U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:45 PM

6,894 posts, read 4,223,982 times

Advertisements

What is there to cover? If the baby's head is covering everything that is typically covered by a swim suit, what's the issue? You don't see the areola. Do you tell women baring cleavage, in low cut tops, to cover their assets? Do you avoid the beach and pool during the summer? You don't see the areola, but you can surely see some boobage.

When I nurse in public I try to be discreet, but I don't use any sort of contraption or cover. Most babies don't like things over their head, and it gets warm and uncomfortable. It immediately gets pulled off or frustrates them making the nursing session difficult and more obvious to other people. You draw more attention with covers than without. I've lived in four states, many cities, from the progressive West Coast to the South, and have only seen a woman's entire breast once. And it was when her older baby popped off when he/she got distracted by something. What did I do? Nothing. Because I'm not offended by boobs, whether it's in the context of physiological purpose, or to sell beer, burgers, cars, clothes, and everything in between.

I nursed my 1 year old, discreetly, no cover, today at my older kids' school holiday program. Her head and my shirt covered any boobage that could possibly offend someone's sensibilities.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,355,263 times
Most women are discreet, whether they choose to use a cover or not. I'm not offended just because someone is obviously breastfeeding.

On the other hand, I'm not into a double standard. If it shouldn't be hanging out of your swimsuit, it shouldn't be hanging out when you feed your baby. If you have a baby that is constantly popping on and off and swiveling around, or if you need to strip to see what is going on and get into the right position, you need to accept that feeding in public is not the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Would YOU be comfortable eating all your food with a bag or a blanket over your face and head?
This is a silly argument. Would you like to have someone pick you up, put you over their shoulder and pat your back? How would you feel if someone took a spoon and put food in your mouth? Would you be comfortable if someone took off your pants and wiped your rear end?

What's "comfortable" for adults is not a guideline for what we do for babies, and thank goodness for that.

As far as that goes, a mother may understandably not want to sit in a bathroom to breastfeed, and I don't think she should have to (unless it is impossible for her to be discreet, as mentioned above) but I really doubt any baby notices or cares that s/he is in a bathroom.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Bottom line, breasts are for feeding babies. Its way past time to get over this ridiculous hang up.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:50 PM

5,802 posts, read 15,481,875 times
Back in the dark ages every ladies room had an anteroom or lounge - a room that you'd go through to get to the bathroom stalls. It was furnished with comfortable couches, chairs, and tables. It was a private, comfortable place to nurse a baby...or to smoke a cigarette! As a little girl, I remember seeing both happening in the same room when we'd go to a department store.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 AM

4,936 posts, read 2,563,814 times
For me, I found it a private moment, so I covered or found a quiet spot in private.

Actually Southlander it is becoming more common to find quiet Mothers' rooms.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:14 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,062,520 times
i never covered, but once baby was latched, I pulled my shirt down to about a half inch above the baby's mouth most of the time. We live in Florida and nobody is going to eat with a blanket on their head.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:26 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,967,152 times
The only time anyone should get a second glance is if they're fishing for a news story or some attention. Normal breastfeeding, with or without a cover, shouldn't cause any alarm for the normal, average person. I'm not offended by breastfeeding either, but even I would probably give a strange look to someone who was sitting there completely topless, or their breast just hanging out with no baby attached or even trying to latch. I've only seen those types in the media, which is where they want to be anyway. Mothers who just want to feed their babies, not get attention, are quite capable of doing just that and no blanket or cover is required.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,848,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'm not offended if a woman is breastfeeding her baby and is not covered. But, I'm curious as to why she doesn't want to cover up? I realize it's a woman's right to do it however she wishes. I'm only interested in why one way is chosen over another. If you breastfed, would you mind telling your views?
I not only covered up, but even covered up would not nurse in a public place. I would have been much too embarrassed. However, that meant I basically couldn't leave my house for 6 months, except for very short time periods, (like 30 minutes). I also found it impossible to breastfeed in any of the contraptions that claim to cover you completely. It's not as easy as you think when they are very little. I was only able to nurse in one very specific position involving two pillows and a particular chair and had to get the baby just right or the whole thing fell apart in screaming. It was so awkward and embarrassing that I would not even have done it in front of my husband had I not simply been absolutely too exhausted to care. So women who are able to get past the idea of showing a boob in public, and who are able to nurse in a somewhat discreet way, are really kind of lucky. And if they are not covered up much, then I would say the baby probably just won't nurse that way or it's too difficult, and they would rather sacrifice a little modesty than not leave the house, ever.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
The only time anyone should get a second glance is if they're fishing for a news story or some attention. Normal breastfeeding, with or without a cover, shouldn't cause any alarm for the normal, average person. I'm not offended by breastfeeding either, but even I would probably give a strange look to someone who was sitting there completely topless, or their breast just hanging out with no baby attached or even trying to latch. I've only seen those types in the media, which is where they want to be anyway. Mothers who just want to feed their babies, not get attention, are quite capable of doing just that and no blanket or cover is required.

My best friend breast fed her children without covering ever and she was quick and discrete about it. Sometimes you would be sitting having coffee with her and not realize she was doing it. But another friend who was political about it, sometimes she would have both boobs out for an extended period of time while switching sides. Or she would be hanging out while her kid was doing other things waiting for the kid to come back. It was silly. I wasn't uncomfortable but I know other people around her were.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'm not offended if a woman is breastfeeding her baby and is not covered. But, I'm curious as to why she doesn't want to cover up? I realize it's a woman's right to do it however she wishes. I'm only interested in why one way is chosen over another. If you breastfed, would you mind telling your views?

My daughter breastfed and she always covered up, if she wasn't alone with just her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or