Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:29 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So can you explain why people don't do and reveal all these things in public, seeing that they are harmless? Why don't we just install toilets openly on the side of the road?
Really? Poop and pee is unsanitary, can make people sick and spread disease. It's also messy and foul smelling. Breastfeeding doesn't leave a mess, it's not unsanitary and even if breast milk was squirted all over a public area (which seriously does not happen) you could wipe it with your bare hands and rub it on your face and in your mouth and the worse thing that would happen is you'd get some vitamins, minerals and wonderful antibodies in your system.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:31 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
So can you explain why people don't do and reveal all these things in public, seeing that they are harmless? Why don't we just install toilets openly on the side of the road?
I see a lot of urinating in public here so not sure what your point is. And besides, as I said, it leaves unsanitary 'leavings' which is quite different from breasts being revealed.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
I didn't use a cover when I nursed my kids, because it seemed like a fussy process to arrange the contraptions properly, and I didn't really see the point. I was able to be discrete without a blanket or covering. I'd pull up my shirt, attach child, and then pull down the shirt so that it covered my breast up to the point where the child was at the nipple. THe child's body covered the lower half of the breast. So, there was probably less than a square inch of exposed flesh at any time.

I would have felt much more self-conscious if I'd had a wrap around my body. As it was, a lot of people didn't even realize I was nursing and thought I was just holding a sleeping baby close.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
And there we have it...it always gets to this. Some close minded person equating nursing a baby with taking a crap.
Please read my posts. I am not close minded and I don't think these are the same thing at all. I'm a mother of three who breastfed. The only reason we got to this point is that some people feel there is nothing inappropriate about a woman openly revealing her breasts in public, and I don't agree.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:24 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Please read my posts. I am not close minded and I don't think these are the same thing at all. I'm a mother of three who breastfed. The only reason we got to this point is that some people feel there is nothing inappropriate about a woman openly revealing her breasts in public, and I don't agree.
Look up what secondary sex characteristic means, you were using it incorrectly.

Second, you did compare breast feeding in public to going to the bathroom in public.

I thought you were an old man with outdated views. That's how you came across.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:26 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Because it's a pain in the arse and very uncomfortable for mom and baby.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Second, you did compare breast feeding in public to going to the bathroom in public.
I didn't. The issue at first was whether breasts are sexual as well as lactatory. Some people felt they are not, or should not, be sexual in any way.

So I asked why it's not culturally acceptable, at least in some areas, for women to go topless. The response was that there is nothing wrong with it.

I then asked why it's not acceptable for men to go bottomless, or for people to urinate in public. The response, again, was that there is nothing wrong with either, except that public urination is unsanitary.

So logically, I asked why it would not be acceptable to have a toilet by the side of the road, to eliminate the unsanitary factor.

(I'm still trying to get someone, anyone, to explain why something may not be culturally acceptable.)

At this point, I was told that I was equating breastfeeding with elimination, and that I was a dirty old man.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:38 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
I didn't. The issue at first was whether breasts are sexual as well as lactatory. Some people felt they are not, or should not, be sexual in any way.

So I asked why it's not culturally acceptable, at least in some areas, for women to go topless. The response was that there is nothing wrong with it.

I then asked why it's not acceptable for men to go bottomless, or for people to urinate in public. The response, again, was that there is nothing wrong with either, except that public urination is unsanitary.

So logically, I asked why it would not be acceptable to have a toilet by the side of the road, to eliminate the unsanitary factor.

(I'm still trying to get someone, anyone, to explain why something may not be culturally acceptable.)

At this point, I was told that I was equating breastfeeding with elimination, and that I was a dirty old man.
They have urinals in London on the corner of a street. We were in the Soho district I believe it was called and we walked down to the end of the street and there they were.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
They have urinals in London on the corner of a street. We were in the Soho district I believe it was called and we walked down to the end of the street and there they were.
Okay! Everything is acceptable in public as long as it's sanitary. At least we have cleared that up.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Look up what secondary sex characteristic means, you were using it incorrectly.
Just for the record, I looked it up: Secondary sex characteristics are features which appear at puberty. These secondary characteristics are features such as pubic hair, breast development in females, and beards in males.

To quote my previous post:
Quote:
Breasts are obviously a secondary sexual characteristic of females
What part was incorrect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting