U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM

239 posts, read 137,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm perplexed by this current situation. I've been working since I was 16. I'm 30 now. People need to realize that they need to start somewhere, probably at the bottom, before they could move up the ladder.

Here's a rough draft of my employment history.

Ages 16-18: Grocery store. I bagged items, stocked shelves, cashiered, and even cleaned the bathrooms.

Ages 18-20: Telemarking job while I was a full time student. Summer months I worked at a hardware store back home.

Ages 20-22: Worked in a lab while I was a full time student. Summer months I worked at a hardware store back home.

Ages 22-24: Software programmer.

Ages 24-26: Law enforcement officer.

Ages 26-28: Went back to grad school for engineering.
Age is just a number. I really lol at all these posts that say "I did so and so at when I was _____ years old!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
30 days isn't enough to find a job. Even if put in say five or six applications a day and goto job fairs and cruise around town double checking for openings signs, that doesn't mean you WILL get any of the jobs you applied for. It's not being a Debby Downer, this is from my own experience. I've been there and you try for weeks, months and you get no replys even if you have an interview from putting in the time and effort for doing so. I'd say three months or better six months is ideal if you are going to throw her out OP. Otherwise, you are throwing her out too soon or waiting too long. The hiring world is much different than when you'd walk right in, do an application, talk in the back and then get the job. There's HR paperwork including e-varify that gets in the way.
TRUTH

A lot of the older folks around here who started working when they were really young don't understand this.

I was unemployed for a few months this past year and when I finally found work, it was such a crappy job that I only got to work like 10 hours per week (they would send me home when they claimed that labor was too high) and only got minimum wage. I'm going to be getting one of my older jobs back soon that has 40 hours per week THANK GOD. So sick and tired of the BS some employers put on their workers. Getting and keeping a good job shouldn't be this hard!

OP, it really seems that your daughter has some mental issues she needs to sort out. I would find another therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,613,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My dad physically drove me anywhere HE saw fit for me to work since I too had the "I'm above that job attitude" (between my golf shirt job and movie theater job I found attitude). He would physically stand there and watch me fill out the application, ask for a manager and set up an interview. He gave 0 craps if I liked the job or not. .......
I visited my hometown recently... many grocery and food chains had "now hiring signs", but they all say to apply online. I'm sure it consolidates and simplifies things for them, but missing that personal touch was what let some candidates get their foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting