Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times

Advertisements

If I tried to cover up with my son, he'd grab whatever blanket I was using and wave it around like a flag.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:12 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I think people need to get over the idea that the breast is a sex organ and let the mothers get on with nourishing their babies, covered or not, according to the baby's comfort without thinking they are offending anyone. They contain the mammary glands for that specific reason

Old 12-18-2015, 10:26 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think people need to get over the idea that the breast is a sex organ
That's unrealistic, considering the fact that women, unlike all other female animals, have prominent breasts even if they have never borne a child. They're clearly not "just" for feeding babies.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's unrealistic, considering the fact that women, unlike all other female animals, have prominent breasts even if they have never borne a child. They're clearly not "just" for feeding babies.
So what? The notion is for people to get over their puritan ewwwww about sexuality and recognize that when breastfeeding, they ARE for feeding babies.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:52 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They're clearly not "just" for feeding babies.
Neither is my mouth. How would you suggest I cover it?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:57 AM

258 posts, read 299,639 times
I'm not necessarily offended by breastfeeding. However, the only two times I have ever seen a woman breast feed in public were not the best, I guess.

I worked at a bank and was opening an account for a foreign lady who had her child with her. She did not speak English and it was very difficult getting the correct information from her to begin with because of the language barrier. In the middle of the account opening, she just unzips her hoodie, pops her boob out and starts feeding her child. It was distracting, to say the least. It would be one thing if it were a restaurant or somewhere a little more relaxed, but this was at a bank, conducting financial business. Maybe this was something totally appropriate in her native country, but I considered it offputting.

A couple of years ago I went to a MLB game in town. The couple who sat beside my husband and I also had an infant and a carseat/carrier with them (and didn't buy an extra seat to put it in, so the carrier was wedged in the aisle). Stadium seats are never roomy, and around the third inning, I feel this bumping against my arm. I look down and this woman is breastfeeding her child--- it's head was bumping my arm. I was irritated by that, for sure. First off, a baseball game is a completely inappropriate place to bring an infant, as they could be hurt or killed by a fly ball. Secondly, I don't care if you have to feed your child, but when it's using my arm as a headrest during the feeding, it has now encroached on my personal space and I have a right to object.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
I think it's so weird men are offended by it. If it's a sex organ, then are they worried they are going to get turned on? Don't think so. I think they find it ugly. They don't like to think of breasts in a non sexual way. So...how is the a woman's problem? It's not.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:16 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
If I tried to cover up with my son, he'd grab whatever blanket I was using and wave it around like a flag.
ha, funny!

Yep, babies can definitely have a preference about not being covered up, and they can make it known.

Women have the right to breastfeed wherever they want and are not required to use a cover. Those who find them uncomfortable or awkward or whose babies don't care from them don't use them, it's that simple.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Some babies protest when they are covered while eating. They want to see Mom's face and look around. I had one of these babies and trying to cover her up called way more attention to the fact that I was nursing her then if I just went ahead and nursed her without a cover.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:53 PM

912 posts, read 915,007 times
Because of my son's oral motor and muscular issues (as well as reduced milk supply on one side), breast-feeding was a challenge for us so I didn't even attempt to breast-feed in public. Just from what we did at home, I knew that we both needed to be able to see what we were doing and when I attempted to use a cover at home just to see how he would do if we did try using a cover in public, he did get hot and fussy, as others said. I agree about baby wanting to see mom's face too. Mine did. He'd totally panic if he couldn't see me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting