U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2015, 01:31 AM
 
6,308 posts, read 4,765,469 times
Reputation: 8437

Advertisements

All of the staff members being of the same relatively rare (for your area) ethnic group also speaks to possible recruitment policy. Friends hire friends, who hire relatives, who hire friends etc. instead of looking for the best staff members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
4,928 posts, read 3,129,832 times
Reputation: 14825
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Another option is keeping him in the school he's at now (just part-time, half-days for now) and trying to hold off the move until he's ready to transition to kindergarten. I just thought moving later might be a lot to juggle for both my son and myself (moving, starting new job, then starting new school all in a tight turn around which seems like a lot of unneeded stress for his first exposure to school).
Actually, holding off the move until your son starts kindergarten would be LESS disruptive to him than moving now. If you stay where you are, your son stays in his current pre-school; then you move to Bethesda and he starts kindergarten. Total schools: 2.

Or, you move now. He moves from his current pre-school to a new pre-school; then starts kindergarten. Total schools: 3.

The counterargument would be if you can get him into a pre-school that feeds into the local elementary school. Then your son would move up with at least some of his friends to kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
4,928 posts, read 3,129,832 times
Reputation: 14825
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not addressing the ethnic makeup but the school closing policy.


OP, you're in Maryland, correct? Snow in this areas closes everything down, and it doesn't take much. Pre-K programs tend to run on the public school schedules, which include weather closings and dismissals.
That is not at all the case with the day care center (part of a national chain) that my kids used. They were open nearly every weekday. In fact, the only time I remember them closing was during the horrible winter of 2009-10, when we had three storms that each dropped two feet or more of snow.

You may be confusing Pre-K programs that operate within some public elementary schools (which do indeed follow the public school schedules) with privately run day care centers.

By the way, OP, you might as well prepare yourself now for being home with your son a lot, once he hits kindergarten. The public schools in Central Maryland are run by the most risk-adverse people I've ever seen; they'll close at the least little sign of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 591,973 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
That is not at all the case with the day care center (part of a national chain) that my kids used. They were open nearly every weekday. In fact, the only time I remember them closing was during the horrible winter of 2009-10, when we had three storms that each dropped two feet or more of snow.

You may be confusing Pre-K programs that operate within some public elementary schools (which do indeed follow the public school schedules) with privately run day care centers.

By the way, OP, you might as well prepare yourself now for being home with your son a lot, once he hits kindergarten. The public schools in Central Maryland are run by the most risk-adverse people I've ever seen; they'll close at the least little sign of snow.
Yeah, the school he's in now sounds like they rarely close for snow because they know people still need to go to work. Another reason I want to stay with this chain of schools, if I can. I just love everything about them.

I know. A stark cry from those Frostburg days. But in their defense, Frostburg does have twice the number of plows and a much smaller area to plow, so their roads were always spotless, probably because it just never stopped snowing so they were always running. In Baltimore, they have to be wise about their budget and small fleet of plows to not cost taxpayers money by calling in trucks then not needing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 591,973 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Actually, holding off the move until your son starts kindergarten would be LESS disruptive to him than moving now. If you stay where you are, your son stays in his current pre-school; then you move to Bethesda and he starts kindergarten. Total schools: 2.

Or, you move now. He moves from his current pre-school to a new pre-school; then starts kindergarten. Total schools: 3.

The counterargument would be if you can get him into a pre-school that feeds into the local elementary school. Then your son would move up with at least some of his friends to kindergarten.
That was my thought, getting him into a school with kids he'll move up into kindergarten with (I had several classmates I was in pre-k with that graduated high school with me). He's only been at this school since June and only part-time and only half-days since he still has a lot of therapy appts to work around. He's still young enough that part-time fits his needs (and gives mom a break to get to her own doctor appts). But in the next year or so, he'll be going full-time.

While it would be an adjustment, since it's a chain (if I can change where I'd live/work to keep him in this school since the others seem to be flops), the atmosphere would look similar and it's a standard curriculum across the schools, but he would need to get adjusted to new people. Although, my hope is that some of those children join him into kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 11:03 AM
 
1,936 posts, read 819,752 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I realize this is an unusual question, and please know that it is not a racist question. I am far from racist (I am Greek, my best friend is Asian, my ex-hb is black, and my son is half black), but I was struck by the feeling I got touring a particular pre-school. It took me a bit to put my finger on it, then I realized what it was: the entire staff, aside from the white director, was hispanic.

Now, keep in mind, this is not in SoCal where I used to live and in some areas whites are the minority and billboards are in Spanish. This was in Bethesda where the racial makeup is only 5.43% hispanic or latino.

Something the director said when I toured about their snow policy (which sounded excessive to me compared to our current school and others I've toured), is that they frequently close for even small amounts of snow "because their staff doesn't live in the immediate area and most have lengthy commutes" -- no mention of the kids, so another alert went up for me.

Then I got to thinking, especially given their lengthy commute, what are the odds that the *entire* staff, aside from the director, would be Hispanic? This is a fairly large pre-k, afterall. They have three classes just for the '2s' alone.

Would you be put off if the entire staff was one race? It doesn't seem to bother my cousin so her daughter goes there, and given it's ideal location (it really couldn't be any more convenient) and that his cousin goes there (they are 2 weeks apart so they'd possibly be in the same class), I'd love to consider this pre-school, however, as hard as I try, I can't seem to get past my hesitation about the lack of diversity in the staff.

I need to give someone a deposit to secure a spot for my son at a preschool (we LOVE our current school, but can't take it with us), but can't until I pick one. :|
Nah, no need to ask forgiveness , you were making the point that the racial makeup at the pre-k was troubling to you, then you thought about it more, so instead you thought it better to present it as a qst.
Ok, it appears you do actually know some other folks of different ethnic backgrounds. That is fine.

Now, it might be a good time to read and learn about the Hispanic population in the United States, their history and cultural values etc. , as you are doing your own little kid no favors in having a parent with obvious race based issues and prejudices, in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not addressing the ethnic makeup but the school closing policy.


OP, you're in Maryland, correct? Snow in this areas closes everything down, and it doesn't take much. Pre-K programs tend to run on the public school schedules, which include weather closings and dismissals.
You beat me to it, NBP! I love it when the national news talks about how DC comes to a stop with a couple inches of snow. They don't care about us out here in metro Denver unless our airport is closed and they can't get here to go skiing, LOL!

My experience with pre-Ks is that they are even more likely than public schools to close, have late start, early dismissal, etc d/t snow. Safety of the kids is a factor as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 591,973 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Nah, no need to ask forgiveness , you were making the point that the racial makeup at the pre-k was troubling to you, then you thought about it more, so instead you thought it better to present it as a qst.
Ok, it appears you do actually know some other folks of different ethnic backgrounds. That is fine.

Now, it might be a good time to read and learn about the Hispanic population in the United States, their history and cultural values etc. , as you are doing your own little kid no favors in having a parent with obvious race based issues and prejudices, in their lives.
Did you actually read all my posts in this thread to get all the information? Or did you jump to that conclusion based only on one post? Thank you so much for your pre-judgment and lack of help. If you don't have anything productive to add to the thread, please save your nasty comments. Otherwise, I suggest you read my other posts before passing judgment and then join in on a more adult conversation, one that includes all the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,103 posts, read 4,008,927 times
Reputation: 9985
Ok I will probably catch HELL for this...but we have a very large company here in my area in which the accounting department is something like 90% African American. This is EXTREMELY unusual for the area demographically. I had a quick stint with the company after a layoff and took whatever came my way. As it turns out the pay is extremely poor and the benefits are non existent at the company. Most people who have the ability to will up and leave this company when something better comes along. However a good deal of these employees for whatever reason are not in a situation where they can take risks and leave for another opportunity. I made good friends with a few employees there and some of them are supporting their extended family though their paycheck, and cant afford to jump ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 12:35 PM
 
2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
Reputation: 4644
I would be asking about their pay and benefits for their staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top