Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It would seem very very odd... as children really do not have a favorite charity.

How about a certificate for an experience instead?
Then take them to the zoo, or movie and a meal, or whatever the child would like to do.
Another excellent idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:11 AM

649 posts, read 569,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I have found that the more technical the "toy" (and I use quotes because an iPad is not a toy) the less important it is to a child. We gave our kids a microscope and science kit set for Christmas and they spent hours yesterday gathering specimens and examining them. They also got this toy dog from my parents that is interactive and will do all sorts of commands when asked- that has been sitting in their room since they opened it and barely glanced at.

OP, I completely understand the sentiment behind the mass-gift opening that occurs for children during the holidays. It embarrasses me to know just how much our children are given, mainly by my parents, given how many children out there go without even basic necessities. I think it's a great idea to take a child shopping to buy some gifts to donate- we do it every year and it always makes our kids happy to know that they're helping others.
My one and a half year old got an electronic toy dog yesterday too and she's terrified of it. She got so afraid that I had to put it where she couldn't see it. So far the thing she likes best is her toy shopping cart. She's been filling it up with her books and small toys and pushing it around the house having a blast.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

... why don't you take those kids shopping and have each of them help you pick out $50 worth of toys or needed gifts for those kids who aren't going to get anything otherwise. I think it would be fun and have more meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
If you really want to do something for the kids besides buying them a gift why not take them to the movies or out for ice cream?
Yep. Experiences mean more, especially for your grandchild.

I wouldn't give them "a promise." If you really want to educate them about charity and "charities," and not presumptuously judge them for supposedly being over-the-top or gluttonous, then go ahead and make the donation and give the child a brochure, booklet or some other informational item that SHOWS them what the charity does.

Even if they don't appear to appreciate, recognize or understand it at the moment, they will later.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,336,849 times
I am not a believer in an over-abundance of toys and other things for Christmas. For younger children, I usually give a subscription to Highlights Magazine, which they all enjoy. As children get older, we might go to the theater and see a professional play that is geared toward their age group. Recently, we did this for The Nutcracker and then went to tea. It was a winner.

I have been really impressed with so many of the young children in our area who are donating their holiday and birthday monies to our local humane society. Of course, their parents play the major role in teaching their children about donating and where the money goes.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
I'm on board with the other posters suggesting experience gifts, which have been some of my kids' favorite presents over the years. One of my sons was given indoor skydiving for Christmas a few years ago. He had a ball! Another gift that was a big hit with my teenage daughter was a visit to a henna artist for a beautiful temporary tattoo. (That one came from a friend, and I thought it was an absolutely brilliant idea.) But it need not be something so extravagant or unusual. How about an afternoon of ice skating or something along those lines?

Whatever you do, though, make sure it's not something you just hand over to the parents to make happen. Pick up the child or children yourself and enjoy it with them. Then, it's a gift to both the child and his parents, who are probably exhausted from the holidays and would love a few hours of peace and quiet. (Speaking from experience here and wishing someone had thought of it when my kids were young.)

Last edited by randomparent; 12-26-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 03:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Experience gifts are wonderful. When we would visit our grandparents for christmas they would gift us a trip to a local theme part or a few trips to a movie theater. They didn't always go with us, sometimes they had our parents go instead, especially as they got older. Very much remembered instead of a toy I would have forgotten about. And got us out of the house to do something fun over break (we didn't have a lot of money so they were treats for sure).

Maybe year memberships to things near where the parents live, like zoos or museums might make good gifts too.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:29 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

How would it seem to you if I gave each child a "promise from me" for $50 to donate to their favorite charity instead of a gift?
Weird. Kids don't understand that concept yet. I think it might be acceptable to give them a "coupon" for a trip to the Zoo, Park, tea party or something like that.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:45 PM

509 posts, read 554,167 times
Best gift I ever received was the day I was born.
An aunt gave my parents a savings bond in my name.
It matured right when I graduated college. Broke. No job. Loans became due.
Best. Gift. Ever.
I sent a super long thank you letter-she didn't even remember the gift!

Old 12-26-2015, 05:05 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Weird. Kids don't understand that concept yet. I think it might be acceptable to give them a "coupon" for a trip to the Zoo, Park, tea party or something like that.
I guess it depends on the child. I know kids who certainly do understand the concept. Maybe I do need to think about other ways to gift kids, too, depending on the child. I don't want to give each of the 10 kids on my list "coupons" for personal one-on-one events with me. I don't have a special relationship with each of them.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Best gift I ever received was the day I was born.
An aunt gave my parents a savings bond in my name.
It matured right when I graduated college. Broke. No job. Loans became due.
Best. Gift. Ever.
I sent a super long thank you letter-she didn't even remember the gift!
My grandparents gave us them every year. As soon as they matured, my mom forced us all to sign them over to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting