U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 09:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,235,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Nope. Saw it, and still don't think it's a big deal. Is her areola showing? Why are you so sensitive about boobage when a baby is attached to it? It's a boob. So what. You chose this woman as an example of "Look! This is unacceptable! Women who NIP do it for attention!" Uh, no. This is erroneous, because the vast majority of breastfeeding mothers, especially in areas where stigma and taboo exists to a greater degree, are discreet. Your small sample does nothing to "prove" this is some epidemic.
I actually agree with this.

Quote:

But this and, say, VS and Cosmo covers displaying the same amount of breasts sans areola are unoffensive. Logical inconsistency. Either you're offended by breasts being displayed in all manners or you're just bothered by seeing them being used for their physiological purpose.

And this second link is how I breastfeed in public, but I don't really care, am not offended, by boob in any manner.
I agree with this. Bottom line, I like the way you express this issue.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:44 AM

598 posts, read 476,256 times
Quote:
Nope. Saw it, and still don't think it's a big deal. Is her areola showing? Why are you so sensitive about boobage when a baby is attached to it? It's a boob. So what. You chose this woman as an example of "Look! This is unacceptable! Women who NIP do it for attention!" Uh, no. This is erroneous, because the vast majority of breastfeeding mothers, especially in areas where stigma and taboo exists to a greater degree, are discreet. Your small sample does nothing to "prove" this is some epidemic.

But this and, say, VS and Cosmo covers displaying the same amount of breasts sans areola are unoffensive. Logical inconsistency. Either you're offended by breasts being displayed in all manners or you're just bothered by seeing them being used for their physiological purpose.

And this second link is how I breastfeed in public, but I don't really care, am not offended, by boob in any manner.
What? You just stated in an earlier post that you have NEVER seen it done and basically called people liars for saying that they have seen it done.

Btw, I agree - the majority of women do breastfeed like pic#2 in public and if people have a problem with that then I am in your camp - they need to get over it. What I don't understand is how people think it is too much to ask breastfeeding women to be aware that there are other people who might not be comfortable with whole boobage. That, I guess, is my point. I am 100% comfortable with boobs. They don't offend me. I personal could give 2 sh*ts about it. However, at the same time, I understand that some others are not and will be respectful of them (up to a certain point - namely, not expose my entire breast to feed).

Last edited by Jayerdu; 12-19-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 AM

6,923 posts, read 4,232,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Two totally different things. There is no need to just sit around in public with your breasts exposed. THere is a need to actually feed your baby.
Don't you know that women who breastfeed in public do so by taking off their shirt, baring breasts in all their magnificent glory?

Yep. Totally how I do it. That's why there's nursing bras, tank tops, camisoles and shirts. So women can disrobe from the waist up.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:48 AM

23,926 posts, read 31,151,810 times
Quote:
I've never seen a woman disrobe or pop her boob out for ****s and giggles, and I've nursed in several states and attended a few nurse-ins. Some new moms might fumble a bit while breastfeeding is still new and they're getting the hang of things, but just whip out the boob for attention? Nah. I call bull**** on these stories. People tell stories, exaggerate or makeup these things up to validate their cognitive biases and personal hangups. It furthers the stigma and taboo that exists. I live in the most progressive area of the U.S. and do not see any of this deliberate "indecency." Breastfeeding rates are highest on the West Coast, which is known for having a niche culture, crunchy or "hippie" culture, so it stands to reason this behavior, boob-flashing, would be more prominent where there are a higher number of breastfeeding mothers and a more progressive attitude.

The ones that are flashed all over the media are the ones I an referring to. Honestly I don't see women popping boobs out in public to breastfeed, where I am. They certainly do breastfeed in public, but they are doing it using some common sense. I don't know what "stories" you are referring to, but I am talking about the media blitz.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
What? You just stated in an earlier post that you have NEVER seen it done and basically called people liars for saying that they have seen it done.
I've never seen a woman bare her breasts by taking off her shirt, as claimed here, or deliberately bared her breast, areola and all, for ****s and giggles. Some women breastfeed under the shirt, through a nursing bra/tank, and some over. So what. If you have a problem, divert your eyes. I have a feeling that if a boob popped out of a swimsuit you wouldn't throw a conniption. As long as it was on a nice-looking body, of course.

And I absolutely call bull**** on the stories claiming this "indecent" breastfeeding is done with a great amount of frequency as if it's some epidemic. That's just laughable. The occasional story does not an epidemic make. I see no more areola in over-the-shirt breastfeeding than I do when I go to the beach, pool or a night out where I see women dolled up in LBDs.

Just as it's laughable when people use stories of mothers breastfeeding their 6, 7 and 8 year old to shame and lambaste "extended-breastfeeding." So many logical fallacies. Considering breastfeeding beyond a year is not terribly common, and breastfeeding is still taboo, the majority of moms in Western culture are not breastfeeding past a year, least of all into grade school ages. The majority of mothers I know who have or do breastfeed beyond a year have a personal cut off between 2-3 years. I know many who breastfed/feed into the third year, but it is NOT common at all.

Last edited by Metaphysique; 12-19-2015 at 09:58 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
That woman is a perfect example of an attention-seeking nitwit. Pretty sure I would get up and walk out of she pulled that stunt in a restaurant where I was. And yeah, I know that would have been her goal. I have never seen ANYONE do this when breastfeeding. It's just absurd.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Why aren't your husband and son mature enough to handle seeing breasts? Why not take that opportunity to teach your sons that it's natural and that breasts are not sexual or made for their enjoyment?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Men are laughing everywhere.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:05 AM

598 posts, read 476,256 times
Quote:
I've never seen a woman bare her breasts by taking off her shirt, as claimed here, or deliberately bared her breast, areola and all, for ****s and giggles. Some women breastfeed under the shirt, through a nursing bra/tank, and some over. So what. If you have a problem, divert your eyes. I have a feeling that if a boob popped out of a swimsuit you wouldn't throw a conniption. As long as it was on a nice-looking body, of course.

And I absolutely call bull**** on the stories claiming this "indecent" breastfeeding is done with a great amount of frequency as if it's some epidemic. That's just laughable. The occasional story does not an epidemic make. I see no more areola in over-the-shirt breastfeeding than I do when I go to the beach, pool or a night out where I see women dolled up in LBDs.

Just as it's laughable when people use stories of mothers breastfeeding their 6, 7 and 8 year old to shame and lambaste "extended-breastfeeding." So many logical fallacies. Considering breastfeeding beyond a year is not terribly common, and breastfeeding is still taboo, the majority of moms in Western culture are not breastfeeding past a year, least of all into grade school ages. The majority of mothers I know who have or do breastfeed beyond a year have a personal cut off between 2-3 years. I know many who breastfed/feed into the third year, but it is NOT common at all.
Who said it was an epidemic? I said it happens more than you think. And since you think it never happens, then...do the math. Have I ever seen it happen? Yes. Twice. Did I personally care? No. But if someone did care, I could understand why they might feel that way.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That woman is a perfect example of an attention-seeking nitwit. Pretty sure I would get up and walk out of she pulled that stunt in a restaurant where I was. And yeah, I know that would have been her goal. I have never seen ANYONE do this when breastfeeding. It's just absurd.
I understand. I don't really like this form of "advocacy." I see it more with some new mothers trying to make a point and are all gung-ho and passionate about advocacy and normalizing breastfeeding, but I don't think making it public, posting about it on social media, is the way to do it. Why draw more attention to yourself?

But I say that as someone who doesn't like unnecessary attention and prefer to advocate and support in other ways. I can't be bothered with covers and all that, and I don't feel it's my duty to protect other people's sensibilities when they're often logically inconsistent. But I am discreet when I breastfeed in public. Her head and my shirt cover whatever could be seen. Less is seen when I breastfeed than certain clothing and bathing suits. I don't even take off my shirt or any of that when I'm in the comfort of my home.

I see these social media posts and complaints as if this is the norm. It's not. I've never seen it in person. Just like I don't know anyone who breastfeeds their 6, 7, 8+ year old. I know one woman who nursed one of her son's for 4.5 years, and another her daughter to 5 years. I'm not bothered by that, either. *shrug* My comfort level is 3, and in my circle 2-3 is about right. Outside that circle most don't nurse beyond a year, or 6 months.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Who said it was an epidemic? I said it happens more than you think. And since you think it never happens, then...do the math. Have I ever seen it happen? Yes. Twice. Did I personally care? No. But if someone did care, I could understand why they might feel that way.
And I can understand why they'd be bothered by women in bikinis, beer ads, lingerie ads, magazine covers, bars, night clubs. Oh, wait, they're not. No one's throwing a conniption about these displays of what is "top boob." Are they bothered by side boob, too? Not enough to go covering women with blankets or telling them to change clothes. Certainly not enough to lament about it on social media and message boards. "Oh my bob, guys. I saw this woman at the pool. She had a rockin' bod and her boob popped out. I was SOOOO offended." or "Y'all, I was at a nice restaurant last night and a woman came in with this tight black dress and had so much cleavage showing that I was bothered and annoyed."

I'm waiting to see that post. I really can't care enough about people's sensibilities when they're glaringly inconsistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or