U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:36 AM

2,820 posts, read 3,066,220 times

Advertisements

Good news two people lost their job? Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:55 AM

19,428 posts, read 9,754,029 times
I thought this was a non school related trip. Generally teachers don't have access to school funds, so what school funds did they mis manage?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:34 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,503,366 times
This update sounds suspect.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,316,475 times
She did not get fired because of her mismanagement of the trip funds - that was just an indication of her lack of character. Long story short, we (parents) rejected her replacement chaperone - a 28 year old male she knew that was out of work, an old college friend of hers that does not live in the area .A couple parents did volunteer to go instead - and when they contacted the group that organizes the tours, that's when we found out that she had the cost for her trip and her husband's divided among all students going - something she left out -both initially and when she told the parent of the booster club in an email that she and her husband were "out" $5k for the trip.

She and her husband stole thousands of dollars from the school district throughout the year by fraudulently submitting meal claims on behalf of students. I only found out about it when they tried to get my son to sign a statement that he'd been given monies he hadn't been given - the school district reimburses $8/meal per student per day. For an example, the last trip they went on was a 8-10 hour trip to a competition. They were told to bring bagged lunches and they would stop for dinner on the way home but instead pulled up to a McDonalds and the teacher went inside and bought each of the 30 or so students 1 double cheeseburger.

For that day, she claims to have handed my son $16 in cash... do the math... 30 x 16 = $480 minus $35 or so for the burgers... and she and her husband chaperoned various kids on trips at least twice a month from September thru May.

Glad they're fired? Hell yeah. The drama and theater department will not be holding shows this fall - as all the funds allocated, including those raised by the kids and us parents in the booster club were sucked dry by these people. We'll try to raise the funds so the kids can do a performance in the spring, but the school district is not hiring a replacement for her for this coming school year.

PS The trip was all inclusive apparently, except for one meal a day and souvenirs. Included workshops and a couple Broadway shows, as well as all entrance fees, bus and subway transportation, bus driver, air fare, tour guide and hotel. Kids had a great time, though felt it was really jam packed and all want to take a more leisurely trip in the future

Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,663,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Glad they're fired? Hell yeah. The drama and theater department will not be holding shows this fall - as all the funds allocated, including those raised by the kids and us parents in the booster club were sucked dry by these people. We'll try to raise the funds so the kids can do a performance in the spring, but the school district is not hiring a replacement for her for this coming school year.
That's not right.

They willingly used students to help them defraud the school district, which also means the town.

They intended to defraud you on this trip as well.

Your children have done nothing wrong but ultimately it is them who have to shoulder the punishment?

Heck no. I'd be on the phone with the school district while also exploring my legal options.

If they ignore your attempts to discuss this I'd go to the news.

If all of this happened how you say it did, it's a huge problem and I'd let everyone know it.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:43 AM

I don't know all the details as they aren't being made public- the little I know for sure was from a member of the admin staff after I brought the statement my son was being asked to sign into the principal's office, to explain why he wouldn't be signing it. At that point, I was told it was being handled, and to please have patience. As I walked out, the staff member (also a parent of one of the kids from the trip) told me a bit more. But everything else is rumor.

They moved within days of the school year ending. That they were leaving was announced (via Facebook, by them) a couple hours after the senior's graduation ceremony. Lots of people discussing it, but the discussions are full of rumors. The district is closed down for a few weeks, but I hope we'll have answers when school starts back up. As part of the booster club, I knew she was a signer on our account, but I thought it required 2 signatures. So, I want more details about how she depleted our funds as well.

There is a lot more to the story. I am a parent who has always been very involved. Most teachers appreciate the extra help, but she was always brushing us off - insisting on handling it herself. I thought it was an indication of how dedicated she was. As I was busy with medical issues and had a couple surgeries this school year, I wasn't able to do much more than attend meetings, drop off some meals for the group to the school on late nights and work concessions a couple times. Other parents were more involved, but we were all taken by surprise by the level of what we missed.

(Added: Both of them graduated from high school one town over. Their families have been in the area for generations and this is a huge scandal here in a small town area where it seems everyone is related to each other some way or another. We're new, so probably don't hear half of it - just the parts that have directly affected my own children. My son said that on the trip another student told him one of the coaches was going to take over her classes. I don't know about the UIL stuff yet - though this year I'm physically better and might volunteer to help coach some of the kids)

Last edited by sskkc; 07-07-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 AM

39,141 posts, read 37,766,222 times
Quote:
I don't know all the details as they aren't being made public- the little I know for sure was from a member of the admin staff after I brought the statement my son was being asked to sign into the principal's office, to explain why he wouldn't be signing it. At that point, I was told it was being handled, and to please have patience. As I walked out, the staff member (also a parent of one of the kids from the trip) told me a bit more. But everything else is rumor.

They moved within days of the school year ending.
If this were true, they would be in jail. They committed embezzlement. They wouldn't just be allowed to move.

You parents need to be a little more ... angry about this. Someone needs to press charges.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If this were true, they would be in jail. They committed embezzlement. They wouldn't just be allowed to move.

You parents need to be a little more ... angry about this. Someone needs to press charges.
I don't know why you think parents aren't angry and that there are not charges being pressed. Your comment that they wouldn't be "allowed to move" is ridiculous. Or that "they would be in jail". It shows a real lack of understanding of our justice/legal system... TV is not real life.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,503,366 times
Quote:
I don't know why you think parents aren't angry and that there are not charges being pressed. Your comment that they wouldn't be "allowed to move" is ridiculous. Or that "they would be in jail". It shows a real lack of understanding of our justice/legal system... TV is not real life.
Our apartment manager embezzled (she told renters who paid in cash their rent increased and pocketed the money). It did take a year or two after she was found out for them to actually arrest her and press charges. Building the case I guess. And she moved out of the town we were in.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Our apartment manager embezzled (she told renters who paid in cash their rent increased and pocketed the money). It did take a year or two after she was found out for them to actually arrest her and press charges. Building the case I guess. And she moved out of the town we were in.
A friend of a friend of mine had the same thing happen to her. I remember her being so upset because the women just seemed to disappear and she didn't feel the cops were doing enough - but then 2 years later she was called to give an affidavit and be a witness.

And I recently was surprised to learn that a distant relative is in prison, awaiting trial for MURDER. I had heard that he was involved in a shooting, but that was a couple years ago or something. He moved in with my dad for a time after the shooting. I asked Dad how he was and learned he'd been arrested, "out of the blue". Took over a year for them to press charges and arrest him... and that's a first degree murder charge.

I tried googling his name to get details on the trial so I wouldn't have to upset Dad with my questions, but all I can find is an article about the shooting itself and a 2 paragraph notice that he'd been arrested and was awaiting trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting