U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2015, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 591,973 times
Reputation: 1078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
lol
I can't have a discussion with someone that knows so little about this topic. Unless you have a PhD, your "opinion" does not override the medical knowledge of multiple doctors from one of the best hospitals in the world. So please, save yourself some time, because I'm not going to waste my time talking with someone that doesn't know the topic we're talking about. You can live in your world of ignorance, and I will live in mine based on medical fact from reputable sources.

 
Old 12-19-2015, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 591,973 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Good lord. I expected the anti boob folk to come out. Instead we got the momma's milk nazis.

Fun

I knew it would come to one or the other.
Yup. I give one post to correct the misinformation then move on. That's all you can do with some people when their "logic" is so far from reality that even a discussion is wasted on them. Such is life. You can't save everyone.
 
Old 12-19-2015, 08:38 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Yup. I give one post to correct the misinformation then move on. That's all you can do with some people when their "logic" is so far from reality that even a discussion is wasted on them. Such is life. You can't save everyone.
 
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 PM
 
5,497 posts, read 3,352,872 times
Reputation: 13912
Just to bring up one more side issue, there is increasing evidence that delaying solids, especially common allergenic foods, and denying a child any cow's milk or formula is a major factor in the development of food allergies. I know most people here are not saying a child can't breastfeed AND eat solids. But I have known two well-intentioned young mothers who insisted that "Nothing but my pure breast milk shall touch my child's lips until s/he is one year old," and those babies both ended up with severe food allergies.

One of those mothers even said she must be correct that her child needed nothing but breast milk for one year because at 12 months old, he still had no teeth. "If he was supposed to be eating food, he would have teeth."
 
Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Just to bring up one more side issue, there is increasing evidence that delaying solids, especially common allergenic foods, and denying a child any cow's milk or formula is a major factor in the development of food allergies. I know most people here are not saying a child can't breastfeed AND eat solids. But I have known two well-intentioned young mothers who insisted that "Nothing but my pure breast milk shall touch my child's lips until s/he is one year old," and those babies both ended up with severe food allergies.

One of those mothers even said she must be correct that her child needed nothing but breast milk for one year because at 12 months old, he still had no teeth. "If he was supposed to be eating food, he would have teeth."
When my first was little, I vowed to never let my baby have sugar, even fruit sugar until 1 year old. Another mom told me if I did that, he would never be a fan of sweets. Hey, it worked for her kids.

So I did it. Made baby food. Meats and veggies only (so a few sugar grams there, but minimal, the mom told me it was ok). No grains. No fruits. No juices. No rice cereal. The ped told me, sure, sounds good.

This kid grew up to have the biggest sweet tooth I have ever seen in a person. He would eat an entire dinner of chocolate and then ask for cake with ice cream for dessert. And then ask for a cup of maple syrup and a cinnamon roll for breakfast. Seriously.

So a year later comes my daughter. She was diagnosed with a serious infection as a young infant and had to go on oral medications 3 times a day for a year. It was 95% sugar..

She refused to eat sweets until her 7th birthday. And now she is still minimal with her sweets. You say she can have two cookies, and she eats one and saves one for later. She scrapes icing off cakes. Buy her an ice cream cone with a small scoop, she takes a few licks and throws it away

Sorry but moms get some pretty extreme ideas about child rearing. And if it happens to pan out, they shout it to the hill tops. But really, it doesn't usually work for all kids. Or even most. And even the small part it works for...I kind of think the parents op hype it more to sound like amazing parents.


As an aside, the few (maybe 4) of kids who I knwe that were extended breast fed past 3 years old turned out to be socially messed up, not too bright and a lot backwards. But what ever. It's not slanted scientific data.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 12-19-2015 at 10:08 PM..
 
Old 12-19-2015, 10:13 PM
 
2,813 posts, read 1,396,901 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think we should start a "whip it out" drinking game. As I have very seldom seen such a thing in the real world, at the very least we can have some fun with this phenomenon.
Seriously! In my dozen+ years of parenting and breastfeeding and involvement with moms' groups, I have never--NEVER--not even once seen a woman "whip it out" to nurse her baby. Never!
 
Old 12-20-2015, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,221,841 times
Reputation: 10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ladies, please---lets stop calling them boobs". I find the term childish, ignorant, and just plain stupid
If you want to be taken seriously, speak correctly! I went for a mammogram and the technician actually referred to them as "boobs". I refused the mammogram, and asked to speak to a supervisor, who apologized. The tech actually said "ok, lets take a picture of your boobies"


Again, ladies, they are BREASTS, not boobs. If you want respect and to be treated like a lady, act like one!
Boobs, boobs, boobs.
 
Old 12-20-2015, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,221,841 times
Reputation: 10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Psychologically there's a *huge* problem with it. A pediatric dentist would have a fit with it too due to cavities and misaligned teeth structure (and your orthodontist will love you when your child needs braces when the adult teeth come in wrong because of the damaged baby teeth).

Most children nursing at that age are doing it for psychological / security blanket issues. If they need that, they have issues that need the help of a professional because they don't have proper stress coping mechanisms.

This is the same reason we don't see preschoolers walking around with binkies, unless there's something wrong. Yes, I get that some children need it (ASD children, for example). But an otherwise healthy child should have been taught coping skills long before this age so that the breast and binkie could be weaned.

Professionals also don't recommend nudity of adults around children after a certain age because it can be confusing for them.

I think even just one Child Pysch. 101 class would do wonders for several on this thread.
Where's your source for psychological issues with nursing past infancy?

Breastfeeding is hardly an adult being nude around children, but in any case what professionals set an age for stopping nudity around children? All the children in my entire country grow up seeing their parents naked, strangers naked (in public saunas) throughout their childhood and adolescence (gender-segregated normally by late childhood -8ish or so) I don't think they're all getting confused by that...
 
Old 12-20-2015, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Canada
8,695 posts, read 7,768,401 times
Reputation: 17911
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Seriously! In my dozen+ years of parenting and breastfeeding and involvement with moms' groups, I have never--NEVER--not even once seen a woman "whip it out" to nurse her baby. Never!
This has been on media/social media the past couple of days here:

Ontario woman gets backlash for breastfeeding baby on Santa’s lap | Globalnews.ca

 
Old 12-20-2015, 11:59 AM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,260,408 times
Reputation: 9100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
As an aside, the few (maybe 4) of kids who I knwe that were extended breast fed past 3 years old turned out to be socially messed up, not too bright and a lot backwards. But what ever. It's not slanted scientific data.

I have not noticed that at all. All of the kids I know who were breastfed past the age of 3 are totally normal, well adjusted, social, bright and normal children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top