Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That's pretty steep. My kids were in preschool only a few years ago and they did collections and asked for $5-10 per family. It supposed to be a nice gesture, not diamond earrings. I think the mom is charge is over doing it. I did spend about that much on our loved teachers, even preschool. But not in a cash drive.

Ok...so in this case, no I wouldn't contribute. Or give only a few bucks. Because it isn't a gift coming from the child. Likely they know nothing of it.

However, my daughter had a TERRIBLE kinder teacher. She was critical, rude, unhelpful, self absorbed and awful at actual teaching. I could go on. Honestly, I have 4 kids and have only had a small handful of terrible teachers for them. She takes spot #1. But comes Christmas time, my daughter wanted to buy and give her a gift. We had done it together for her preschool teachers (she started preschool at age 2 so she was used to shopping and gifting her teachers). My daughter even liked that witch of a teacher. So I bit my tongue, painted a smile on, and took my daughter out to buy her teacher a gift. She chose to go to a candy store and picked a $9 box of chocolate. I kind of wanted to add a mean note. I didn't. But...

So in the case of the kid wanting to get a gift for their teacher a gift, even if I hated them, I would go along. A cash grab "well it just slipped my mind...it's such a busy time of year".

Should have put Ex-Lax in the chocolates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
My husband gets loads of gifts from people he helps over the years. Tons. Some is crazy odd. Some is yummy. Some we are allergic to. But we never throw a public tantrum about how we don't want it. One person brought him 200 lbs of citrus fruit. No joke. He passed most of it over the department but still brought home 50 lbs. we made juice. Ate a ton. Some still rotted. But we were nothing but grateful that someone thought so highly of him to bring him such a gift.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
My husband gets loads of gifts from people he helps over the years. Tons. Some is crazy odd. Some is yummy. Some we are allergic to. But we never throw a public tantrum about how we don't want it. One person brought him 200 lbs of citrus fruit. No joke. He passed most of it over the department but still brought home 50 lbs. we made juice. Ate a ton. Some still rotted. But we were nothing but grateful that someone thought so highly of him to bring him such a gift.
You're really worked up over nothing. I never, ever, heard of a teacher being anything but gracious over the gifts they received, no matter how repetitive they are. Public tantrum? Please. What teachers have said here is no more public than your responses.

IF you are going to buy a gift for the teachers, then why not put a little thought into it? It's just as easy to buy pencils, paper and markers as it is to buy a mug. A teacher with 20 students a year over a career lasting 20 yrs or more, has enough, I promise you.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:57 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
reminds me of an "ask around" when my son was in school,,,trying to collect money for a teacher for a "spa day" and the person who started this ask around was the spa owner..

I quickly suggested because im a butcher,,lets buy half a pig,,,for her freezer..
which killed the whole effort/ask around

as a parent, if you want to give the teacher a gift,,,teach your kid manners and treat the teacher with respect..give her a thank you note/card at the end of the year

Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
You know what? You teachers who poopoo gifts from your students are ungrateful jerks! They love you. They think of you as an important people in their lives. They love Christmas and want to include you in their lives.

You don't have to keep it. Frame it. Or even write a freaking thank you card. Just be the person our kids think you are. Be gracious. Not greedy. Be kind, not grinchy. Enjoy that your student (or their parent)thinks well enough to add you to their gift list.

Good lord. Some people.
Quote:
I have never seen such a bunch of ungrateful people as the "teachers" who have chimed in. Do you ever think of your student? Or is it all about you?
Or is it all about YOU? It seems to be really important for you to be able to give a gift whether the receiver wants it or not. It isn't a gift if the teacher then has to figure out a way to dispose of it. You aren't really thinking of the teacher, you are thinking of yourself and your kid. That's not the right reason to give a gift. I think a simple card thanking them for all they do is just as meaningful, if not more meaningful, and it doesn't cost them a trip to goodwill. Some people is right

Old 12-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Or is it all about YOU? It seems to be really important for you to be able to give a gift whether the receiver wants it or not. It isn't a gift if the teacher then has to figure out a way to dispose of it. You aren't really thinking of the teacher, you are thinking of yourself and your kid. That's not the right reason to give a gift. I think a simple card thanking them for all they do is just as meaningful, if not more meaningful, and it doesn't cost them a trip to goodwill. Some people is right
If they said up front they don't want gifts, and I insisted, then it would be all about me. But not saying anything and expecting me to read minds and then moaning about their trip to goodwill on forums is tacky. Be gracious. It would never occur to me to be so petty about little children giving me gifts. It's a real sore spot for me (not teacher related).

Old 12-18-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You're really worked up over nothing. I never, ever, heard of a teacher being anything but gracious over the gifts they received, no matter how repetitive they are. Public tantrum? Please. What teachers have said here is no more public than your responses.

IF you are going to buy a gift for the teachers, then why not put a little thought into it? It's just as easy to buy pencils, paper and markers as it is to buy a mug. A teacher with 20 students a year over a career lasting 20 yrs or more, has enough, I promise you.
I've never given a teacher a mug...I actually help my children put real thought into their gifts they give. But all this Christmas negativity really is putting a damper on the joy of the seasons. I just don't get it.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think when it's the kid giving the gift, it's a little different. How do you explain to a 7-8 year old who wants to give their teacher this particular gift that THEY are so sure she will love, "Umm, your teacher probably won't like/doesn't need/doesn't want that." The child wants to be the one who chooses a gift, and what they choose IS from their heart. My dd wanted to give her teacher this stuffed SpongeBob. I KNEW the teacher had no use for stuffed toys and would probably dispose of it. But I wasn't going to tell my dd that because it meant so much for her to give it. When I asked about it later, she said her teacher loved it and gave her a big hug. I am really grateful for that teacher's reaction, although she more than likely has little use for SpongeBob.

As parents, how many times have we gotten useless art projects, scribble art, dandelions bouquets, or dollar store jewelry, and were thrilled with it and loved it because we knew they were heartfelt gifts from the children who loved us? Even if we quietly packed them away or disposed of them, we had a big smile and a big hug when we received them, which is all the kid really wants.

Of course, if it's the parent buying the teacher a gift, they should be considerate to the teacher's needs and wants. I don't expect the same from children.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
You know what? You teachers who poopoo gifts from your students are ungrateful jerks! They love you. They think of you as an important people in their lives. They love Christmas and want to include you in their lives.
I doubt that. Sure, I know it happens sometimes, but I think it's more likely is that moms feel pressured by other moms and cough up the money.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I doubt that. Sure, I know it happens sometimes, but I think it's more likely is that moms feel pressured by other moms and cough up the money.
In some cases, yes. Like when there is a collection going. And I am sure some moms use the time to kiss up to teachers or try to be the queen bee of PTA. But I don't think that's what we are talking about here. We are talking about kids getting small gifts for their teachers for the holidays. Which I think is most of them.

I'm totally going to skip teacher gifts this year...don't want to offend anyone. Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting