Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:34 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,893,009 times

Advertisements

Teachers aren't really allowed to accept material gifts from students or their families. Cookies, or a scarf, is innocent enough ... what sort of gift are we talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 PM

601 posts, read 1,444,003 times
My wife's a teacher. She got a crap load of gifts from her students (and their parents), student teachers, co-workers.

She's cool like that.

/eating cookies

Old 12-18-2015, 06:50 PM

912 posts, read 908,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
My wife's a teacher. She got a crap load of gifts from her students (and their parents), student teachers, co-workers.

She's cool like that.

/eating cookies
lol Love this. You just won the thread. Next topic. lol!!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't have time fo that either! This thread has become ridiculous. We have actual teachers saying no thanks on the gifts, and you saying they're wrong. That makes no sense. I'm glad you are such a wonderfully thoughtful gift giver. The original question was about a gift for a teacher the op doesn't even like. My answer is still no.
Again. I did not say that. I hope you're not an English teacher.

Yes, this thread is ridiculous. I still say YES. Give the teacher a small gift / gift card / card and call it a day.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,637,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My kids love to buy their teachers gifts. What's the problem with it?
Because I am busy to be perfectly honest. Keeping track of who gave what, getting the thank you notes, writing them out, looking up all the addresses, mailing them out and so on. I have gotten as many as 60+ indivual presents from gift cards to candy to mugs whatever. all thoughtfully given by the child so thus warranting hours of individual thank you notes.

As others have posted most of us vastly prefer a nice note at the end of the year. It would be nice if parents guided their children to group gifts (like the cookie tray or fruit basket for the staff room) or to writing notes. Not to mention the fact it is vaguely inappropriate, especially with some gifts given. The topic came up of giving teachers gifts, since most of us prefer not to get gifts, I shared that opinion. Feel free to ignore it. Many people are more concerned with the givers wants than the receivers, it's human nature.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I've heard many times that the teachers don't want gifts. And I've always wondered why, if it's truly the case, they don't convey that to the parents, either individually or as a group via administration.
It's almost always in the school handbook somewhere.

And when would we bring it up? Back to school night? Thanks for coming, here is the syllabus, please no gifts?

Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because I am busy to be perfectly honest. Keeping track of who gave what, getting the thank you notes, writing them out, looking up all the addresses, mailing them out and so on. I have gotten as many as 60+ indivual presents from gift cards to candy to mugs whatever. all thoughtfully given by the child so thus warranting hours of individual thank you notes.

As others have posted most of us vastly prefer a nice note at the end of the year. It would be nice if parents guided their children to group gifts (like the cookie tray or fruit basket for the staff room) or to writing notes. Not to mention the fact it is vaguely inappropriate, especially with some gifts given. The topic came up of giving teachers gifts, since most of us prefer not to get gifts, I shared that opinion. Feel free to ignore it. Many people are more concerned with the givers wants than the receivers, it's human nature.
We never once asked that you send a freaking thank you card. Not once. Not needed, not expected. Maybe if my kids do get a gift for their teacher I should include a note saying that. Or maybe if they are so tacky as to be bothered by little kids making or buying them gifts, they should come right out and say not to.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,817,888 times
By the way, while the primary teachers give a thank you note (usually directly in the I take home folder), I never got a thank you note from a art, PE, music, etc teacher. Despite the kids picked them gifts every year. And I don't expect it. Gifts are given, usually the recipient says thanks right away. That's all that is needed.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

While I usually agree with you, and I do believe most gifts are given with the giver's wants rather than the receiver's (but it's human nature to go "oh, I'd love this, so I bet they would to", not as common to go "oh, I hate this. I'll get it for xyz" lol).

I've heard several teachers make comments about gifts (how the extra cash is helpful, etc -- they save money on bath products because they get so many great ones as gifts, etc). But when the old FedEx guy at my last office dropped hints he was expecting gifts, I was like, this is getting absurd. So I'm suppose to buy a gift for everyone that provides a service to my family? How about the guy that does my oil change? Jeesh. lol

But with teachers, I don't feel it's an obligation (unless it's a teacher I don't like, which hasn't happened yet, but there was one I wasn't as fond of as the others), as they do have a large role in my child's life and I do see them as a part of our tiny family in some abstract way. Children grow fond of some teachers. So there are more than one reason that a family might want to gift a teacher, and it's not always because it's about the gift giver or a feeling of obligation, but of genuine appreciation. Is an Amazon gift card and a handmade note really that much of a burden?

If writing the notes is a chore, that sounds like the biggest complaint, (like after a wedding, goodness help me, that was not fun), maybe find a creative way to mass produce some thank yous (print the card, then sign your name). I don't think anyone would mind. Heck, I don't think I even got thank you cards from most of the teachers, but I did get verbal thanks. I didn't even notice I didn't get a card (and my 'Ms. Manners' of a godmother has me programed to send 'thank yous' for things most wouldn't even dream of).

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
You know what? You teachers who poopoo gifts from your students are ungrateful jerks! They love you. They think of you as an important people in their lives. They love Christmas and want to include you in their lives.

You don't have to keep it. Frame it. Or even write a freaking thank you card. Just be the person our kids think you are. Be gracious. Not greedy. Be kind, not grinchy. Enjoy that your student (or their parent)thinks well enough to add you to their gift list.

Good lord. Some people.
Quote:
I have never seen such a bunch of ungrateful people as the "teachers" who have chimed in. Do you ever think of your student? Or is it all about you?
Some one asked if they have to give teachers presents. So since we were ASKED we volunteered our opinions. You are the one calling names and acting unbecomingly. Of course we say thank you, most of us spend hours and hours writing out and sending thank you cards because we do appreciate the thoughts of our students and want them to learn good manners. But as their parents you could also teach them that giving is first and foremost about the recipient and not about the giver. I am glad you get the warm fuzzies over your children giving their teachers hours of additional work but its not about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting