U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2016, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
27,994 posts, read 46,352,092 times
Reputation: 19398

Advertisements

JAY — The day after Christmas, 2-year-old Brianna Florer was laughing and jumping around with her older brother and two sisters, opening presents at her grandparents’ home.

The next day the precocious blonde-haired toddler was dead.

Oklahoma toddler's death puts spotlight on battery dangers - Tulsa World: State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2016, 06:18 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Reputation: 38829
Someone should have been vigilant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,599 posts, read 1,268,494 times
Reputation: 4860
I knew it was a button battery before I opened the thread. Those things are so dangerous!! What a terrible tragedy for this family. Unfortunately it will probably take dozens more before anything is done about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Someone should have been vigilant....
Please. It is impossible to keep your eyes on children 100% of the time. We try our best to watch and keep them secure and in a safe environment, but even with the absolute best care, accidents can happen. The parents had no idea she swallowed it. Those things are small and it could have easily fallen onto the floor or into the couch cushions or someplace else tiny hands can reach, but is not easily noticed by adult eyes. I would be absolutely devastated and wrought with guilt if something like this happened to one of my kids. The last thing I would need to hear is someone telling me I "should have been more vigilant." Terrible thing to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 07:12 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,486,744 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Someone should have been vigilant....
It could have happened to anyone. So much judgement...you think the parents and grandparents don't feel terrible? Geeze. It wasn't abuse, it was an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Reputation: 25100
I had no idea they were so dangerous. My kids are long past the age of putting things like that in their mouths, but I have a nephew who's about to get to that age, so I will be extra careful to look for batteries when I'm cleaning up before they visit. I have a couple of big multi-packs of button batteries and my mom is always bringing things over to see if I have a battery that will fit, and then dropping the batteries in places where they're hard to retrieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 07:23 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,486,744 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had no idea they were so dangerous. My kids are long past the age of putting things like that in their mouths, but I have a nephew who's about to get to that age, so I will be extra careful to look for batteries when I'm cleaning up before they visit. I have a couple of big multi-packs of button batteries and my mom is always bringing things over to see if I have a battery that will fit, and then dropping the batteries in places where they're hard to retrieve.
I didn't know either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 08:21 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Reputation: 38829
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It could have happened to anyone. So much judgement...you think the parents and grandparents don't feel terrible? Geeze. It wasn't abuse, it was an accident.
I agree. It COULD happen to anyone... which is why vigilance is sooooo important.

Where did I say no one felt terrible, or that it was abuse?
Assuming I thought that was judgmental on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 08:59 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,486,744 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I agree. It COULD happen to anyone... which is why vigilance is sooooo important.

Where did I say no one felt terrible, or that it was abuse?
Assuming I thought that was judgmental on your part.
Well now I wasn't the one blaming and judging the parents...so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 09:21 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Reputation: 38829
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well now I wasn't the one blaming and judging the parents...so....
Neither was I.
I just think added vigilance is necessary around toddlers.

I also thought that any parent would agree.
Apparently I was wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 09:31 PM
 
318 posts, read 222,591 times
Reputation: 727
Button battery. thought so.

Quote:
Someone should have been vigilant....
Ok, even counting that with the best childproofing and supervision sometimes a split second is all it takes and we're not perfect robots. Button batteries are EVERYWHERE, she could have picked it up at someone house while visiting and ate that thing before anyone ever noticed. So much cheap dollarstore junk that falls apart has those batteries. I've found them a couple times on walks even.

I worry about stuff like that. Although I have pets, not kids. I believe my place is pretty much babyproofed for a human toddler though, pets will get into the same sort of safety hazards. I never left my paper shredder plugged, keep pills locked up, string/floss disposed of carefully etc etc etc. One day I must have flaked and dropped a hair-tie. I'm careful with those too, they can be deadly to pets. How'd I know I left one out? My cat barfed it up. I felt TERRIBLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top