Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:32 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,830 times

Advertisements

Acknowledged or not it was tacky and kinda childish.

If your dining companion took exception to just the clapping, OK then.

But if he or she sided with the parents they may be of the same ilk and maybe have wild Indian kids themself that they think the world should cater to and tolerate, even when the behavior is disturbing others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:42 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,750 times
A waitress might not have been able to say anything but the manager can. I've seen it done. I don't blame the man for complaining. I have two children and 3 grandchildren and when the grandkids act up one of us takes them out.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:46 PM

820 posts, read 971,757 times
Cheers to you.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 PM

820 posts, read 971,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Acknowledged or not it was tacky and kinda childish.

If your dining companion took exception to just the clapping, OK then.

But if he or she sided with the parents they may be of the same ilk and maybe have wild Indian kids themself that they think the world should cater to and tolerate, even when the behavior is disturbing others.
Much to my resentment, he sided with the parents, not the man and myself.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The mom overheard the guy complaining, and that's what got them outside. The server didn't do anything.

If it had been a table of women laughing loudly for 30 minutes, should someone have complained? Or guys telling bawdy jokes loudly enough to be heard?

What if it had been a large group with annoying, nasal voices or accents??? Should THOSE people be asked to leave?

Until you have a kid, you don't know what it's like. All parents are different, and they parent differently. Some people (like us) jump up at the first peep. Others are SO used to a higher noise level that they don't get why it bothers people SO much.

I hate passive-aggressive people, and so I would advocate for speaking directly to the parents, not the server. But APPLAUDING after the dude complained??? That's just a d*ck move.

I have a kid and I would NEVER EVER have allowed her to disrupt other diners at a restaurant or cry/scream for 20-30 minutes and run around. Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? The moron parents should have gotten off their arses and taken the brat outside to calm him/her down. OR offered to pay the other guests bills since their child ruined what could have been a good meal.

I would have applauded also. I probably would have said something to the parents. And the manager. And the server. There is no way, no how I'm paying for a meal in a restaurant only to have some brat ruin it for me. (I'm talking RESTAURANT, not McDs or similar)

Old 12-29-2015, 09:01 PM

96 posts, read 226,966 times
Quote:
But APPLAUDING after the dude complained??? That's just a d*ck move.
Oh, I don't know. It might have been kind of humorous at the time, and he was encouraging the other guy. Also, the parents in this scenario don't sound like super-sensitive types who would be mortified by the guy who complained, or the OP applauding. If they were all that sensitive to public reaction, they'd have taken the kids outside before any of this happened. Or skipped dining out with the kids in the first place.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:02 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Some parents are absolutely inconsiderate when it comes to what their kids are doing, I see it all the time. I have actually gone up to a mother at a restaurant and told her that her child was making so much noise it was impossible to eat. Her response was "He's only a baby !" And my response was, "He is acting that way because you are sitting there encouraging him to make all that noise !"

I raised twin Sons, and even at 6 months, I could take them into a restaurant, put them in their little chairs, and they would sit there and eat without making a fuss. Waitresses would come over two and three at a time and say "What have you done to these kids, we have never seen children just sit there so nice and eat quietly !"

It is all in the way you raise them, I was brought up the same way. There is nothing more unpleasant than a misbehaving child, and the parents need to hear it when they are allowing it to go on. This business of "children will be children " is just a lot of BS and an excuse for bad parenting.

Don

Old 12-29-2015, 09:09 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Some parents are absolutely inconsiderate when it comes to what their kids are doing, I see it all the time. I have actually gone up to a mother at a restaurant and told her that her child was making so much noise it was impossible to eat. Her response was "He's only a baby !" And my response was, "He is acting that way because you are sitting there encouraging him to make all that noise !"

I raised twin Sons, and even at 6 months, I could take them into a restaurant, put them in their little chairs, and they would sit there and eat without making a fuss. Waitresses would come over two and three at a time and say "What have you done to these kids, we have never seen children just sit there so nice and eat quietly !"

It is all in the way you raise them, I was brought up the same way. There is nothing more unpleasant than a misbehaving child, and the parents need to hear it when they are allowing it to go on. This business of "children will be children " is just a lot of BS and an excuse for bad parenting.

Don

AGREE X1000

Old 12-29-2015, 09:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I have a kid and I would NEVER EVER have allowed her to disrupt other diners at a restaurant or cry/scream for 20-30 minutes and run around. Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? The moron parents should have gotten off their arses and taken the brat outside to calm him/her down. OR offered to pay the other guests bills since their child ruined what could have been a good meal.

I would have applauded also. I probably would have said something to the parents. And the manager. And the server. There is no way, no how I'm paying for a meal in a restaurant only to have some brat ruin it for me. (I'm talking RESTAURANT, not McDs or similar)
Congratulations?

I didn't say that anyone SHOULD allow their kid to scream. Christ almighty, calm down.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:30 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
Well, we haven't had a thread about this s topic in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting