U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:39 AM

5,017 posts, read 4,830,712 times

Advertisements

People should be considerate, everybody knows that.

I donít think this story is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:43 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,758,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I have a kid and I would NEVER EVER have allowed her to disrupt other diners at a restaurant or cry/scream for 20-30 minutes and run around. Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? The moron parents should have gotten off their arses and taken the brat outside to calm him/her down. OR offered to pay the other guests bills since their child ruined what could have been a good meal.

I would have applauded also. I probably would have said something to the parents. And the manager. And the server. There is no way, no how I'm paying for a meal in a restaurant only to have some brat ruin it for me. (I'm talking RESTAURANT, not McDs or similar)
Exactly, and the mother saying "he's just a baby"--no, he is not. 2 years old is PLENTY old enough to discipline for noise, we're not talking about a newborn infant. I once spanked my son who was 18 months old for crying, I mean although I didn't bruise him (obviously) I tore his butt up, and that was in an Arby's. I'd surely expect a 2 year old to behave in a steakhouse. Besides, even if he is "just a baby"--tell that to my ears. My ears hear noise, period, my ears don't care about anything except that the noise is awful and unbearable and it wants the noise gone post-haste. Period. (The same goes for next-door neighbors with yapping Yorkies, but that's another story.)

My reply to the usual "if you're not a parent you don't know what it's like." First, I AM a parent, and as I just said, I tore up the butt of an 18 month old due to crying, in an Arby's, and it worked, so enough of the excuses. Second, even if I were not a parent and "don't know what it's like," my ears know what noise is like. I don't have to be a parent to know that screaming children is an extremely annoying sound to my ears, and my memories of my childhood and what my mother and aunts etc did to me tell me that correcting said noise is a legitimate response. If you ask "are you suggesting that your ears have some 'right' to freedom from such noise in a public place"--you bet I am. That is a RIGHT. Noise pollution is a legitimate problem, and the proper response to it is to FIX it, not tell people to put up with it.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-30-2015 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 08:03 AM

5,077 posts, read 6,229,549 times
First of all, I am a parent. I get it. Two year olds act like, well, two year olds some times. But when they do, you take them outside. You don't disturb other customers. It's entitled and inconsiderate at best. The waitress may not be able to do anything, but her manager should have. The manager should have gone and asked if there was anything he could do to help, as they were disturbing other customers. I saw a manager ask a family to leave one time (comped their meal and brought to-go boxes) because their kids were so disruptive.

I have a friend who was absolutely appalled at how a group of kids were acting at a restaurant one time (I think it was more than one family dining together). After another customer said something to them, and nothing changed, she (my friend) whipped out her phone and started recording them. When they noticed, they suddenly shaped up, finished, then left.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:08 AM

84,967 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Curious what precious nugget of parenting wisdom you possessed to raise (teach) 6 month olds to be well-behaved and sit quietly? As in, what actual techniques you used, that you can teach the rest of the Internet?

I have very well-mannered children, but I don't kid myself that I taught them those skills by 6 months old. However, in raising my 4, I have noticed something interesting: they're all different. Some were quiet, some were loud, some were predictable (some were very unpredictable!) some thrived on a set schedule, some could be easily distracted with food, some with a certain toy or game or song. Figuring out those traits was vital to going out-and-about, but there was nothing I "did" to a 6 month old to make him "behave"
Exactly! While I'm sympathetic to the other customers, I get quite tired of hearing some parents say their kids never misbehaved in a restaurant (presumably because they were threatened enough), or if they did, they immediately whisked them out. Well behaved kids are still kids! They're going to act/behave like kids, and at times that means they'll act out in a restaurant.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:08 AM

6,121 posts, read 3,320,648 times
The kid is two or three and is old enough to learn the meaning of the word "no." If the parents are oblivious to the bad behavior, evidenced by allowing the boy to run around the restaurant, they won't know what to do when suddenly he's 22, living at home, soaking off the parents and refusing to take a job.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:21 AM

84,967 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The kid is two or three and is old enough to learn the meaning of the word "no." If the parents are oblivious to the bad behavior, evidenced by allowing the boy to run around the restaurant, they won't know what to do when suddenly he's 22, living at home, soaking off the parents and refusing to take a job.
Ah, the "slippery slope" of child development. A child who acts out at two, will be a bum at 22. Not how it usually works! Sometimes the change in kids as they grow up is amazing!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:27 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Isn't there like 10,000 posts on this topic?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
the child's mother heard this and yelled, "He's just a baby!"

I would have yelled at the assclown parents too. Take your screaming brat outside if he won't calm down in a minute or so. If your kid can't or won't control themselves at a restaurant, they don't belong there. Get a babysitter or stay at home. That's the choice you make when you become a parent.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:38 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,446,953 times
Chit happens. Luckily it is rare...go with it.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:41 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly, and the mother saying "he's just a baby"--no, he is not. 2 years old is PLENTY old enough to discipline for noise, we're not talking about a newborn infant. I once spanked my son who was 18 months old for crying, I mean although I didn't bruise him (obviously) I tore his butt up, and that was in an Arby's. I'd surely expect a 2 year old to behave in a steakhouse. Besides, even if he is "just a baby"--tell that to my ears. My ears hear noise, period, my ears don't care about anything except that the noise is awful and unbearable and it wants the noise gone post-haste. Period. (The same goes for next-door neighbors with yapping Yorkies, but that's another story.)

My reply to the usual "if you're not a parent you don't know what it's like." First, I AM a parent, and as I just said, I tore up the butt of an 18 month old due to crying, in an Arby's, and it worked, so enough of the excuses. Second, even if I were not a parent and "don't know what it's like," my ears know what noise is like. I don't have to be a parent to know that screaming children is an extremely annoying sound to my ears, and my memories of my childhood and what my mother and aunts etc did to me tell me that correcting said noise is a legitimate response. If you ask "are you suggesting that your ears have some 'right' to freedom from such noise in a public place"--you bet I am. That is a RIGHT. Noise pollution is a legitimate problem, and the proper response to it is to FIX it, not tell people to put up with it.
disgusting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting