U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:53 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,744,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ask one teacher how many hours of work they do an evening after they go home. They all do it. I don't care about a few outliers, most don't make that much.
Yes, plus when they are at work, it isn't a job I'd want! They can't even leave the room to use the bathroom! It is harder to make sub plans so they can take a day off than it is just to go to work, and taking a partial day off is even harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 AM

3,819 posts, read 4,874,925 times
When I taught, I never expected a gift and appreciated the thoughtfulness of any gift. My favorite gifts were usually something for the classroom (or a gift card to a teacher store, Staples, etc...) When kids asked, this is what I always suggested. I was always happy with even a $5 gift card to McDonalds. I once got a very old, very dirty, very dusty homemade stuffed animal. I felt so terrible- I gushed over it at school, wrote a thank you note, etc..., but it went into the garbage at the end of the day. The child obviously wanted to give me something and had to find something from home. While it was not kept, it is remembered better than almost any other gift I was ever given, so that counts for something.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 AM

3,819 posts, read 4,874,925 times
And, just to chime in on how teachers work so few days/hours. I left teaching in June. The last two months, I've been on 11 and 12 hour days. I have more free time. No grading papers for three hours after school, so devoting Sunday to grading/updating grade books. Every Christmas vacation was spent grading, often journals or some other laborious task that I'd put off. I had to work retail jobs and teach summer school for extra money as I sunk into debt further each and every year. (For the first 8 years of my career I worked nights and weekends in retail, 25-30 hours per week just to pay my bills. I managed to accrue $10K in credit card debt despite working two jobs- all repairs that had to be made.) I also averaged 10-15 workshop days every summer. I taught for 10 years and this past summer was the first I had more that a week off. I decided to switch careers and I wanted to enjoy one summer since it is a supposed perk of my former career.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:12 PM

15,752 posts, read 13,180,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
low income being a teacher??

hey I love the work teachers do, but I don't buy this

teachers work about half the days a year,, from weekends to summers, to every holiday off

what other vocation gets all these holidays?? and weeks off and weekends?? and summers??
most working folks are lucky to get one vacation during the summer

if you back out all these days off teachers make a hell of an hourly rate,,, and yes most of the working class brings home work to do also

try working retail,,getting paid by the hour..

again..i respect the work teachers do,, but if most go to college and from college to teaching, they have never worked in the private sector,,, never had to make a payroll, or know what competition is ... not a well-rounded experience of how most of people work in the competitive marketplace(which drives the economy)

I have 4 best friend teachers,,, they live in an ideal world because they are insulated and comfortable,... most people work at 5-6 employers thru their working life,,teachers are fortunate they do not
and because of being quite comfortable they can live in idealism which equates to being very left leaning.. (my 4 friend teachers)

if I had to do it again,,,yes, id think about being a teacher,,,, (as long as I could discipline the kids, and tell the parents what I really think)
Ok enough of this myth.

1. Teachers do not work "half the days" of a typical work year. Most teachers are contracted to work 190-200 days a year plus another 5-10 of mandated professional development. There are 251 "work days" (365 minus 104 weekend days and 10 or so federal holidays) plus the average professional gets between 14-28 paid vacation days (Time Off: Paid Time Off from Work - Salary.com). For the typical teacher who has been working 10 or so years, that is roughly 205 days a year and for the typical professional worker that is roughly 224 days of work.

SO TEACHERS ONLY WORK ABOUT THREE WEEKS LESS THAN THEIR COUNTERPARTS.

2. Forty % of teachers are now coming from alternate route and industry. This notion that they have never "worked" before is just plain not true. In my district, none of the STEM teachers went straight from college to the classroom.

4. Your supposition that teachers never change employers is just plain old fashioned wrong. Not only do many new teachers leave the profession completely, even among those that stay teachers "Nationwide, approximately one-fifth of all teachers decide to leave the school at which they are teaching each year."

The Revolving Door - Education Next : Education Next

I have taught in 4 districts, and made a switch each year until I found a district that "fit". I have been here for 11 years now. That was similar to my experience in the private sector as well. New college graduates job hop until they find the employer they mesh with best.

3. If you "discipline the kids and tell the parents what (you) really think" than you wouldn't make it as a teacher.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:55 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,230,458 times
mrph rgh

oh, excuse me. I was just picking my jaw up from the floor. $25/student for a teacher gift?? Wow. Just... wow. There is no way I could afford that.

I have always taught in Title 1 schools with *very* high rates of free/reduced lunch. Once I received a gift card for $25 and was in shock. If I did get gifts, they were of the $2-7 variety, and from less than half the class. I was appreciative and touched by every single gift (although the K student who brought me a box of chocolate that was 95% empty- eaten by him and his buddies in the breakfast line- has to be one of my favorites ).

The best gifts I've ever received were the cards and notes from students and their parents. In fact, my very favorite was from a 5th grader with whom I had a somewhat difficult relationship. He appeared very disconnected and I felt like I had truly failed to reach him all year. At the end of the year, teachers had a quick staff meeting. I came back in to my room to find a handwritten note on my desk from this boy. It make me teary-eyed to think of it even now, years later. In it, he told me I was the best teacher he had and he learned so much from me, even though he never did his work. That meant more to me than any $400 spa day ever could. Isn't that why (good) teachers teach? To make positive impacts on children?

But I digress. With regards to the OP- with all of my own kids, I would not be able to put that kind of money into each teacher's gift. Nor would I want to. I think most teachers want to be appreciated, but that doesn't have to mean an expensive gift. At this point, with kids in middle and high school, I can't even afford $5 gift cards for each of their teachers. As to whether I'd gift a teacher who I really didn't like, I guess it would depend on the circumstances. When my kids were still in elementary, I gave small gifts to their teachers. One had a few different teachers and I really disliked one of them. We gave gifts to all, however. My son did like her and I truly think she was doing the best she could. I just really didn't like her and her approach.

Oh, and to this:
Quote:
never had to make a payroll, or know what competition is ... not a well-rounded experience of how most of people work in the competitive marketplace(which drives the economy)

I have 4 best friend teachers,,, they live in an ideal world because they are insulated and comfortable,...
There are many places in the US where the competition for jobs is fierce and teachers are "let go" each year and then must scramble to find another job. Some districts have tenure that gives some protections to teachers who make it that far, others do not and can be dismissed at will. It's not comfortable for everyone, nor is it stable. And teacher pay varies considerably from district to district and state to state. Working conditions are also incredibly variable. Some schools have a lot more resources and teachers have planning and other breaks/support; in others teachers are trying to subsidize a lack of materials and having to be with students 100% of the school day. I'm sure we could find similar variability amongst "corporate" jobs, with some having much better benefits/working conditions/pay than others.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 12-20-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 11:26 PM

483 posts, read 419,809 times
If you don't want to get her gift, don't, good lord.

I teach and love getting gifts. Just last night me and DH used one of the gift cards I got for a date night and topped it off with some homemade chocolate dipped pretzels from another family.

We thoroughly enjoy Christmas in this house and I order cool thank you cards every year to give to the parents once we are back after break.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:31 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 6 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,499,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
So WWYD? Contribute to collection? Don't contribute and give a cheap/small gift? Or bc you think she's crappy, give nothing? What do I do about the assistant since she won't even be there.

I would not be part of a collection. Other people tend to muck things up and make things more confusing. I also don't think a teacher "deserves" a gift…almost no one does for doing their job. Now if the teacher has gone above and beyond and your child loves that teacher than yes…give her/him something small. In this case I would give nothing.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 AM

3,761 posts, read 4,296,965 times
My kids are now middle-schoolers and I've never given their teachers gifts. It's unnecessary, and based on conversations I've had with teacher friends, unwanted (imagine having 50-100 students give you little token xmas gifts - it's burdensome).

Old 12-22-2015, 12:29 PM

171 posts, read 139,494 times
25.00 seems a little bit much considering there are usually around 20 kids in each class. I always thought 10 was more the normal amount "expected" from the room mom even though they don't usually say a specific amount that seems to be what most people I know give.

25 adds up quick especially if you have more than one child and multiple teachers.

We got our K teacher a gift card for coffee this year and my son made her a card but she does go above and beyond. She is always drinking coffee in the morning so we know she will use it and it isn't another mug, candle, or body lotion to collect dust in a box somewhere in the garage.

A friend of mine works in a high school in a very wealthy area in Ca. She always gets expensive gifts from a few of her students. She just writes a thank you card and usually passes the gifts along. She gave me a 300.00 pair of shoes from Nordstrom that she wasn't going to wear that one of her students gave her. This isn't really the norm for teachers though - we refer to her district as bubble land, not reality for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or