U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:10 PM

536 posts, read 525,465 times

Advertisements

Portable speakers, cheap ones from the drugstore, were a big hit with our 9 and 13 yo sons last year (although showers now seem to take a lot longer!). Temporary tattoos were fun too, and stick on decals for walls or windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:43 PM

5,125 posts, read 3,636,143 times
Theater tickets
a set of markers
binoculars for the little one
a fun family game: Yahtzee

Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 PM

4,547 posts, read 2,772,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Thankfully, we've had an easy year for Christmas gift ideas. But now I've hit a creative block in coming up with stocking stuffers. Could use some suggestions for boys and girls ages 3 to 13. I'd really appreciate specific, interesting things Interests include Legos, nature, art, Science, reading...
Dollar store...They do have stuff that's not dangerous....

Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,397,610 times
Seriously, this is great stuff guys!! Y'all don't disappoint!

Thanks to your super-helpful posts, today I either physically purchased, or ordered online: book lights, gum, candy canes, beauty products (nail polish, lip gloss, deodorant--ahh, puberty!) special soaps, cool markers/pens, figurines/play figures/plastic animals, specialty magazines (how to build a birdhouse ) slipper-socks, fun toothbrushes, doll clothes, bath toys, silly string, small microscope, small notebooks, card games (a version of uno, a pizza matching game, and math flash cards ) and some travel-sized mini-games/toys.

Phew! But such a relief to be almost done!! (Need to stack it up to see if the kids are basically even, and if the stockings will be filled )

Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 PM

9,666 posts, read 7,638,989 times
Classic, traditional stocking contents include an orange and a big red apple, polished to a high gloss, plus hard candy (Edinburgh rock, the kind with pictures through the middle), a long peppermint stick and nuts in the shell. My stocking during my growing-up years also always included a little stuffed animal peeking out of the top. Other small items - marbles, a rubber ball, other small toys - were included as well, but these items repeated, year after year. I grew up in the 1950s and '60s, but Santa has never ceased to fill my stocking with these things each year.

Edited to add that as I grew older - sixth grade and up - Santa would also provide a shiny silver dollar, usually an old one dating to the1890s. I still have a stack of them somewhere, and probably need to check their current worth, even though their history and sentimental value far outweighs any monetary value.

My mother later told me that oranges, apples, nuts, hard candy, and big peppermint sticks were always left in the stockings when she and her siblings were children, so this family tradition goes back well over 100 years now. Santa left oranges in my father's family's stockings, too - just about the only time they had oranges, which were a rare delicacy during his childhood, despite his family being financially somewhat better off than that of my mother (neither were poor, however). Santa also left various other small gifts in the stockings, in addition to the traditional apples, oranges, nuts, and candy.

I have read that the orange represents the bag of gold coins St. Nicholas is said to have tossed through the window and inadvertently into the just-washed stockings drying by the fire in the home of the poor girls upon whom he took pity. The apple and nuts probably have symbolic meanings as well, but I am unsure what they may be.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 12-18-2015 at 09:29 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 01:31 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Classic, traditional stocking contents include an orange and a big red apple, polished to a high gloss, plus hard candy (Edinburgh rock, the kind with pictures through the middle), a long peppermint stick and nuts in the shell. My stocking during my growing-up years also always included a little stuffed animal peeking out of the top. Other small items - marbles, a rubber ball, other small toys - were included as well, but these items repeated, year after year. I grew up in the 1950s and '60s, but Santa has never ceased to fill my stocking with these things each year.

Edited to add that as I grew older - sixth grade and up - Santa would also provide a shiny silver dollar, usually an old one dating to the1890s. I still have a stack of them somewhere, and probably need to check their current worth, even though their history and sentimental value far outweighs any monetary value.

My mother later told me that oranges, apples, nuts, hard candy, and big peppermint sticks were always left in the stockings when she and her siblings were children, so this family tradition goes back well over 100 years now. Santa left oranges in my father's family's stockings, too - just about the only time they had oranges, which were a rare delicacy during his childhood, despite his family being financially somewhat better off than that of my mother (neither were poor, however). Santa also left various other small gifts in the stockings, in addition to the traditional apples, oranges, nuts, and candy.

I have read that the orange represents the bag of gold coins St. Nicholas is said to have tossed through the window and inadvertently into the just-washed stockings drying by the fire in the home of the poor girls upon whom he took pity. The apple and nuts probably have symbolic meanings as well, but I am unsure what they may be.
We always got a piece of fruit in our stockings, although not an orange, it would be a 'fancy' fruit that we wouldn't normally have. Got a mango one year. Quite often we got persimmons.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:58 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,229,854 times
My parents always filled our stockings with one personal gift ( bracelet, ring, earrings, necklace) then it was always chocolate Santas, fruit, nuts, socks (Christmas) and depending on the age, crayons, coloring books, Legos, books to read, stuffed animals or dolls.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:19 AM

1,945 posts, read 2,115,639 times
My daughter mentioned she liked scented pencils so I bought her some from Barnes and Nobles and a small Minecrap stuffed animal-That's all she is getting in her stocking. When she was younger I would put hair bands, and cheap toys from party supply stores.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:22 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,848,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Thankfully, we've had an easy year for Christmas gift ideas. But now I've hit a creative block in coming up with stocking stuffers. Could use some suggestions for boys and girls ages 3 to 13. I'd really appreciate specific, interesting things Interests include Legos, nature, art, Science, reading...
I have: hotwheels cars, stretchy lizards (5 bucks on amazon), slinky, tiny minecraft toys. I think party favor type toys are great - kids actually play with those little things.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 PM

483 posts, read 419,306 times
Just don't be like my mom one year. We got(and still do) lots of candy one year, but it was actually cold and the fire place was lite...yep, it ALL melted.
Oh it was spectacular.

I know Shopkins are very popular right now, beanie babies, packs of playing cards(Magic, Pokemon etc), glow sticks.

Michaels has a dollar bin section like target, they have crafts stuff that older kids would probably like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting