U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:40 PM

135 posts, read 104,298 times

Advertisements

A 73 year old man ran his hand through my long hair in the library. I'm a 29 year old male and he proclaimed to work with the church. I didn't care to make a post over it. But shucks the memory remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM

15,192 posts, read 16,044,725 times
It was meant as a gesture of admiration and affection. Accept it as such and be glad we still have human interaction in this age of digital everything.

I was a very blonde little girl growing up in S. Texas. Both at home and on trips to Mexico people would touch my hair. It was never a big deal.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:50 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Thank you. Just sounds like I'm being to anal and protective from these responses. That's what I wanted to know. Thank you all.
I was warned about it as I was in the process of adoption from Central America. It still freaked me out a bit at first. I just wasn't used to it. It might happen again, just roll with it.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,270,072 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I'm not ok with it after the explanation. Actually, I am still not sure how I feel. Truthfully, I still feel weird. Trying to see if I'm being over cautious or what not
Honestly I would feel very weird about it too. I just don't like random people touching my kids, especially as babies. I would not say or do anything about it though, because it is meant out of kindness or as a compliment. I've had several elderly people grab my kids' feet when they were babies and I toted them around barefoot everywhere. It always made me uncomfortable, but I just let it go because they were just admiring and taking time to talk to them.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:57 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I'm not ok with it after the explanation. Actually, I am still not sure how I feel. Truthfully, I still feel weird. Trying to see if I'm being over cautious or what not
I wouldn't be OK with it. Were you in Central or South America? If so, their culture would prevail but you would think that they would respect someone that was not a part of their culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I was warned about it as I was in the process of adoption from Central America. It still freaked me out a bit at first. I just wasn't used to it. It might happen again, just roll with it.
Yes, but you were in Central America. Was the OP in Central America? If not, I think this would be inappropriate. I don't believe in forcing your customs on others. I also don't like strangers touching my dogs or kids. You don't know where their hands were last.

I think it is weird. If it happens in their country fine. Had she done it to my child, she would probably think twice before doing it to someone else.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:59 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,639,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingding View Post
Are your boys blond? Rubbing a blond child's hair is "good luck". It's an old superstition/cultural thing.
I thought that was for redheads.

To the OP, after the explanation from my wife I wouldn't feel uncomfortable about it but i would be wary that it could happen any time any latinas were close to my kids.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,123,733 times
Don't care what peoples cultural background is, what's the point in teaching your children about not listening to or going with strangers yet they can come up and run their hands through their hair and do what else? I agree with dad on this one. If your not a family member or a friend leave your hands off other people's kids!!!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:47 PM

3,755 posts, read 1,593,874 times
Quote:
Hi all,

An interesting thing happened when I was at target the other day.

Please tell me how/what you would have done in this instant.

I was with my wife and boys at target. My wife was waiting for some coffee at the Starbucks they have in the target and my boys and I were waiting for her. They were in their strollers with me. A lady( Hispanic, that will be of relevance later) while walking out of the store passed me then my boys and ran her hand through their hair. We don't know the lady at all. When I say ran her hands, I'm not saying just touched their head but ran, like carressing, their hair. I saw it and was in a little bit of shock like did that just happened. I called out to my wife, who is Hispanic, and let her know what happened. She saw the lady and just shook it off and later explained to me that in the Hispanic culture, they do that sometimes with young kids to wave off evil spirits.

I don't know how to feel about that. What would you say/ do? Thank you.
Trust your wife's judgement. Each culture has its own mores and customs.

On occasion I kiss my sons forehead and also kissed my father the same way. To some it may seem odd but we are Italian. It's permitted.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I wouldn't be OK with it. Were you in Central or South America? If so, their culture would prevail but you would think that they would respect someone that was not a part of their culture.

Yes, but you were in Central America. Was the OP in Central America? If not, I think this would be inappropriate. I don't believe in forcing your customs on others. I also don't like strangers touching my dogs or kids. You don't know where their hands were last.

I think it is weird. If it happens in their country fine. Had she done it to my child, she would probably think twice before doing it to someone else.
If you read my first post about it, you will read that it also happened back in the states, but not to the degree as when I was in Central America. And it also still happens from time to time to my 10 year old son, who doesn't care for it.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:12 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
When I was a small child we went to Tijuana about once a month to shop. I was a towhead and had DOZENS of Mexicans touch my hair while we were walking around and going in and out of shops. They liked my hair. It made me feel special.

It also made them knock a few pesos off the price of whatever it was my mother was bargaining for.

No ill-effects, BTW. No weird diseases passed on by strangers running their fingers through my hair. Your children will take their clues from you. If you get upset about it....they will get upset about it. My parents knew it was a sign of affection for the little, blonde Norte Americana and treated it as such.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-22-2015 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or