Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:39 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

This debate is worthless. The number of women who intentionally "whip it out" are miniscule. And yes, I know of course some of the loudmouths here know that teeny percentage, fact remains they are few and far between.

Most moms are just trying to feed their baby. End of story. Here's a hint for the mortally offended, it's not about you so quit staring, MYOB, and release the pearls gently.

Breastfeeding moms deserve privacy, even in a crowd - latimes

Old 12-19-2015, 10:47 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This debate is worthless. The number of women who intentionally "whip it out" are miniscule. And yes, I know of course some of the loudmouths here know that teeny percentage, fact remains they are few and far between.

Most moms are just trying to feed their baby. End of story. Here's a hint for the mortally offended, it's not about you so quit staring, MYOB, and release the pearls gently.

Breastfeeding moms deserve privacy, even in a crowd - latimes

Top boob is offensive!!!!!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:05 AM

634 posts, read 708,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
And I can understand why they'd be bothered by women in bikinis, beer ads, lingerie ads, magazine covers, bars, night clubs. Oh, wait, they're not. No one's throwing a conniption about these displays of what is "top boob." Are they bothered by side boob, too? Not enough to go covering women with blankets or telling them to change clothes. Certainly not enough to lament about it on social media and message boards. "Oh my bob, guys. I saw this woman at the pool. She had a rockin' bod and her boob popped out. I was SOOOO offended." or "Y'all, I was at a nice restaurant last night and a woman came in with this tight black dress and had so much cleavage showing that I was bothered and annoyed."

I'm waiting to see that post. I really can't care enough about people's sensibilities when they're glaringly inconsistent.

Well, after all this, it sounds like we agree more than disagree. I think our different environments and hence our points of view are making it seem like we are not. I completely agree with the double standard.

As rare as the "crazy boob breastfeeding mom" is in your world, is the rare "crazy complaining anti-breastfeeding in public person" is in my world. Just like you, except in the media or some form of social media, IRL, I never see people complaining about public breastfeeding. And maybe it is because of my environment (I spend most of my time with other moms). I live in a very profamily suburb of Dallas that is very child centered and public breastfeeding is just not a big deal. Also, because of the area I live in, all the things you listed above that you claim people don't complain about, they do here - which btw, I also disagree with. Just last year, a big deal was made by a few parents of the local HS cross country team running through our neighborhood wearing skimpy outfits which IMO was absurd.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Well, after all this, it sounds like we agree more than disagree. I think our different environments and hence our points of view are making it seem like we are not. I completely agree with the double standard.

As rare as the "crazy boob breastfeeding mom" is in your world, is the rare "crazy complaining anti-breastfeeding in public person" is in my world. Just like you, except in the media or some form of social media, IRL, I never see people complaining about public breastfeeding. And maybe it is because of my environment (I spend most of my time with other moms). I live in a very profamily suburb of Dallas that is very child centered and public breastfeeding is just not a big deal. Also, because of the area I live in, all the things you listed above that you claim people don't complain about, they do here - which btw, I also disagree with. Just last year, a big deal was made by a few parents of the local HS cross country team running through our neighborhood wearing skimpy outfits which IMO was absurd.
I don't think either are as common as they are sometimes made out to be. I've never had anyone make a comment to me when I've breastfed in public, and if people were giving me death stares, I simply didn't notice. I also think it's a regional, generational and cultural. Negative attitudes are more common in some areas than in others (small town or rural South, Midwest or other conservative areas).

The opposition often stems from puritanical hangups or men who can't or refuse to divorce themselves from breasts being purely sexual, rather than serving a physiological purpose. I doubt the men complaining about top boob of breastfeeding mothers are complaining about top or side boob in other situations. They'd probably have no problem stealing glances at said boobage. But when a baby is attached to it, it's offensive and indecent. lololol I can't help but laugh at how silly that is.

"I only want to see top boob when it's a woman selling Carls Jr. burgers or in Superbowl ads."

Old 12-19-2015, 11:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I don't think either are as common as they are sometimes made out to be. I've never had anyone make a comment to me when I've breastfed in public, and if people were giving me death stares, I simply didn't notice.
It happened to me once in rural NH. In my own home state, never. My brother made a comment about my breastfeeding in public at my mother's house! I told him to stuff it. He stuffed it.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:08 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
I am, but it depends on how it's done and where it's done. If you whip it out and the whole breast is showing, I think you're just looking for attention. Or if you take a picture and post it social media, I also think you're looking for attention.

I didn't think it was appropriate for that lady who breastfed her child during graduation.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I think we should start a "whip it out" drinking game. As I have very seldom seen such a thing in the real world, at the very least we can have some fun with this phenomenon.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
several of my peers grew up to be militant breastfeeding advocates and did go out of their way to let it all hang out in places where people were uncomfortable. Posted pictures in mass of their boob up close (and some areole showing in several of them) on Facebook as some sort of protest.

They also judged moms who chose formula or pump and feed and often posted about how their babies were going to be healthier, smarter, have more super powers then formula fed babies.

There are a handful of women out there like that. They make the average breastfeeding mom look bad.

My kids are adopted so breast feeding was off the table. I was very offended by those people. They also took the WHO's 2 year of breast feeding way out of context. Well, my Facebook page got a lot lighter when I got fed up with them.

Women like this do exisit. They are the minority, but they are the most vocal.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I am, but it depends on how it's done and where it's done. If you whip it out and the whole breast is showing, I think you're just looking for attention. Or if you take a picture and post it social media, I also think you're looking for attention.

I didn't think it was appropriate for that lady who breastfed her child during graduation.
So the baby should go hungry until the graduation was over?

I don't really mind that photo. It's a little silly but it's not showing more then a lot of bikini tops and she doesn't have to flash the nipple like you would if you take it alllll the way out.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:59 PM

There is nothing "out of context" about the recommendation to breastfeed to two years or as long as mutually desired by both. Data is data, and the research is quite clear. No, I don't think human milk is some magical elixir that is a cure-all, but its benefits are well established. It's a biological standard. All mammals benefit from the milk of their mother, from its own species. If it's "okay" for children or people to drink cow's milk, milk from another species, then it should be beneficial, more so, for human consumption. And it is.

Just because it makes you, generally speaking, uncomfortable, does not mean the data is inconclusive or wrong. It's not. No one is arguing cat's milk is better for dogs than dog's milk. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting