U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Urinals were the last thing I was expecting to see. Believe me.

I'm a mom of 2 and breastfed both my kids though I never did it in public. I don't have a problem with mom's BFing their babies in public. It's when they get older like 18 months and up where I think they should do it in private. I think it's harder to be discreet when the kids are that old.

I was pregnant with my first child and my husband and I were out to eat at a Japanese steak house. We were facing the other tables. A child of about 5 (or he was just very big for his age) lifted up his mom's shirt and started to eat. She didn't really pay him any mind and went right along eating. It was the most uncomfortable thing ever....for everyone in the room.
I'll totally give it to you on this. And maybe it isn't right...maybe it's ridiculous hang ups on my part. I am super comfy with people breastfeeding. I traveled with a good friend while she had a baby. We often shared a sleeping space and she fed through the night (baby between us) and I openly cooed, smiled at the baby. Talked with mom. And she wasn't being modest. It didn't matter. I had a friend who had twins...very hungry twins. She didn't wear a shirt for 3 months. When I went over, she actually answered the door with her shirt off. I dint bat a lash. I've seen tons of friends nurse their kids. I really don't care. I grew up around it.

But...extended breastfeeding. I'll say, it does freak me out some. When a kid is old enough and unfasten their moms bra...yes. It freaks me out. I wasn't taught it was wrong. I have seen it my entire life. But something about it...it is uncomfortable.

But I'll own that for now.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:35 PM

912 posts, read 592,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I'll totally give it to you on this. And maybe it isn't right...maybe it's ridiculous hang ups on my part. I am super comfy with people breastfeeding. I traveled with a good friend while she had a baby. We often shared a sleeping space and she fed through the night (baby between us) and I openly cooed, smiled at the baby. Talked with mom. And she wasn't being modest. It didn't matter. I had a friend who had twins...very hungry twins. She didn't wear a shirt for 3 months. When I went over, she actually answered the door with her shirt off. I dint bat a lash. I've seen tons of friends nurse their kids. I really don't care. I grew up around it.

But...extended breastfeeding. I'll say, it does freak me out some. When a kid is old enough and unfasten their moms bra...yes. It freaks me out. I wasn't taught it was wrong. I have seen it my entire life. But something about it...it is uncomfortable.

But I'll own that for now.
I agree. My guess is the level of discomfort is because the act is surpassing the natural need. Think about if another animal nursed beyond the usual duration. One would wonder if something were wrong. There's a normal duration for kittens and calves to nurse. The same is true for humans, whether mom wants to accept that or not.

Most people with even a mild understanding of child psychology would know all the reasons this is not always the healthiest option for a child. But that's another thread.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,661,517 times
My issue has never been cover or not, my problem is the way AMERICAN society views breasts and sexuality. If you see a woman nursing and all you can think about is her barely exposed breast, that's your problem. There is nothing sexual about breastfeeding.

But our country loves boobs, just watch what happens every October when the NFL turns pink to "save the tatas" No one ever says wear green to "Save the Ovaries".

Old 12-18-2015, 08:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
My issue has never been cover or not, my problem is the way AMERICAN society views breasts and sexuality. If you see a woman nursing and all you can think about is her barely exposed breast, that's your problem. There is nothing sexual about breastfeeding.

But our country loves boobs, just watch what happens every October when the NFL turns pink to "save the tatas" No one ever says wear green to "Save the Ovaries".
Ok so no one sees the nursing breast as sexual. So then what is the problem?

I swear it's because men and even women don't want to see the breast in a non sexual way. In that case, it isn't the mothers problem, it's the viewers problem.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,960,621 times
I am as lecherous as the next guy, but I must say that once you have a child and watch your wife feeding him, you realize what a beautiful and natural act it is. And, it's GREAT for the baby. I have zero problems with public breast feeding, covered or not.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:32 PM

6,896 posts, read 4,223,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That^^. I breastfed my son, and never openly exposed my boob but never had to cover his face either. I mean, you would have had to have been really up close, to see anything. It's isn't rocket science. I think most women these days that pop the boobs out, just want the attention, frankly.
I've never seen a woman disrobe or pop her boob out for ****s and giggles, and I've nursed in several states and attended a few nurse-ins. Some new moms might fumble a bit while breastfeeding is still new and they're getting the hang of things, but just whip out the boob for attention? Nah. I call bull**** on these stories. People tell stories, exaggerate or makeup these things up to validate their cognitive biases and personal hangups. It furthers the stigma and taboo that exists. I live in the most progressive area of the U.S. and do not see any of this deliberate "indecency." Breastfeeding rates are highest on the West Coast, which is known for having a niche culture, crunchy or "hippie" culture, so it stands to reason this behavior, boob-flashing, would be more prominent where there are a higher number of breastfeeding mothers and a more progressive attitude.

In contrast, breastfeeding rates are lower in Southern and Midwestern states, so the lower numbers, which can translate to a more conservative, modest attitude, does not lend well to boob-flashing, either for attention or just not caring. People in these areas do care how NIP is perceived due the cultural stigma, which is not the same case where breastfeeding is more common and acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think people need to get over the idea that the breast is a sex organ and let the mothers get on with nourishing their babies, covered or not, according to the baby's comfort without thinking they are offending anyone. They contain the mammary glands for that specific reason
Pssh. Breasts are for selling beer, burgers, lingerie and bikinis. That's the only time boobage should be displayed. Oh, and on billboards, magazine covers at checkout lines and window displays in malls.

It isn't really about breasts, or what little can be seen, because we live in a culture where breasts are assets for selling merchandise. Breasts are hyper-sexualized, to the point that the idea of a woman feeding a baby with her beer-sellers makes many uncomfortable.

I've never had anyone, man or woman, try to tell me to cover up when I wore a bikini top or wore a low-ish cut top that showed cleavage. Ever. So I call bull**** on the boob police and their misplaced sense of respect for other people's unease with breasts being used for their physiological purpose. As soon as I see said boob police lambasting beach-goers in their bikinis and/or women in a LBD, then I'll give a damn about their delicate sensibilities.

Oh wait, no I won't, because their hangups aren't my problem.

Oh, and please do complain to Victoria's Secret about the outrageous amount of boobage displayed in their window posters. And those sexy Carl's Jr. ads.

Last edited by Metaphysique; 12-18-2015 at 09:55 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 PM

6,896 posts, read 4,223,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I am as lecherous as the next guy, but I must say that once you have a child and watch your wife feeding him, you realize what a beautiful and natural act it is. And, it's GREAT for the baby. I have zero problems with public breast feeding, covered or not.
Stop making sense.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:28 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I agree. My guess is the level of discomfort is because the act is surpassing the natural need. Think about if another animal nursed beyond the usual duration. One would wonder if something were wrong. There's a normal duration for kittens and calves to nurse. The same is true for humans, whether mom wants to accept that or not.

Most people with even a mild understanding of child psychology would know all the reasons this is not always the healthiest option for a child. But that's another thread.
There is a normal duration for humans to nurse - 5 years old is at the high end but its still within the normal duration range (although we don't know that the child was 5, could have been big for his age as the poster mentioned, I knew a 3 year old who was as big as a 6 year old!)

Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,062,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post

The natural duration of nursing in humans is between two and seven years.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:02 AM

5,077 posts, read 6,227,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Why do some women act like you can't feed your baby while NOT showing your breasts AND not covering the baby. I breastfed publicly and my breasts were not exposed and I did not cover my baby. Okay -maybe 5-10% was. All you have to do is pull your shirt down about an inch shy of the nipple. It's not hard.

Do women have the right to breastfeed in public? Of course they do but show some respect for others who do not want to see the whole boob or want their teenage sons, husbands, etc. to.

Honestly, why is it so hard to understand?

"Natural" is not a logical argument. Being naked is natural. But I do not want to eat with naked people.
Why aren't your husband and son mature enough to handle seeing breasts? Why not take that opportunity to teach your sons that it's natural and that breasts are not sexual or made for their enjoyment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or