Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:33 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times

Advertisements

I take proper precautions on Facebook- my profile is private, and no one can "share" my photos. I don't post embarrassing photos of my kids, nor do I post political things (but really, that's basic manners/FB etiquette).

It is good to be cautious, but I refuse to be paranoid.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:34 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
When I was eight I bought a Brownie Bullet b/w camera. Great photos; often the only photos we have of my baby brother and grandpa were photos I took. But at that age I had an innate sense that you don't take photos of other people without their permission.

That innate boundary seems to be missing nowadays.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That's pretty crappy thing to do. Only one or two out of an entire school have opted out kids. The photographer needs to be notified and the kid will actually be moved from an activity that will be photographed. So not worth it, such a head ache and not fair to your kid. Just cause you are paranoid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my former school sometimes it was one or two children per classroom that opted out of photographs viewable by the public. In some of the special education classes it was as high as 25% of the class some years (and other years zero).

Why would it be "not fair" to the children to not allow their photographs to be used for publicity shots or other public viewing?

Correction to my post.

Due to confidentially our school never gave out a list of which students were on the "do not photograph" list. It was only on a "need to basis", so teachers would only know about their own classroom or if they ran a structured activity. The photographer who took fall & spring school photographs came two or three additional times per year to take group photographs of clubs and classroom photographs, so obviously they needed to know, too.

Getting back to my post. I realize now that it was immediately after 9-11, when so many of the other teachers were commenting about having one or two (or three) children, in their classrooms, not allowed to be in photographs. It must have been unusual or they would not have commented to other teachers.

I taught special education and it varied dramatically. Sometimes, years would go by and not even one parent would "opt out" of photographs and then there would be a period where several parents did not want their child to be photographed, or not want the child in any group photographs that could be seen by other parents.

Sometimes we did group activities, with other special education students so I would be aware of the photograph status of students in those programs. One year, it was 25% of the students in the program for emotionally disturbed children whose parents refused to allow photographs to be taken. They did not even allow the teacher to post photographs of their children inside the classroom. But that percentage was much higher than usual.

I wanted to clarify my post, now that I realized that the reason that I was remembering high numbers was because it was the period immediately after 9-11.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I feel confident Mattie is a better mom than this, and would not take steps to undermine her children and their parenting.

This would be a quick way to cause unnecessary drama with your kids. Why would you want to do that?
Why thank you Afternoon Coffee. Exactly right. Not my child, not my decision as to who has access to posts about him.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:25 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I post pictures of my children, but I always think to myself first "would my kid be alright with their future boss seeing this 30 years from now?" So lots of pics of fully clothed smiling kids doing things like opening presents at a birthday party or riding the carousel at the zoo or posing with Grandma. Nothing embarrassing.

I keep my GPS turned off except when using it, and make sure to turn off the feature of geo tagging pictures. I also follow workplace topic rules on Facebook: no religion, no politics. And I never ever post about vacations or leaving the house until we are already back home. Beyond that, my paranoia stops.

That's exactly how I handle it too.

I don't ever post any pictures that I think would be unduly embarrassing to my kids. No bath tubs, no toilets, etc. But yes, I do post pictures of them doing cute or child-like things, such as climbing a tree or flying a kite or having fallen asleep with the light on and an open book in front of them. I highly doubt that a future boss, 20 years from now, will see one of these pictures and say "bus man's daughter fell asleep while reading when she was 7 years old, so clearly she would not be a reliable employee now." And if this does happen . . . well, that's not the kind of boss any sane person would want to work for anyway.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:27 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I don't post a ton on facebook to begin with but I do post a few photos of my son or funny things that he's said. At 11, he's usually the one say "take a picture to put on Facebook!" He likes that our friends and family members get to see those things and enjoys looking when I show him a photo of a cousin or family friend.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Your child. Your choice.

I take photos at many events for friends and family. People always ask me where they can find the photos on Facebook. I let them know that I do not put photos of these events on the internet. Many of our houses are very distinct and digital photos include GPS coordinates in the embedded info that you can't see in a photo. I do not want to be the reason some wacko is hanging out around the neighborhood. I am also happy to make them a DVD of the photos. Most had no idea what kind of info is embedded in photos and appreciate that I won't put these photos online. They're not my children. I don't have a right to do that. If the parents want to, then they can. If they don't want to, they have that right as well.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:26 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
It's impossible really. I tried FB for about 6 months and it royally creeped me out so I left. But during that 6 months I found so many photos of me and my kids that we had never posted. My relatives had posted them, my employer at the time had posted them, my kids friends had posted them, parents of my kids friends had posted them. With our names and everything, so it's not as if they were just random people in a photograph - just from these photos you would learn: our name, what we looked like, where I worked, where my kids went to school, what city we lived in, and how old my kids are.

There's nothing we can do about it. People are people and not everyone is conserate or thoughtful, or even thinks of this as a problem.

The final straw was when I came across the photo albums of a family friend or sometimes babysitter, who was posting photos of me when I was a little kid. She used to play dress-up with me and put me in these dresses and oversized high heels and do my hair and makeup. Some of them were fine and modest, even a little funny in a cute little girl wearing mommies shoes and lipstick kind of way. But in a few I look like the bride of Edward Scissorhands or Frankenstein or something... and people were commenting on those photos in really nasty ways. It made me feel a little violated, because I didn't even know those photos existed (I remember playing dress up but I don't remember having my photos taken) and also they were posted in a sort of mean spirited way, which was hurtful. (The former babysitter/family friend was always jealous of me, and liked to make fun of me any chance she got.)

Anyway - it's just impossible. Even if you are not on FB, there will most likely be photos and info about you and your kids on there. Whether we like it or not.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I used to post a picture on Facebook of friends who came to visit us, and other friends around the country enjoyed seeing them. Nobody objected, but anymore, I'm reluctant to do that. Its safer to not post anyone else's image without their permission.
I am not photogenic, so I do not like it when others post a picture of me.
There have been a few situations in which people have posted videos of their children which I thought were embarrassing for the child. Also, some of my family members are in the military or police departments, and they do not want any exposure on public media at all.
Bottom line, I just browse, but don't participate.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My baby granddaughter has no presence on social media.
Her parents want it that way and we honor their request.

We DO have other means of sharing photos and videos among family and very close friends though.

Your granddaughters parents sound like me and my spouse. I made it very clear that once I became pregnant that I would not announce the pregnancy on social media and I will not post pictures on social media. Everyone respected my wishes except my MIL and I had to have a talk with her. We haven't had any issues after that.

All pictures are done with prints given to family and videos shared outside of social media. Yep, old school but that's the way we want it.

It is hard to keep track of it though, everyone uses their phone to take pictures and instantly download to their Facebook, etc. I have to remind them to not post the pictures or ask us first. It is a big PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting