Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,856 times

Advertisements

My 22 year old brother for more then 10 years has been nothing but a leach in the family, he's stolen hundreds of dollars from my mom, has stolen money from everyone in the house (including my little sister who is now 9, he stole out of her little wallet/piggy bank) He's punched a hole in the ceiling a couple years back, has physically pushed my mom before. My mom supports me, my brother, my little sister and herself all alone, my oldest brother is in another state and sends what money he can but he's struggling with his own money problems. My 22 year old brother has anger issues so I'm always afraid to confront him about something that might anger him, my mom has told him to move out multiple times and he's refused. We were recently in a situation where if he didn't help us we could have lost out house and when we asked for him to help he said "I dont want to clean, I dont care if we get kicked out I can just goto my friends house and say ********* guys" so he has obviously displayed that he doesn't care if we were kicked onto the streets. Both me and my mom would like him out of the house, I am 7 months pregnant and dont want him anywhere near my son. I know we can call the cops to have him forcibly removed but is there a way that we can have him forcibly removed but also have them take him somewhere so that he cannot come back to the house and hurt us or damage the house? While talking to my mom about kicking him out she told me she is afraid that he will punch or stab her if he comes back after being removed and she also does not want my little sister to go through the kind of trama he may cause if he comes back and tries harming us of damaging the house so I'm wondering if there's a way to get him forcibly removed and maybe locked up aswell or put in some kind of program he can't escape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
If you had him forcibly removed for fear of your life, you would put a restraining order on him so he cannot come within X feet of you and anyone named and any address listed in the restraining order. If he breaks the restraining order by coming into the house or going up to you at the grocery store, he would be thrown in jail.

By the way, if he's only 22, he hasn't been a leach for 10 years. When he's under 18 he's still a minor and it's the responsibility of the parent to take care of said minor. If you think he should have started contributing at age 18, he's only been a leach for 4 years.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,856 times
The reason I said he was a leach for 10 years is because he'd keep stealing money from my mom. So then a restraining order is the only way? Thank you for your help.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeezyPie101 View Post
The reason I said he was a leach for 10 years is because he'd keep stealing money from my mom. So then a restraining order is the only way? Thank you for your help.
A restraining order, and change the locks and leave his stuff on the curb in front of the house, or make arrangements to leave it with one of his friends or have one of his friends pick it up and hold if for him. Ask for increased police patrols while this is going on, and for several weeks later, and keep all porch and outdoor lights on at night, and windows and doors locked at all times. Let the neighbors know your brother has been kicked out and is not supposed to come back.

Can your other brother come home for a little while if your mother chooses this route, to provide back-up and protection?

Did your problem brother receive any kind of punishment and/or counseling when he started stealing at age 12?

Old 12-19-2015, 01:45 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
You live with your mom and you are 7 months pregnant? Sounds like there is more than one leech here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting