Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,181,384 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have a clue what to tell him.

A gay friend told me that the hardest part of meeting/dating for her was - she didn't know if they were gay or not after she met someone/developed a crush.

Do you have gay friends/family? I'd have him confer with people who've lived it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,778,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
^^ I'd like to clarify that when I say I haven't done it, I meant saying it to her. I am supporting and paying for my boyfriend through college, a responsibility that is suppose to belong to his parents.
I suspect your boyfriend is much younger than you, and very hot.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:47 PM

107 posts, read 88,893 times
Pray for him.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,888,467 times
Teach him to have the same respect for that guy and his girlfriend as he should if his was not gay and crushing on a girl who already had a boyfriend:

- Leave them alone. Don't throw your feelings out there to someone who is already taken no matter what the sexual orientation.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:23 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,453,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Teach him to have the same respect for that guy and his girlfriend as he should if his was not gay and crushing on a girl who already had a boyfriend:

- Leave them alone. Don't throw your feelings out there to someone who is already taken no matter what the sexual orientation.
I really like this post.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,094,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
I suspect your boyfriend is much younger than you, and very hot.
We're 7 years apart.

And this is another double standard that we encounter. There are plenty of straight couples out there with age differences much farther apart than ours. And yet, people keep describing me as "creepy" or "creeper" because of our age difference all the while being perfectly fine with a husband that is 10-15 years older than his wife.

And no, I'm not overweight or whatever. I'm actually a health freak. I watch what I eat and I work out every other day. So does he.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,226 times
Thank you

Old 01-22-2016, 03:31 PM

389 posts, read 420,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post

Agree 100%!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:07 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,777,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You do have a good point. It shouldn't be anymore difficult than being straight.

That said, one of the harshest lessons a young gay kid learns is most people aren't gay and are hostile toward gay people.

My previous advice stands, which is for the dad to leave his son alone on this one. Let him learn on his own. And my advice to his son also stands. He needs to be careful how he presents himself. It will get better. It gets better for everyone. In the mean time, he needs to guard himself.
I agree with this. These kids are in 7th grade - about 12yo. There is no reason to rush into any kind of relationship at this age. Just continue the friendship, it is much healthier. And, the other boy has a girlfriend so clearly he is not ready/available for a gay relationship. And even if he did have gay feelings, the parents may not be OK with it, especially at this age. The other parents may not be as accepting, they may be afraid of their child getting bullied, they may have a stress attack over it! Many parents take years to accept it -- and many that can accept it about an adult son may not accept it about a 7th grader who they may feel is "going through a phase". (I'm not saying it is or isn't a phase, but there IS a spectrum of sexuality and he's YOUNG! Redirect your son toward schoolwork, sports and other extracurricular activities to keep busy. (note- I'd say that to heterosexual kids that think they need to "date" in middle/HS too!).

Soon, the kids will be in HighSchool and should be focusing primarily on their STUDIES. All the other stuff is unnecessary. Let him find himself in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting