home. They all do it. I don't care about a few outliers, most don't make that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or