U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 AM

5,074 posts, read 3,772,849 times

Advertisements

I have been lucky to be around on Christmas at a few family members and view the gift giving. I also give gifts to some family members and all the kids in our extended families and my grandchild. It always strikes me as sad when the children receive so many gift it takes over an hour to unwrap presents....and these are family gift, not Santa gifts.

How would it seem to you if I gave each child a "promise from me" for $50 to donate to their favorite charity instead of a gift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 07:54 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
I don't know that they would understand or appreciate that. If you want to make a difference in attitude, why don't you take those kids shopping and have each of them help you pick out $50 worth of toys or needed gifts for those kids who aren't going to get anything otherwise. I think it would be fun and have more meaning.

If you can't take them shopping, get their wish list and physically buy the gift and then take a picture and turn it into a charity for them.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:56 AM

1,682 posts, read 918,276 times
That seems more appropriate to give one of the adults or maybe an "older" mature child. Otherwise you might as well be handing them a Costanza-esque Human-fund card.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
I don't think most kids are going to really "get it". But if they also have a ton of toys, they aren't going to notice if one is missing from you. What I would suggest is asking their parents for some guidance. Let them know you don't want to buy toys, which the parent would likely be quite happy to hear. And that you would like to buy them something they need or could use (PJs, shoes, etc) or books.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:46 AM

635 posts, read 395,560 times
I'm going to assume that most kids don't have a favorite charity and wouldn't appreciate the gesture anyway so I wouldn't bother. If you really want to do something for the kids besides buying them a gift why not take them to the movies or out for ice cream?

Old 12-26-2015, 08:55 AM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have been lucky to be around on Christmas at a few family members and view the gift giving. I also give gifts to some family members and all the kids in our extended families and my grandchild. It always strikes me as sad when the children receive so many gift it takes over an hour to unwrap presents....and these are family gift, not Santa gifts.

How would it seem to you if I gave each child a "promise from me" for $50 to donate to their favorite charity instead of a gift?
Most small children of toy-receiving age don't really understand the concept of charity. Tanking them on a shopping trip as Sarahsez would probably be fun for them. My kids loved to do that for "Adopt a Family" that our local social services agencies do. Heck, my husband had a ball this year running around Walmart buying toys for "Toys for Tots" that his work was collecting.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:02 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
Quote:

I try every year to reel my husband in - this year he was adamant that our five year "needed" her own Ipad. Anyway, I finally gave in.

My daughters request from Santa (both on his lap and in writing) was for "geodes" - I was able to order dozen unopened ones off Amazon.

My gift to the husband was some new, much needed luggage - which was shipped in an appliance sized box -

She played with the Ipad a few mins and then spent Christmas day happily breaking open the geodes with a hammer and chisel and decorating her new "rocketship"

Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 AM

746 posts, read 624,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I try every year to reel my husband in - this year he was adamant that our five year "needed" her own Ipad. Anyway, I finally gave in.

My daughters request from Santa (both on his lap and in writing) was for "geodes" - I was able to order dozen unopened ones off Amazon.

My gift to the husband was some new, much needed luggage - which was shipped in an appliance sized box -

She played with the Ipad a few mins and then spent Christmas day happily breaking open the geodes with a hammer and chisel and decorating her new "rocketship"

I have found that the more technical the "toy" (and I use quotes because an iPad is not a toy) the less important it is to a child. We gave our kids a microscope and science kit set for Christmas and they spent hours yesterday gathering specimens and examining them. They also got this toy dog from my parents that is interactive and will do all sorts of commands when asked- that has been sitting in their room since they opened it and barely glanced at.

OP, I completely understand the sentiment behind the mass-gift opening that occurs for children during the holidays. It embarrasses me to know just how much our children are given, mainly by my parents, given how many children out there go without even basic necessities. I think it's a great idea to take a child shopping to buy some gifts to donate- we do it every year and it always makes our kids happy to know that they're helping others.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:38 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:

It would seem very very odd... as children really do not have a favorite charity.

How about a certificate for an experience instead?
Then take them to the zoo, or movie and a meal, or whatever the child would like to do.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 AM

3,836 posts, read 6,606,791 times
Quote:
I just can't participate in these kinds of over the top, gluttonous, Christmas experiences. It makes me feel sick. How do you do it? Why do parents do this? What are they teaching their kids?

Last edited by photobuff42; 12-26-2015 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting