Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

30 days isn't enough to find a job. Even if put in say five or six applications a day and goto job fairs and cruise around town double checking for openings signs, that doesn't mean you WILL get any of the jobs you applied for. It's not being a Debby Downer, this is from my own experience. I've been there and you try for weeks, months and you get no replys even if you have an interview from putting in the time and effort for doing so. I'd say three months or better six months is ideal if you are going to throw her out OP. Otherwise, you are throwing her out too soon or waiting too long. The hiring world is much different than when you'd walk right in, do an application, talk in the back and then get the job. There's HR paperwork including e-varify that gets in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
You are so right! When I was a teen, my first real job, was a carhop; then on to Tastee Freeze! My boss gave me a great recommendation for the telephone company, and that ended up being my career.

We have to start somewhere, and because of whatever situation our country is in at the moment; fast food is a good start. You learn so much, customer service, handling money, balancing at the end of the day, cleaning....all good life lessons. Plus, there seems to be some highly qualified people, doing entry level jobs, because of layoffs. Don't knock it. Who delivers your food when you order at the fast food places? They are supporting themselves and sometimes families with their job.

I have not read all of the posts on this thread; but I know some people think that some work is beneath them. I say get off your duff and get started. You never know, maybe you might buy a franchise some day, or have your own business. What is that Nike slogan? "Just do it!"
my first job at 16 was at fast food. I worked at food service for 4 years. It teaches a lot of skills which were transferable to my next job (helpdesk worker). The helpdesk job impressed my my previous employers, so they offered me a internship. That internship impressed my current employers who offered me an internship which lead to a full time job.

If i just had my degree and no work experience, I wouldn't be in the same position.

OP should cut off all extra spending on his daughter and force her to get a job and then enroll part time at a community college. She should be making a budget and saving up until she can find an apartment to share.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:45 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
30 days isn't enough to find a job. Even if put in say five or six applications a day and goto job fairs and cruise around town double checking for openings signs, that doesn't mean you WILL get any of the jobs you applied for. It's not being a Debby Downer, this is from my own experience. I've been there and you try for weeks, months and you get no replys even if you have an interview from putting in the time and effort for doing so. I'd say three months or better six months is ideal if you are going to throw her out OP. Otherwise, you are throwing her out too soon or waiting too long. The hiring world is much different than when you'd walk right in, do an application, talk in the back and then get the job. There's HR paperwork including e-varify that gets in the way.
It's a pity she didn't start in September when a lot of stores were looking for seasonal employees.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
I am sure this is fairly common with young people today, but my daughter (mother sent her to me when she was 15) who is 22 thinks more menial jobs such as fast food is beneath her. She has had issues with authority and does not like doing what she doesn't want to do, even her mother got sick of it so she sent her to live with me at 15. We divorced when she was 10 and I still stayed in her life and did many things with her but by 15 my ex just couldn't handle her and sent her to me.

Anyway after many issues including her seeing a therapist she finally graduated HS at 19 and briefly went to CC but dropped out her first semester. From the outset it was bad I got her a cheap car which she complained about for "being a piece of junk" (it was a 2001 Nissan Sentra in good condition) and started partying and ignoring her studies and just dropped out. I told her she needs to find a job and she did apply at some retail places but that didn't pan out so I told her to apply at some fast food places but she just says she refuses to work fast food and doesn't want that kind of job.

I talked with her mother but she is married with two teens from it and she pretty much doesn't want anything to do with her.

What can I do, just threaten to kick her out? She'd be on the streets for sure. She has also gotten a few speeding tickets and instead of owning up to it she just goes on about how the police or stupid and just want their quotas.
She's YOUR DAUGHTER. Make sure she knows that you love her unconditionally. Give her a place to live, food and clothing. Then make it clear that all of that other stuff she wants out of life SHE is going to have to earn for herself. She will then begin to learn to take responsibility for herself. Don't expect it over night.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
There's no excuse. Heck, a waitress at a strip club can make $300 a day. How hard would that be? Walk around with a serving tray and take orders for beer.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM

55 posts, read 45,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
There's no excuse. Heck, a waitress at a strip club can make $300 a day. How hard would that be? Walk around with a serving tray and take orders for beer.
That's not realistic if OP, the very person who wants his daughter to get a job, is the daughter's father. How many parents do you know of who would approve of their kids getting a job at a strip club, even if it's just waitressing? Definitely not mine! My mom told me she'd disown me if I ever worked at a strip club, after I made a snark years ago about how maybe if I had $50 for the right kind of Victoria's Secret push-up bra, I could get a waitressing gig at a strip club. Remember, you're telling this advice to OP, who's the girl's dad of all people.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside01 View Post
That's not realistic if OP, the very person who wants his daughter to get a job, is the daughter's father. How many parents do you know of who would approve of their kids getting a job at a strip club, even if it's just waitressing? Definitely not mine! My mom told me she'd disown me if I ever worked at a strip club, after I made a snark years ago about how maybe if I had $50 for the right kind of Victoria's Secret push-up bra, I could get a waitressing gig at a strip club. Remember, you're telling this advice to OP, who's the girl's dad of all people.
Great point. Too many are in the work, make money mode to realize that while strip club work (bartending, waitress, dancer, etc.) maybe options, they may not be fesible to the situation and there for not really options. I don't know the religion of the OP but I highly doubt they want daddy's girl to work at the Kit Kat Club even if they aren't dancing on the stage or champagne room.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
I am sure this is fairly common with young people today, but my daughter (mother sent her to me when she was 15) who is 22 thinks more menial jobs such as fast food is beneath her. She has had issues with authority and does not like doing what she doesn't want to do, even her mother got sick of it so she sent her to live with me at 15. We divorced when she was 10 and I still stayed in her life and did many things with her but by 15 my ex just couldn't handle her and sent her to me.

Anyway after many issues including her seeing a therapist she finally graduated HS at 19 and briefly went to CC but dropped out her first semester. From the outset it was bad I got her a cheap car which she complained about for "being a piece of junk" (it was a 2001 Nissan Sentra in good condition) and started partying and ignoring her studies and just dropped out. I told her she needs to find a job and she did apply at some retail places but that didn't pan out so I told her to apply at some fast food places but she just says she refuses to work fast food and doesn't want that kind of job.

I talked with her mother but she is married with two teens from it and she pretty much doesn't want anything to do with her.

What can I do, just threaten to kick her out? She'd be on the streets for sure. She has also gotten a few speeding tickets and instead of owning up to it she just goes on about how the police or stupid and just want their quotas.
I can understand not wanting to work at a fast food place. She also does not sound like management material.

However, you have been more than patient.

There is a need for healthcare workers just about everywhere. She can start as a CNA or STNA. There are many other careers in health care - medical assistant, biller, dental assistant. She needs to look into these and more.

Dental Assistant courses are sometimes given without charge at dental schools.

Another was to go is hairdressing, esthitician (spas are booming) or medical masseuse.

Yet another, the military. If she scores adequately, she could be accepted. My nephew was rather aimless, in a family of high achievers. The Navy has given him pride and direction.

Take that car away UNTIL she is using it to go to learn a trade. How? Uninsure it. Take the keys. She does not seem to be a good driver. Or sell it. She does not deserve a vehicle.

I would NOT kick my child out - I'd be afraid that they would find work in the sex trade.

But you really need to set her straight. She is walking all over you, and ruining her own life in the process.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 PM

55 posts, read 45,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I would NOT kick my child out - I'd be afraid that they would find work in the sex trade.
Correct! That, or they could find work in the drug trade!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside01 View Post
Correct! That, or they could find work in the drug trade!
That too. It solves nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting