U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 AM

19 posts, read 33,953 times

Advertisements

Do their future wife or husband a favor and kick them out to teach them two great life lessons early:

A - there is conquences to action
B - Independence

Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,351 times
maybe you shouldn't have had kids in the first place. and since you did, you might want to make sure that they're able to survive on their own. you might want to think about something like parental responsbility.

i think you owe that much to your kids.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,891 times
What if the 18 year old is in High School Still and only has 6 months left before graduation? Female in Alabama, Parents kicked her out with nowhere to go, she is a good kid, and they kicked her out with no money, no transportation nothing, I am currently trying to help her but is this legal for her parents to do this? Shouldn't they have to wait till she finishes high school? She has Adhd and is immature she is not responsible enough to be on her own.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8577 View Post
What if the 18 year old is in High School Still and only has 6 months left before graduation? Female in Alabama, Parents kicked her out with nowhere to go, she is a good kid, and they kicked her out with no money, no transportation nothing, I am currently trying to help her but is this legal for her parents to do this? Shouldn't they have to wait till she finishes high school? She has Adhd and is immature she is not responsible enough to be on her own.
No, it is not legal in Alabama.

SupportGuidelines.com | Article: What Constitutes Emancipation to Release a Parent From a Child Support Obligation

Can she go through a legal aid office, or the school guidance office for help?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,451,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
That's a great thing to say about your daughter. Are you as kind with her as you act here? How about showing the girl some support? At least she's going to college.

Remember.. your children pick which nursing home you go into.
lmao

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM

535 posts, read 490,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Last summer I told my 18 year old that while I paid the bills and provided the house he had to live by my rules. If my rules were not acceptable to him then he knew where the door was. I also told him that I would not pay for college, or cell phone, or insurance on his car or health insurance or anything else if he wanted to move out. Guess who began to abide by the rules and is now a full time college student with terrific grades!

My general rule is: when they graduate from high school and they are no longer a full time student(in college) they must either move out or pay rent.

Is this before or after the reckless spending by the older generations wiped out our economy and future?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 PM

15,232 posts, read 23,770,707 times
Wow, I think it horrible that parents want to kick their kids out.

When I lived at home, after HS, I got a full time job gave my mom board money, "we though that was so mean", but it taught us responsibility.
We had no un-realistic rules.....

Same with my 3 sons, after HS they all had p/t jobs and went to college, I guess I was a very lucky parent, as I had no problems, I didn't make crazy rules for them either......I was a boy once, so I get it.....you still have to be reasonable for the day and age....what was good in 1960, would not apply today...

Fortunetely they all are graduates, and have full time jobs and are on their own, 2 single, 1 married......

so yup, I did a good job!!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 PM

15,232 posts, read 23,770,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
That's me too. I absolutely LOVE having my kids around. My youngest graduated from college in May and just found a job. He's been working hard on finding one but it's hard in this market. I am thrilled for him, but I also know that means he will soon be moving out and that makes me sad. He makes me laugh everyday that he's here. My dh and I have never enjoyed the ''empty nest'' thing. Our kids are great people who are we love spending time with.

I love it, I feel the same exact way !!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 AM

29,613 posts, read 31,931,623 times
I suppose I'd kick out my kids if they were jerks but fortunately they aren't. My youngest, who is 21 and will be with me for awhile longer, is the nicest guy ever and we get along really well. He has a lot going on here and a great peer group. My eldest moved out when she was 18 and left for college. It was for the best, but not because we didn't get along, but because she was extremely restless and didn't have much in common with the local kids she had grown up with. Basically, there was nothing for her here.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 AM

2,495 posts, read 3,451,050 times
Ive read most of the posts in this threadnd the general consensus is that you guys "will kick your children out" for xyz...so lets say you do follow through on this silly idea and then they get killed the next day...how do you recover from that?

Lets not forget that we the parents are responsible for instilling the qualities in said child(ren) to ensure they're equipped with the necessary skills required to survive in the real world. I do not have any experience dealing with teenagers (as a parent; my wife and I are new parents) but going based on how my parents raised me....they never (not even once) considered putting me out...and I was a wild child. Always into athletics...They fought tooth and nail to keep me focused on the things that will help me mature and prosper ....and til this day, I am very thankful and proud of them for that.

Giving up on our children after 18yrs is horrible imho. I will NEVER kick my child(ren) out. There are other ways of handling or getting them to act the way you want...and I believe someone already mentioned it...stop paying the cellphone bills, cut off the cable and phone service at home, take off the door from their bedroom, take their house & car keys away...let them know these are privileges given to well behaved children. We cant put them out and later expect them to care for us....thats just madness.

Sorry for my rant...but i'm still in shock from what ive read in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or