U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:08 PM

5,088 posts, read 6,242,520 times

Advertisements

You asked someone who was basically a stranger if you could hold her baby. That is just weird and creepy. I would have told you, "No," too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 02:41 PM

15,871 posts, read 13,463,604 times
You are 6 weeks pregnant, (meaning you conceived just a few weeks ago) but there is no partner in the picture?

Whether or not you let people hold the baby is immaterial and the least of your problems. How do you intend to support yourselves and manage day-to-day? Do you imagine everything will just fall into place?

You have a lot to do to prepare, starting with getting legal advice on custody and support. Get your ducks in a row now, you won't have time later.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:45 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,788,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCBLUE View Post
I'm 22 and 6 weeks pregnant with my 1st child so I may not know what I'm talking about yet...
You are right about that.

Hopefully you are a quick learner.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:51 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,149,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are 6 weeks pregnant, (meaning you conceived just a few weeks ago) but there is no partner in the picture?
I missed that part. Maybe the OP was absent the day the pastor preached on 1 Corinthians 6:18. In any case, she's got a lot of prep work ahead of her before she gives birth. Good luck to you, OP. You've got a lot of stuff heading your way.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:54 PM

1,937 posts, read 1,164,620 times
Not letting strangers (or mere acquaintances) hold a baby is not going to stunt the baby's social or emotional growth...

I always thought it was odd when people wanted to hold my babies. Would people come up and ask, "Can I sit your son on my lap for a while?" when he is 3 or 4? Creeeepy.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:42 PM

14,337 posts, read 20,592,632 times
Your kid will be social or not. It has little to do with you 'socializing' him/her when they are younger. I have two children, both the exact upbringing. My son around the age of four decided he didn't like talking to people he didn't know and didn't like going to parties.

My daughter on the other hand is a social butterfly. She would walk up to someone at the same age and introduce herself and make a new best friend. She is still the same almost a decade later.

You'll realize once you have your child that they are their own person. You can influence them greatly, however they are their own person.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,857,380 times
Thank god no acquaintance was ever rude enough to ask me to hold my child. Don't do that anymore.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:03 PM

16,506 posts, read 15,977,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It doesn't have to be about her being controlling or making her baby fearful of strangers.

She was busy and didn't need the distraction of watching you hold her baby. If the baby was lying there peacefully, she probably didn't want to risk him getting upset in the transition while she was changing and right before he was supposed to be in a play.

You asked, "Do you mind ... ?" And she answered honestly. Why extrapolate it into a whole rant about coddled children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Also remember that at 7 month old babies have only had 1 or 2 rounds of shots, and no complete series yet. They are still susceptible to illnesses that many adults have NOT had their boosters for, like whooping cough. Daycare providers are required to get their boosters, so you're covered there. Random church strangers? Not so much. Much better to wait until after the 12 month old round of shots are complete.

Have you had all of your vaccine boosters in the last 10 years? No? Then please keep your hands to yourself with the itty bitty ones. Thank you so much.

When my first grandchild was born two years ago they told the parents that they should not let anyone hold the baby who had not had their whopping cough booster.

The danger to the baby was just too high.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:33 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times
New moms are not keen on letting people hold their babies. The baby is far too young to have a need to interact with other people. Baby steps. Moms let go a little at a time. That doesn't have to start until much later.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:22 PM

5,158 posts, read 3,658,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCBLUE View Post
To clarify, I didn't mean selfish as in selfish towards the person wanting to hold your baby, I meant selfish as in teaching your child to be afraid of everything/one. For instance, my mom always talks about how I was afraid of bubble gum as a toddler. So what did she do? She blew bubbles and let me pop them. At first of course I flipped, but after a few times I got used to it and stopped fearing something so irrational. Just like when I worked as a character mascot, the kids who's parents validated their fear of the giant monkey remained afraid. The one's who were brought up to me got over it pretty quickly.

PS The church lady was just an example of a bigger issue.
The ONLY thing I would worry about is that this time of year is bad for germs. Having a sick baby is NO fun at all. Besides the worry, most babies don't sleep well as it is during the night and a sick baby is even worse.

She kind of knows you so I can't see why she'd be afraid of you holding her baby in a room full of people, but she doesn't know if you have been around someone with cold germs or a virus, etc.

MY father in law used to kiss our sons on the lips when they were babies. I just cringed inside, but didn't say anything. He worked in a plant full of over 1000 people, which to me, meant lots of germs being passed around.
My husband and I didn't even kiss our kids on the lips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or