U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 02:50 PM

12,914 posts, read 19,782,209 times

Advertisements

I have very little idea what my grand nieces and nephews look like, their parents are also very reluctant to post about them.
Once a year I get a photo Christmas card. My own son and DIL often post pictures of our grandson, but they have locked down their privacy settings to the point that even we grandparents can't share them. So, it is possible to keep the family abreast of the children, without over-exposing anything.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:53 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
I share photos of my kids for the same reason. My family and friends are all over the country so it's nice for them to see the kids grow and I appreciate seeing their photos too!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:59 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Also keep in mind that regardless of what you do personally in regards to social media, your kids can (and will) have their pictures taken by other parties, and often, they will use those images for marketing and other purposes.

Camps, schools etc all do this, and you have to be proactive about opting out. A couple of years ago, a very popular day camp my child attended used her picture on its website, which is viewed by thousands of people. Although her name wasn't included, I got several texts and messages from friends who noticed her picture. Now, I always look for, and check, the box that says her photo can't be used (if that option is even offered).
That's pretty crappy thing to do. Only one or two out of an entire school have opted out kids. The photographer needs to be notified and the kid will actually be moved from an activity that will be photographed. So not worth it, such a head ache and not fair to your kid. Just cause you are paranoid?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:02 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Friends/family all over the world.

I love seeing everyone and everything.

Just post sensibly.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:05 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why does it have to be Facebook? You can always email or text pictures to your friends and relatives.

Or--gasp!--get prints and mail them.

I get to see plenty of pictures of my nieces & nephews & grand-nieces and grand-nephews & grandson without being on Facebook.

I am always surprised when people say that Facebook is the only way that they can "keep up with relatives". People would probably be shocked to learn that I talk to my siblings & other relatives on the phone and we frequently send emails to each other and actually attach photographs.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:07 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
We don't even have ourselves on social media and there is no way we would post photos of our children or grandchildren.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:11 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That's pretty crappy thing to do. Only one or two out of an entire school have opted out kids. The photographer needs to be notified and the kid will actually be moved from an activity that will be photographed. So not worth it, such a head ache and not fair to your kid. Just cause you are paranoid?
In my former school sometimes it was one or two children per classroom that opted out of photographs viewable by the public. In some of the special education classes it was as high as 25% of the class some years (and other years zero).

Why would it be "not fair" to the children to not allow their photographs to be used for publicity shots or other public viewing?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:13 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my former school sometimes it was one or two children per classroom that opted out of photographs viewable by the public. In some of the special education classes it was as high as 25% of the class some years (and other years zero).

Why would it be "not fair" to the children to not allow their photographs to be used for publicity shots or other public viewing?
I don't want to give away too much, but I have never seen it more then 1-2 kids per camp or even school. It's not just for adverts. Usually it used to share with parents. The only parents who opt out that I have met seem overly paranoid. And want photos taken still and given directly to them. Nope...sorry. You are making someone's job super hard, no pictures for you.

And yep, we march the kids out of the activity so we can photograph it. The other parents expect these photos.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:18 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,132,399 times
I post pictures of my children, but I always think to myself first "would my kid be alright with their future boss seeing this 30 years from now?" So lots of pics of fully clothed smiling kids doing things like opening presents at a birthday party or riding the carousel at the zoo or posing with Grandma. Nothing embarrassing.

I keep my GPS turned off except when using it, and make sure to turn off the feature of geo tagging pictures. I also follow workplace topic rules on Facebook: no religion, no politics. And I never ever post about vacations or leaving the house until we are already back home. Beyond that, my paranoia stops.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:19 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I get to see plenty of pictures of my nieces & nephews & grand-nieces and grand-nephews & grandson without being on Facebook.

I am always surprised when people say that Facebook is the only way that they can "keep up with relatives". People would probably be shocked to learn that I talk to my siblings & other relatives on the phone and we frequently send emails to each other and actually attach photographs.
It's not the only way, but I effin hate email. Most people I know do, too. The only people I know who use email to communicate regularly (socially, not business) are really old. It's slow and cumbersome. And I associate email with all the work I have to do because all our company business is done over email. So I am loathe to go back there and do anything with it later.

FB is a faster and more convenient way. And responses and discussion are much easier to manage in that program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or