Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM

685 posts, read 1,100,303 times

Advertisements

Yes? No? If you truly feel like this person is just a crappy teacher and she/he has been rude to you in the past and your child, do you look past it and give a gift bc it's the "season of giving"? Do it bc you don't want your child to know you don't like their teacher.

DD is in Pre-K. I got sent home a letter asking for $25 per student for a class collection for a gift. No clue who this mother is either. I'm really not a fan of class collections to begin with and when DH saw this, he said he did not want to contribute and I sort of feel the same way. After a particular incident last week, I even thought for a minute of not buying her anything, let alone contributing the $25. The assistant teacher, who is nice and does more for DD then I've seen the teacher do, is sick and has been out for weeks, so not sure when or if I can give her a gift. And it was going to be something small, like some candy. Last year dd's school had the most caring, nurturing staff around. I didn't think twice about not gifting them for XMas and end of the year. I did for both and wrote a nice hand written note both to the teacher, assistant and director. This school and teacher is the COMPLETE opposite.

So WWYD? Contribute to collection? Don't contribute and give a cheap/small gift? Or bc you think she's crappy, give nothing? What do I do about the assistant since she won't even be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,626,227 times
Skip the collection and buy your own gift for whomever you like.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:12 PM

22,298 posts, read 47,253,896 times
$25 and in pre-K?
No way, even if I loved the teacher!

Old 12-16-2015, 06:12 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,798,142 times
Yeah, I wouldn't contribute. I got an email for collection too. I don't have that much money right now, so even though I really like her teacher I didn't contribute and got her a gift on our own. My daughter decorated it and drew her own card. Honestly I think it's more personable and it was definitely much cheaper!

Just have your daughter draw her a card. No money spent, but she still acknowledges the holiday. Get something for the assistant and just give it to her after break.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,824,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
$25 and in pre-K?
That's pretty steep. My kids were in preschool only a few years ago and they did collections and asked for $5-10 per family. It supposed to be a nice gesture, not diamond earrings. I think the mom is charge is over doing it. I did spend about that much on our loved teachers, even preschool. But not in a cash drive.

Ok...so in this case, no I wouldn't contribute. Or give only a few bucks. Because it isn't a gift coming from the child. Likely they know nothing of it.

However, my daughter had a TERRIBLE kinder teacher. She was critical, rude, unhelpful, self absorbed and awful at actual teaching. I could go on. Honestly, I have 4 kids and have only had a small handful of terrible teachers for them. She takes spot #1. But comes Christmas time, my daughter wanted to buy and give her a gift. We had done it together for her preschool teachers (she started preschool at age 2 so she was used to shopping and gifting her teachers). My daughter even liked that witch of a teacher. So I bit my tongue, painted a smile on, and took my daughter out to buy her teacher a gift. She chose to go to a candy store and picked a $9 box of chocolate. I kind of wanted to add a mean note. I didn't. But...

So in the case of the kid wanting to get a gift for their teacher a gift, even if I hated them, I would go along. A cash grab "well it just slipped my mind...it's such a busy time of year".

Old 12-16-2015, 06:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,824,854 times
Omg I actually remembered something. In preschool the room mom was doing a cash round up for a teacher and her asst teacher for the end of the year gift. I had liked the teacher until the end of the year. I found out she was talking c*ap about me. She was also being oddly over involved with my decision about what school my kid was going to (she wanted me to choose a public school but I chose a private school and she actually yelled at me). I was so mad, I didn't want to give anything. So I ignored the emails and just sort of passed off the comments when the room mom mentioned it to me.

So mid summer I got a text. "Hey, I covered your part of the gift to the teacher. Just get the cash to me when you can".

Ugh

Old 12-16-2015, 06:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,288,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
$25 and in pre-K?
Heck, no! (Agreeing!)

What's the room mom going to buy with all that money, a new coat or something?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,051,772 times
No. No way.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,989,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Skip the collection and buy your own gift for whomever you like.

I agree.

I taught in an upper middle class suburb and it was extremely rare that they ever did whole class collections for gifts for any teacher in my building. The very few times it was for something like a baby shower gift from the whole class and then it was something like " suggested gift $5" or "donate what you want to give".

$25 each ? ! ? ! Wow, that must be some ritzy district!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,646,586 times
I am a teacher. Please don't buy us gifts. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting