U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:16 AM

563 posts, read 352,726 times

Advertisements

It may better to tell the kid now. Only little kids believe in Santa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 01:18 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,884,310 times
I was 10 when I found out Jesus was not born on December 25th so why would a 9 year old not believing Santa is real come as a surprise.

Happy Saturnalia!

Old 12-25-2015, 03:20 AM

465 posts, read 271,156 times
I have 3 adult children...boy do I miss the innocence...the OPs post made me laugh. MC!

Old 12-25-2015, 03:32 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Why do people even tell their kids about Santa, anyway? It's SO strange to me.
im sure it must seem like an oddity on many levels..

but,

some kids have a pretty hard/harsh child-hood, and Christmas is for kids, it can be magical time, leading up to it,,,from the Christmas shows to decorating the tree to the traditional foods ,

I have fond memories of Christmas, and we were poor, it was a reprieve in winter (a week off from school too )
and the anticipation would build up to what type of gift we may get, and it was one of the very very few times id see my great grandmother/grandparents/aunts and uncles (for xmas dinner)

I think kids, don't want to disbelieve, because Christmas's may be one of their earliest comforting. fun memories... and what kid doesn't like to unwrap gifts??

the whole santa thing,,,,, I remember was very intriguing,,, at an early age, I would see three in three different stores and ask my mother how was this possible?? I had older step brothers saying he wasn't real...but,,,even at 6,7,8,9,10, you may think this santa is a myth,,,,but for a magical guy, and his reindeer to fly around the world and give gifts to kids?? in this often cold, uncaring world???
I can remember in the early '70's being down at one of my grandmothers house , and the news was on tv about viet nam, and the killing/deaths of war,, one of my uncles said lets hope you kids dont have to go off to war when you get older,,,,,this terrified us,,and it was Christmas!! we ran away from him,,,,asked grandmother to shut the tv off, she did,,,and we had the warmest best Christmas,,,,around a decorated tree, family members opening gifts........

around 7-8 yrs old most kids realize its impossible for santa to do what the kids once believed...
but some kids hate to let it go.... and the message we use to hear was the "spirit of santa claus lives on forever"

easter was a bit more far fetched,,,with an easter bunny dropping off candy,,,but again as kids,,if we woke up and there was candy around the house ...and we had a blast...trying to find it all...

kids are the innocents in this world..... if their is a myth or two that is magical to kids,,then I see no harm in it,,

Old 12-25-2015, 04:44 AM

4,934 posts, read 2,562,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Should I tell my aunt and uncle?
No

Old 12-25-2015, 04:59 AM

4,934 posts, read 2,562,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Why do people even tell their kids about Santa, anyway? It's SO strange to me.
Maybe because being a child is magical and fun. Why do children naturally pretend? Why not just go ahead and tell them that when they put on that Cinderella costume that they really aren't Cinderella? Is that SO strange? Why can't we all just pretend for a moment? It creates joy--what is so wrong with that?

I am not sure what I ever said to my sons. I do remember telling them that someone IS Santa, when they questioned it. It is not as if there isn't one, someone is Santa. Parents get bestowed magical powers when they have children.

How can anyone ever say there is no Santa? Open up the news during holiday times and tell me there is not the magical power of Santa when so many under privileged kids will have bundles of gifts from total strangers that care? So many people take a family in need and make sure they have a Merry Christmas. My sons are adults now and I still tell them to be sure to send an email to Ms Klaus to what they want and they do send me an email: Dear Ms Klaus...

Good ole Saint Nicholas: St. Nicholas was a Christian bishop who provided for the poor and sick, and is the basis for the popular character of Santa Claus.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:33 PM
EA

5,472 posts, read 4,661,911 times
I never bothered lying to my kids about fictional characters. They're just as happy to get presents as any deluded kid.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:25 PM

12,408 posts, read 13,084,552 times
a family i know did this

when her kids started saying the whole "Santa's not real" thing
the mom said flat out "if you don't believe in Santa, you don't get any gifts."

it was hilarious. now her adult kids, in their 30s, are telling their nephews and nieces "if you don't believe in Santa you don't get any gifts" and their eyes get all big and they just love it!

Old 12-25-2015, 01:30 PM

i grew up in a thoroughly secular Santa Claus home, and raised my children in a thoroughly secular Santa Claus home. When my son was a toddler, we attempted to give him a definition of God. He listened intently and then said, "I get it. God is the boss of Santa Claus."

Old 12-25-2015, 01:38 PM

here's the family story my mother tells
my big brother has always been a bully with a mean streak (today he is a very successful attorney in Washington DC)

apparently my mother overheard him in his most mean voice saying to me the little sister (i think i was only 4) with all the cruelty and meanness he could muster, "Santa's not real. It's just your parents."

My mother was very mad at him for this, and she was yelling at him, and I walked over to her and patted her on the arm trying to comfort her and said, "It's OK. At least there's still the Easter Bunny."

i love that story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting