U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:09 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,800,058 times

Advertisements

Have you considered opening up this coversation with your family? It's quite likely that everyone wants to back off all the gift giving, but no one wants to be the bad guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 02:27 PM

15,304 posts, read 16,858,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
That is a great suggestion for some people. Not for me because, quite honestly, I just don't want to do this nor do I see this as appropriate. These are grandkids of family members or friends. Their own parents would find it very weird for me to start trying at ages 12+ to have "special outings" with them.
Then why are you thinking of buying presents for them at all?

Old 12-27-2015, 04:52 PM

760 posts, read 1,423,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I try every year to reel my husband in - this year he was adamant that our five year "needed" her own Ipad. Anyway, I finally gave in.
There are too many kids hooked on videogames and virtually shut off from life, to "force" it on them before the kid even wants to!
Anyway, good thing you have a girl and there are usually not as easily hooked, and more likely to keep other interests in life.

P.S.: though, my thinking always was: if iPad at 5, then what at 10?? Or 15?
It just makes other kids beg for the same thing much earlier than they would, otherwise. And steals time away from physical/social development. But that's just my two cents, my pain as mother of a "gamer" (whose Dad also did nothing to discourage it)

Old 12-27-2015, 04:55 PM

39,156 posts, read 37,766,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Then why are you thinking of buying presents for them at all?
That's what I'd like to know.

Just bring a gift for your grandkid and stop judging the gift-buying habits of others.

My dad's side of the family was a huge mix of step-, half- and in-laws, but even as a child during Christmas at my grandfather's, I didn't expect to get a present from every adult in the room.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:53 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,289,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
There are too many kids hooked on videogames and virtually shut off from life, to "force" it on them before the kid even wants to!
Anyway, good thing you have a girl and there are usually not as easily hooked, and more likely to keep other interests in life.

P.S.: though, my thinking always was: if iPad at 5, then what at 10?? Or 15?
It just makes other kids beg for the same thing much earlier than they would, otherwise. And steals time away from physical/social development. But that's just my two cents, my pain as mother of a "gamer" (whose Dad also did nothing to discourage it)

Well, in fairness to my husband - she's in kindergarten and is REQUIRED to log into three different websites daily (two for reading, one for math). This is in addition to a full day of school and a ten page weekly homework packet. So she has her own IPad which is completely "locked down" and I get mine back, LOL . ( Don't get me started on how much I hate the "new" kindy and the common core. )

In any case, one thing that I have noticed is that since we cut the cable and only allow her to watch preselected shows on hulu/Netflix - she doesn't ask for much in the way of extravagant gifts because she isn't exposed to much advertising.

I did let her look thru some catalogs hen they started coming but we only get catalogs for educational toy type places

Neither her dad or I play video games so she's not really aware of "gaming".....

Old 12-28-2015, 08:08 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,156,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well, in fairness to my husband - she's in kindergarten and is REQUIRED to log into three different websites daily (two for reading, one for math). This is in addition to a full day of school and a ten page weekly homework packet. So she has her own IPad which is completely "locked down" and I get mine back, LOL . ( Don't get me started on how much I hate the "new" kindy and the common core. )

In any case, one thing that I have noticed is that since we cut the cable and only allow her to watch preselected shows on hulu/Netflix - she doesn't ask for much in the way of extravagant gifts because she isn't exposed to much advertising.

I did let her look thru some catalogs hen they started coming but we only get catalogs for educational toy type places

Neither her dad or I play video games so she's not really aware of "gaming".....

My little grandson got a tablet for his second birthday (his father's idea). It does come in handy, because my daughter takes him to work with her everyday, and it keeps him occupied...drills him in his letters and numbers, reads him Dr. Seuss, etc. When I come in the afternoons to babysit, though, it goes on a shelf and we read REAL books and play with REAL toys and letters.

I know what the OP is saying about too many toys...my daughter and son-in-law went WAY overboard with the Christmas presents (okay, he's an only child). Plus, he's the only grandchild on my side of the family. I have two brothers (unmarried and childless) who also spoil him rotten. He got WAY more than a little boy can play with in weeks, even if he played with somethng different every day. He's got more railways than the island of Sodor.

I took an inventory of his toys on the few days I was at his house over Christmas. There are toys he got last year that he's barely played with. IHe has an entire ROOM in their house (it's an old farm house with double front parlors, and one of those is designated his "play room", filled with his toys). He's got shelves of toys and books and a toybox in his bedroom. And a corner of their family room has his popup playhouse, bikes, trains, and more toys. Plus toys kept at his mother's business (where he spends a lot of time).

There's no need for him to have this many toys, in my opinion, but I keep my mouth shut. Next year, I'm going to suggest fewer toys, and maybe some savings bonds for his college education. And the surplus toys need to be weeded out...many are outgrown. They are in almost mint condition, and some kids at a homeless shelter would enjoy them. As far as teaching him to be sharing and charitable, that's going to take a while. At two, he knows (and uses) the word MINE.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:35 AM

5,090 posts, read 3,784,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Well, I don't know what else you want then. You can either take some of the advice or simply ignore it. You might get some of the kids into the idea, but will also have to face backlash from other kids and their parents over it. The lessons of charitable giving should be the responsibility of the parents, and not a random relative who feels the kids have too many gifts as it is. For all you know these kids donate some of their toys each or their time each year as it is.
What I wanted was feedback on my idea of charity. And I did receive that. And appreciate all the input. Thanks much!!! And, Happy New Year to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting