Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Best gift I ever received was the day I was born.
An aunt gave my parents a savings bond in my name.
It matured right when I graduated college. Broke. No job. Loans became due.
Best. Gift. Ever.
I sent a super long thank you letter-she didn't even remember the gift!
I don't think little kids understand that, though. And frankly, the grandparents at least can usually afford to give a bond and a small gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I guess it depends on the child. I know kids who certainly do understand the concept. Maybe I do need to think about other ways to gift kids, too, depending on the child. I don't want to give each of the 10 kids on my list "coupons" for personal one-on-one events with me. I don't have a special relationship with each of them.
How old are those kids? I still think kids still in the toy stage don't understand charity. I go with the experience group. If you want it to be charitable as well, take them shopping for a child that "Santa can't visit".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:02 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How old are those kids? I still think kids still in the toy stage don't understand charity. I go with the experience group. If you want it to be charitable as well, take them shopping for a child that "Santa can't visit".
Ages: 2. 4. 5. 6. 10. 11. 17. 18 -- there are two five year olds, two 11 year olds and of course next year eac will be a year older.

I give my grandkid a session of summer camp for her Christmas gift, but that's only possible for her not the others....

Old 12-26-2015, 06:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Ages: 2. 4. 5. 6. 10. 11. 17. 18 -- there are two five year olds, two 11 year olds and of course next year eac will be a year older.

I give my grandkid a session of summer camp for her Christmas gift, but that's only possible for her not the others....
The oldest 3 should have no problem understanding charity. The next 2-3 down in age, might understand the concept, especially the 10 (11 next year) yo. The youngest 2-3, probably not. The 2 (3) yo will be just old enough to understand the concept of getting gifts next year, probably not a good time to donate to a charity in his/her name, and young kids don't understand gifts such as being taken out to lunch or a movie. Take the oldest ones on a shopping trip for "Toys for Tots" or some such organization, or make a donation in their name. Give at least the youngest two something, since there's so much overload make it simple. The middle kids can probably understand a gift such as being taken out to dinner (doesn't have to be fancy), a movie, etc. My suggestions.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
I don't have a special relationship with each of them.
What better gift than to create a special relationship. Make it a group event and take a handful for a couple of age appropriate outings.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
I have been lucky to be around on Christmas at a few family members and view the gift giving. I also give gifts to some family members and all the kids in our extended families and my grandchild. It always strikes me as sad when the children receive so many gift it takes over an hour to unwrap presents....and these are family gift, not Santa gifts.

How would it seem to you if I gave each child a "promise from me" for $50 to donate to their favorite charity instead of a gift?

What's wrong with giving to your family? This idea of "giving to the poor" has gotten out of hand. Most of those charities mis-manage the money, anyways. If all that money went to the poor, there wouldn't be any poor

Besides, Christmas is about having fun, not about feeling guilty because some have less than you. There's those that have more than you, too, should we feel slighted because no matter what we have, there will always be those that have more? There will always be those who have less, too, get over it, enjoy your own life, and life goes on!

You can't wait until everyone has a perfect life before you dare enjoy your own

Old 12-27-2015, 11:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
I think you would be better off doing something like buying them a 50 dollar savings bond or something. Not to many kids *or even parents* are going to be hot about you offering to donate to charity in their name because you think that they have too many gifts.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What's wrong with giving to your family? This idea of "giving to the poor" has gotten out of hand. Most of those charities mis-manage the money, anyways. If all that money went to the poor, there wouldn't be any poor

Besides, Christmas is about having fun, not about feeling guilty because some have less than you. There's those that have more than you, too, should we feel slighted because no matter what we have, there will always be those that have more? There will always be those who have less, too, get over it, enjoy your own life, and life goes on!

You can't wait until everyone has a perfect life before you dare enjoy your own

Old 12-27-2015, 11:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Elderly family member gets us charity gifts appropriate to our ages and interests, at a charity gift fair before the holiday. For one of the kids, it might be,"a goat has been purchased in your name for a child in Somalia. Child can sell the milk to pay for school fees". We all like it, read them out loud as we open the envelopes.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:22 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
What better gift than to create a special relationship. Make it a group event and take a handful for a couple of age appropriate outings.
That is a great suggestion for some people. Not for me because, quite honestly, I just don't want to do this nor do I see this as appropriate. These are grandkids of family members or friends. Their own parents would find it very weird for me to start trying at ages 12+ to have "special outings" with them.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
That is a great suggestion for some people. Not for me because, quite honestly, I just don't want to do this nor do I see this as appropriate. These are grandkids of family members or friends. Their own parents would find it very weird for me to start trying at ages 12+ to have "special outings" with them.
Well, I don't know what else you want then. You can either take some of the advice or simply ignore it. You might get some of the kids into the idea, but will also have to face backlash from other kids and their parents over it. The lessons of charitable giving should be the responsibility of the parents, and not a random relative who feels the kids have too many gifts as it is. For all you know these kids donate some of their toys each or their time each year as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting