Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 05:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,303,381 times

Advertisements

I remember in the Memphis area there were two mothers who had babies with difficulty breathing. They put them in the bathroom with the shower running and closed the door. Both babies died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 06:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,874,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I remember in the Memphis area there were two mothers who had babies with difficulty breathing. They put them in the bathroom with the shower running and closed the door. Both babies died.
wow...they must have put asthmatic kids alone in a room, or kids with pneumonia or some severe breathing issue. My son had croup and when he was having an episode we would sitting a steamy bathroom. Of course, I sat with them. Its not normal to leave a child with breathing problems alone. I mean...alarm bells. right?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Tylenol for sneezing/coughing/runny nose? Maybe for fever...
It actually can help with any aches and pains, as well as fever. It can help with sinus pain as well. Ibuprofen can help with sneezing, coughing, sinus pressure and runny nose by reducing inflammation. Ibuprofen even reduces menstrual bleeding (it's good stuff). They tend to do more then people give them credit for. There is also the placebo effect. Kids feel "better", often, after getting a bandaid, medicine or a kiss.

Benedryl is also a helpful medication for colds. It helps kids sleep, can ease stuffy noses and stomach aches/nausea (yep!). Its also very safe in the right dose.

But "cold" medicine...meh. I'd rather pick the medications I would like to use and not use it in a cocktail of medications. Cough medicine is a no go unless its a prescription with a narcotic in it. And we don't use that unless we have to. It will dull the cough reflex...which isn't what you want in most coughs (if its productive, you want to to continue to produce...there is a reason for it).

Now a days, there are medications that can shorten the course of a cold or flu virus. You just have to get and take it very early in the process.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,674,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It actually can help with any aches and pains, as well as fever. It can help with sinus pain as well. Ibuprofen can help with sneezing, coughing, sinus pressure and runny nose by reducing inflammation. Ibuprofen even reduces menstrual bleeding (it's good stuff). They tend to do more then people give them credit for. There is also the placebo effect. Kids feel "better", often, after getting a bandaid, medicine or a kiss.

Benedryl is also a helpful medication for colds. It helps kids sleep, can ease stuffy noses and stomach aches/nausea (yep!). Its also very safe in the right dose.

But "cold" medicine...meh. I'd rather pick the medications I would like to use and not use it in a cocktail of medications. Cough medicine is a no go unless its a prescription with a narcotic in it. And we don't use that unless we have to. It will dull the cough reflex...which isn't what you want in most coughs (if its productive, you want to to continue to produce...there is a reason for it).

Now a days, there are medications that can shorten the course of a cold or flu virus. You just have to get and take it very early in the process.
Oh? What meds are those? The only meds I know of like that are anti-virals for flu?

I think you have ibuprofen confused with something else. It's basically a pain and fever reducer. Benadryl is an antihistamine and can produce drowsiness, but shouldn't be used to make the child sleep. It has no effect on nausea.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,966,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh? What meds are those? The only meds I know of like that are anti-virals for flu?

I think you have ibuprofen confused with something else. It's basically a pain and fever reducer. Benadryl is an antihistamine and can produce drowsiness, but shouldn't be used to make the child sleep. It has no effect on nausea.
I think they are referring to Zicam which does make a claim that if you take it at the early onset of symptoms that it will shorten your cold. Whether there is any actual merit to that claim I have no clue.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:30 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,415 times
Cold air helps croup.... Why is everyone using warm steam? Just go outside in the winter. Bam. Coughing stops.

As for colds, vaporizers and vicks on the feet.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,674,076 times
I just looked up Zicam. It's basically zinc, is considered homeopathic, and neither a food or drug, so not within the purview of the FDA. It's OTC and probably useless.

Cold air will stop the cough of croup. If you have to do so more than three times, you should take the child to the ER. A tsp of honey has been found to be effective for coughs d/t colds (for kids over 1 year of age). Vick's can sometimes cause wheezing, whether on the feet or chest.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post

Applying Vicks VapoRub to Feet Stops Coughs? : snopes.com

Old 12-27-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Cold air helps croup.... Why is everyone using warm steam? Just go outside in the winter. Bam. Coughing stops.

My son was in the south so there was no cold air for his croup. Steam also helps. Not as well as cold air. We were up north vacationing in the late fall and got sick and had several bouts of croup. All I had to do was scoop him up and take him on to the patio and sit with him a while. It was so easy and worked quicker and better then steaming up the bathroom. But if its 80 degrees outside, you have no other choice. I did try the freezer....no help

Old 12-27-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I just looked up Zicam. It's basically zinc, is considered homeopathic, and neither a food or drug, so not within the purview of the FDA. It's OTC and probably useless.

Cold air will stop the cough of croup. If you have to do so more than three times, you should take the child to the ER. A tsp of honey has been found to be effective for coughs d/t colds (for kids over 1 year of age). Vick's can sometimes cause wheezing, whether on the feet or chest.
Honey only works if it actually covers the sore area of the throat. Many sore throats hurt in areas that will not be touched by a swallow of honey. Honey also shouldn't be used in small children.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-28-2015 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: personal attack and bait for an arguement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting