U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,518,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post
Button battery. thought so.

Ok, even counting that with the best childproofing and supervision sometimes a split second is all it takes and we're not perfect robots. Button batteries are EVERYWHERE, she could have picked it up at someone house while visiting and ate that thing before anyone ever noticed. So much cheap dollarstore junk that falls apart has those batteries. I've found them a couple times on walks even.

I worry about stuff like that. Although I have pets, not kids. I believe my place is pretty much babyproofed for a human toddler though, pets will get into the same sort of safety hazards. I never left my paper shredder plugged, keep pills locked up, string/floss disposed of carefully etc etc etc. One day I must have flaked and dropped a hair-tie. I'm careful with those too, they can be deadly to pets. How'd I know I left one out? My cat barfed it up. I felt TERRIBLE.
I'd let you baby sit any time! LOL

See the pediatrician tends to warn you about the major dangers in the environment. When your babies are going to their well baby visits, you get pages and pages of instructions on how not to kill your child on accident. I never have seen the button battery one. I'm sure if I knew my kid ate one (or my dog) I would google it or call the doc right away and the proper steps. But those things can happen in the blink of an eye.

One time I was cleaning up after a hurricane and had my toddlers occupied in their bedroom where it was safe. I come in and they are sitting on the floor with an open and empty bottle of children's tylenol and grape breath. I had no idea how much they took, called the doc and she told me to take them immediately to the ER. The intern was super judgmental. I felt bad enough. The attending came in and essentially shut the intern up by pointing out these things happen to even the most careful parents. She was comforting, I felt terrible.

It all ended up well. There was only a few in the bottle and they didn't even get full therapeutic doses. Somehow in the drama of the hurricane, a bottle got dropped. I asked my son how he opened it. Clearly he didn't have trouble with child proof caps even as a toddler.

I wasn't a crap parent for that happening. I was a normal parent and a mistake was made. Luckily there was the bottle to let me know something was amiss. Kids can't be stared at 24/7 (and god knows if they were, it would mess with their heads). And things fall through the cracks at times. It isn't about being vigilant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 AM

85,041 posts, read 98,964,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I didn't know either!

Actually, I thought it was common knowledge. I know I've instructed a lot of parents about their dangers.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,518,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Actually, I thought it was common knowledge. I know I've instructed a lot of parents about their dangers.
Well it's common sense, of course. If your kid eats a battery a trip to the ER is in order. But, it never occurred to me to warn anyone nor have I ever been warned.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:26 PM

9,307 posts, read 5,806,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had no idea they were so dangerous. My kids are long past the age of putting things like that in their mouths, but I have a nephew who's about to get to that age, so I will be extra careful to look for batteries when I'm cleaning up before they visit. I have a couple of big multi-packs of button batteries and my mom is always bringing things over to see if I have a battery that will fit, and then dropping the batteries in places where they're hard to retrieve.
Same here, my nieces and nephews are over here all the time. I keep them picked up because they are a choking hazard. Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember something on the news a few years back. But for some reason, I forgot just how dangerous they really were. So, I really appreciate the reminder, I'll be a zillion times more diligent now. That poor baby, how horrible.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:29 PM

318 posts, read 224,036 times
Quote:
I'd let you baby sit any time! LOL

See the pediatrician tends to warn you about the major dangers in the environment. When your babies are going to their well baby visits, you get pages and pages of instructions on how not to kill your child on accident. I never have seen the button battery one. I'm sure if I knew my kid ate one (or my dog) I would google it or call the doc right away and the proper steps. But those things can happen in the blink of an eye.

It all ended up well. There was only a few in the bottle and they didn't even get full therapeutic doses. Somehow in the drama of the hurricane, a bottle got dropped. I asked my son how he opened it. Clearly he didn't have trouble with child proof caps even as a toddler.

I wasn't a crap parent for that happening. I was a normal parent and a mistake was made. Luckily there was the bottle to let me know something was amiss. Kids can't be stared at 24/7 (and god knows if they were, it would mess with their heads). And things fall through the cracks at times. It isn't about being vigilant.
The pill thing, it's so handy that there is the bottle as evidence.

Tiny batteries or little magnets (as we know, both are deadly, very deadly ingested) often don't leave a trace and then your kid isn't feeling well which can be chalked up to so many other things until it worsens. Usually with stories like this there are many comments calling the parents idoits. Duct taping your kid in place would be cruel, and sometimes older more careless children will get things into the home mom or dad don't necessarily know about, grandmas house where she has bad eyes and drops things she can't see hidden in the carpet etc etc etc so many ways for them to get access to things they shouldn't all things that don't equal ****ty parent.

My brothers did that with pills though. the tiny one had a special language communicating with the little bit older non-verbal brother to get him into things my youngest bro couldn't do (like moving something as a step, and reaching higher). got into a bottle of those children's vitamins with the "childproof" cap. The two ate the whole bloody bottle. Mom frantically on the poison control hotline.

I had really bad hands by the time I finished HS, before I knew the underlying issue. Pain killers, could I get the cap off? NOPE. but I'm sure could get most toddlers to do it for me. Those caps seemed more like a false sense of security if anything. I swear they're arthritic proof, not child proof.

Digressing too much, that said, one already gets a novel of dangers with a child, as you said, pages upon pages of how not to kill your kid by accident. get a pet and look up the dangers for a cat or dog, the lists are miles long often missing something critical you may not think of. I swear you'd need a semester long class to cover almost every seemingly innocuous thing that could be a deadly hazard to a pet or child. Facebook has been an interesting platform, vs. when I was a kid pre- internet. Friends share warnings of actual legitimate hazards (pretty much all my friends have children or pets). And takes a second to google to verify if it's true or not.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:30 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,273,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

I've never been told about them by a doctor, but I'm glad someone is talking about them. I knew because I've seen news stories and read articles about it.

Quote:
Well it's common sense, of course. If your kid eats a battery a trip to the ER is in order. But, it never occurred to me to warn anyone nor have I ever been warned.
I think it's common sense that your child shouldn't eat them and that they are a choking hazard, but I don't think people understand just how dangerous and deadly they are, that they can burn a hole through your organs and kill you.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:41 PM

4,560 posts, read 2,792,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
JAY — The day after Christmas, 2-year-old Brianna Florer was laughing and jumping around with her older brother and two sisters, opening presents at her grandparents’ home.

The next day the precocious blonde-haired toddler was dead.

Oklahoma toddler's death puts spotlight on battery dangers - Tulsa World: State
Reminds me of the "Magnetix" magnets small powerful and candy looking. They would go THROUGH organ walls to connect. They finally yanked them off the market, but the FDA couldn't do it legally as they weren't made to be a child's toy, they had plenty of warnings but many people still left them in reach of toddlers...

Old 01-02-2016, 06:25 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,803,674 times
Or those small rare earth magnets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting